Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 2012 3.5L Sorento back in June 2012. Bought used, and had 17k on it at that time. It has been trouble free.........until now.

Tonight when I got home, getting out of my truck, I noticed a puddle of red fluid under the Sorento (wife drives it) about 12 in by 12in. This is a serious leak. I hopped under the car to inspect it, and saw that the bottom of the trans is soaked and dripping. Took a sample drip and a smell of the fluid to confirm trans fluid. Also noticed a brown oil leak under it, as well. So we have oil and trans fluid leaking. I saw the threads on the front cover leaking, but didn't come up with anything on the search for transmission leaks. Maybe there aren't too many trans leaks out there. Anyone else have trans leaks? I am set for the dealership tomorrow.

So far I love the car but these things are annoying:

1. Trans leak
2. Oil leak
3. Clicking from shifter while at a stop in Drive (saw the threads)
4. Thumping from fuel tank when cold upon start up. (saw threads on this one too).

I'm concerned it won't get fixed. I work for a dealership in a service dept. (not Kia) and these factories these days are so damn reluctant to fix anything. Trust me when I tell you this. I was a tech for 22 years and now moved up front. I know how they work and I'm worried.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Please post some pictures of the leak locations if you can!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
WHoa! Why mess with it? Take it immediately to the dealer and wait till they check it out. Should be under 60K 2nd owner warranty for engine/trans and drive train. Sounds like you may have hit something to cause such dual leaks at same time. If you did, then will be your problem. That's why I recommend being there when serviced. Also bring your service records to show that it had been previously properly serviced. (Though should be online if done by KIA).

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
WHoa! Why mess with it? Take it immediately to the dealer and wait till they check it out. Should be under 60K 2nd owner warranty for engine/trans and drive train. Sounds like you may have hit something to cause such dual leaks at same time. If you did, then will be your problem).
Totally agree sounds like she ran over something pretty serious.:eek: Hope insurance covers it, though im sure youll have to pay a nice chunk.;)
Hope she did no fatal damage to powertrain or :(.

·
Registered
532 Posts
:)))) yeahh he has only one post
I kind of wanted to call a troll right from the beginning, but didn't want to jump to a conclusion. That's why I asked for pictures for proof. This forum just doesn't catch a break!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
No kidding. I don't think he would be trolling this. If it is something serious like this, I probably wouldn't be checking back on a forum every hour on the hour. Haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I kind of wanted to call a troll right from the beginning, but didn't want to jump to a conclusion. That's why I asked for pictures for proof. This forum just doesn't catch a break!
Give me a break, you two! I can't believe within a few minutes you're calling me a troll. Talk about a friendly welcome. I don't have all damn day to come in here and recheck my post every two seconds. I have a busy schedule....maybe you don't get that, who knows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those of you who are interested in the outcome of my car:

First off my wife did not hit anything. Just so happens there were two leaks at once.

They replaced the transmission assy for the trans leak. There was a problem with the front pump and seal which was causing the leak. Like our dealership, they do not rebuild transmissions, they have to replace the entire unit.

They replaced the oil pan gasket/sealer with new sealer.

They replaced the shifter assy for the clicking noise while in Drive.

This dealer I visited was top notch. They took care of everything and gave me a car to drive while it was in the shop.

It would be nice if the two forum cops would give me an apology for calling me a troll. Not everyone who is new to a forum is a troll. I mean, geez let
s make it a rule to sign up with an automatic 13000 posts so no one thinks I'm here to do harm.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,575 Posts
Weclome to the site!! :)
Glad everything has worked out for you!! ;)

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
171 Posts
Glad that all got fixed, although did the gas tank noise get rectified?

Willing to give a shout out to the dealership who took care of you in case others in your area need a good shop?

·
Registered
532 Posts
It would be nice if the two forum cops would give me an apology for calling me a troll. Not everyone who is new to a forum is a troll. I mean, geez let
s make it a rule to sign up with an automatic 13000 posts so no one thinks I'm here to do harm.
Honestly, My apologies! It's just happened far too often around here.

I am glad to hear that the dealership looked after you. If only my dealer was like yours.

Hope you enjoy your Sorento now!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
For those of you who are interested in the outcome of my car:

First off my wife did not hit anything. Just so happens there were two leaks at once.

It would be nice if the two forum cops would give me an apology for calling me a troll. Not everyone who is new to a forum is a troll.
I can't see anything suggestive of trolling in the original post. The post was logical, didn't jump to any conclusions (like some replies), and was literate with good spelling. He was also kind enough to give the outcome.

I can't figure out why anyone would post a bogus message of mischief on a car site.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
I can't see anything suggestive of trolling in the original post. The post was logical, didn't jump to any conclusions (like some replies), and was literate with good spelling. He was also kind enough to give the outcome.

I can't figure out why anyone would post a bogus message of mischief on a car site.
I agree,I often frown upon some of our members negative responses. The Kia Sorento Forums purpose is to assist all Kia owners and potential Kia buyers. Lets all try to maintain sanity when posting responses.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
poboy, welcome to the forum. sorry your first post had to be that one, but i am glad that you got your issues resolved and that the dealer you dealt with was so accomodating. i get a general good feeling from the dealer i use too, but the real test is expensive repairs which, knock on wood, i havent had to test them out on.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Give me a break, you two! I can't believe within a few minutes you're calling me a troll. Talk about a friendly welcome. I don't have all damn day to come in here and recheck my post every two seconds. I have a busy schedule....maybe you don't get that, who knows.
6 days is not all day and every two seconds as you put it.

Complaining about oil AND tranny leaks and not having taken it in is suspicious. We do have trolls here that come in often and do the same thing and then almost nothing. Not having heard from you over that long a period will get you a few troll comments. While it might not seem fair, it happens.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts