Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
46,000 miles

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I've been noticing a burnt smell coming from the engine the last few days. The tube had cracked after 3 years.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
It arrived in the mail today.

Pulled apart a stainless steel scrub pad, and placed it inside the occ.

The tube was too long, cut it in half. Easy install, only took a few minutes.

I'm gonna reposition it side ways, looks like the collected oil will sit in the blue tube...

this one was further down the list, but fits the bill pretty well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Catch-Reservoir-Tank-Can-Breather-Kit-Turbo-Billet-Aluminum-Cylinder-Black/231684398139?epid=506526319&hash=item35f1775c3b:g:SEoAAOSw-jFaQvfz&vxp=mtr

ok, got it repositioned

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
got a new catch can,did not like the horizontal placement of the previous one. this one costs a bit more but i like it better than the other 2. it doesn't have that oil level tube that can leak after a while.

this one has a valve on the bottom. i am able to hold a cup under and drain it within a few seconds. i pulled apart a stainless steel scrubbie and placed it inside. i got about a tablespoon of mostly oil after a few thousand miles. i've been using it for 2 months.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
word of warning, don't use the hose they provide, it may seem rigid when at room temp, but becomes soft and deforms easily when hot. when you hand tighten the hose clamp at room temp it seems tight, but once hot and soft the pressure from the engine can push the hose completely off.

I got the check engine light last night on my way home, and it went into limp mode. 1st gear still had some good torque but after that acceleration was minimal. I went to the auto shop and had them check the obd code, it was MAP sensor warning. I looked around, and when I removed the engine cover I saw the blue hose had came off the engine. I purchased a length of quality 3/8" vacuum hose, cut it to length and the quality is night and day. I drove around for a few miles and the CEL disappeared and it was back to normal :)

this was the hose I bought.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/gates-3728/belts-hoses-16454/hoses-25069/bulk-hose-16664/bulk-hose---vacuum-hose-18167/3d359da4300a/gates-3-8-inch-hose/27053/4330506?pos=6

the quality hose looks oem.

see how its all defomed? and where the hose clamps were, the material is all compressed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
a hose, even thou it looks round is not the same as another hose.
the hoses they provide are cheap vinyl based, which are not rated for petroleum use.
the vinyl may appear to work in the beginning, but the presence of oil in the air will break/ eat away/ harden the cheap hose over time.

basically you need petroleum resistant hoses, ie fuel lines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
from my reading and research i decided to add a oil catch can to my rio5. the hose leading away from the catch can to the throttle body i purposefully choose a clear cheap vinyl hose (for experiment purpose), as i wanted to see if there was oil vapor passing through my catch can back into my throttle body. to my surprise, the clear hose slowly started to darken up, showing me that there was indeed oil vapor present.

which makes me question the whole idea of a catch can. are we only trying to minimize the amount of oil vapor entering our engines, or are we trying to stop it all together? the only sure way to be 100% positive that there is no oil vapor entering our engines, is to not re-route the air from the occ into the throttle body. ie simply placing an air filter after the occ.

the occ should still catch (most of) the oil particles from the air and not be releasing them into the atmosphere, which is the whole idea for routing oil vapor from the pcv valve into the air intake.

if car manufatures offered (for free) to walnut blast all the GDI engines once they have reached X amount of km's i wouldnt mind. i feel that they are passing the buck on a design flaw, as a cheap way out.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts