Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after checking the local radar and weather and finding only local pop-up showers, I pulled the little xA into the garage to put in new carpet. Never could get all the spilled half-n-half out out of the carpet and soon I want to formally hand over the keys to my daughter who's going to college soon.

So the R5, being only 2 weeks old sat out. Sure enough, rain popped-up, then wind, then a downpour, and it stopped. Suddenly.

30 seconds later, all hail broke loose. Pinky-nail sized hail for about a minute. Wife asks if we should go cover it with a quilt or something. I said slowly, "To....late.....now."

So she checks weather.com and says "An emergency statement says we needed to 'seek shelter'. Nice.

Glad to say no obvious damage to the R5's paint. I'll wash her with my tears later tomorrow and see what i have to do if anything.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
I dodged that bullet yesterday. I didn't even see any rain from that storm.

Now the one that hit Columbus on the 29th of June, that was a different story. I was driving when the storm hit. Driving straight into the wind it felt like I had stopped dead. Then the hail hit and I died a little with every ping on the roof and every crack sound on the windsheild.

Fortunately there was no damage but hail damage is one of my worst fears!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now I dodged that one. It went under Akron, grazed Canton, and went toward West Virginia, so of course, you got it.

I love/hate hail.

Back in '90, I was in my late 20's and I got a 2 year old white '88 BMW 325IS for $5K because of hail. Looked like a golf ball. The guy was so sick over it he just wanted to be free of it. But lots of women would come up to me and say, "Ohhhhhh, you poor guy..... are you OK?..... you must be devastated...." And I'd be like, "I can't talk about it...." as tears well up while softly sobbing. Incredible. Hail damage sympathy as a chick magnet. The best.

Don't know what a hail damaged Kia will attract. :confused:

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Hail damage is no biggie... not from my viewpoint anyway. As a PDR tech, I actually fix dents for a living. Living in Victoria, BC - we rarely get hail - nonetheless, I have fixed lots of cars that have come through town with major hail damage. Hundreds of dents on each, and I haven't yet had one that didn't come out great.

Still... I sympathize. Who "wants" to have this happen? Not even me.

On a side note, my brand new Rio5 is actually about to become my new PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) vehicle. Should be interesting once I have it all wrapped and rigged with tools.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
RoguePC - if you could post few pictures 'before' and 'after' that will be great.

For me, people who 'iron' cars are real magicians! I assume you use no fillers, paint, etc?
BTW, I have little dent on a door so what you do to fix it ... ?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Daddy-O...
The Weather Channel and Weather.com has been useless as far as forecasts.
Newsnet5 and Mark Johnson have been way more accurate.
I'm just 25 miles SW of you between Massillon and Canton...
I saw the storm on radar but barely got a drop.
My wife said that N. Canton got it good.
We must have an anomaly in our area that the storms "split" and go just north and south of us by a mile and/or die/disappear just to the west of us. All Summer it's been this way. Last year we had two massive storms "sit" on top of us (May25 and July18th) causing my home to get flooded twice...What a mess.
Dave

·
Registered
131 Posts
Paintless Dent Repair

Before:

After:

Although hard to photograph, this is a typical "door ding", about the size of a nickle. You can see the dent in the reflection, top of the fence, below the house window. It's also what most hail damage would look like (except the dents would be on the hood and roof... and x 1000 :eek:)

Anyway - MaybeKia - in your case, I basically squeeze a thin tool down through the window, protecting it with a stainless shield. Using this tool, plus with the aide of a reflection board or light, I gently massage it out until level - from the inside out. No paint, no filler, no mess - and it's returned to OEM specs.

And in case anyone was contemplating it - I'd advise to NEVER try this yourself. It looks deceivingly simple - but it's anything but - it's a skilled trade and a lot can go wrong. If you do try and mess it up (almost guaranteed) fixing it afterwards will be impossible (or bodyshop expensive). PDR takes a lot of specialized training and tools to accomplish this little bit of *magic*.

·
Registered
180 Posts
RoguePC- how do you accomplish this in areas you can not access with your tool IE hail Damage on the hood/ roof?

Also, I had read that you can remove hail damage by rubbing dry ice on the area on a hot day. Fact or fiction?

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
RoguePC - shame you are not closer...

It looks really IMPRESSIVE!
Do you do this for a living or hobby? For above dent, what is usual charge? I thought to disassemble my door and do similar 'massage' since I do not have proper tools, but if you advise not to I will not do it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
RoguePC- how do you accomplish this in areas you can not access with your tool IE hail Damage on the hood/ roof?
Actually, with the specialized tools I have, some knowledge about how cars are engineered and the occasional "thinking outside the box" I can pretty much access 95% of any car. If I can't get to it, and it's not too deep, I can "glue pull" it from the outside. Not as fast, or as accurate - but can work out pretty good.

Also, I had read that you can remove hail damage by rubbing dry ice on the area on a hot day. Fact or fiction?
This is pure fiction. Dents are created because the metal has been stretched. No amount of alternating heat & cold will magically remove stretch. I wish it could... I'd be rich :rolleyes:

Do you do this for a living or hobby? For above dent, what is usual charge? I thought to disassemble my door and do similar 'massage' since I do not have proper tools, but if you advise not to I will not do it...
No, I do this for a living - it's my own company. I'd charge $80 for the one I posted, which includes a house call. Typically though, it's $80-$300 depending on what I find (but pricing varies by locale too, your area may differ).

Definitely do not try this on your own. It takes six months to learn the technique - training your brain to "see" the tool underneath the metal and read shadows correctly. And if you can't see it, trust me, you will make it even worse. I've even seen supposed "professionals" mess up easy dents.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's another...

Before:

After:

And this one had it's challenges. The Audi TT fender here is made of aluminum - which many PDR techs will either turn down or screw up completely. Aluminum is much much harder than steel, has no "memory" and work hardens quickly (meaning, you can't "play" with it to get it to look right... it quickly becomes rock-like when you move it back - or it breaks :eek:). Luckily I've had specific training for this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Impressive!!!

I had always heard that a dent can not be removed if it is on a crease.

It would seem I have a wealth on misinformation!!!:(

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had always heard that a dent can not be removed if it is on a crease.
Well... what happens is, many PDR tech simply shy away from doing dents within creases. Why? They are HARD!!! And a lot of PDR techs are just lazy (or not as confident in their work). But I like to continually challenge myself. If I do ever decline a job, you know it's impossible. lol.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Last set of pictures are REALLY impressive!!! But some paint job had to be done, correct? I can see a lot of paint scratches.

Well, RoguePC you are true artist. Shame we will (most likely) never meet and let me admire your work...
All the best!

·
Registered
131 Posts
But some paint job had to be done, correct? I can see a lot of paint scratches.
Actually... no, no painting whatsoever. Most people see this kind "damage" but don't realize that it can fool you - and be totally superficial, just on the surface of the clearcoat. The Audi example really does look like paint has been damaged, but it hasn't. I did have to do a wetsand and machine polish afterwards, but it came back nicely... certainly no paint or filler etc.

One more... this one was extreme, deep and on a curved hood line in a highly visible area. If you ever have a PDR tech try something like this, make sure they offer a guarantee.

Before

After

1 - 17 of 17 Posts