1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012-07-19 18.39.31.jpg

Hi.

Any tips on replacing the radiator. seeping through the bottom right corner, 63,000 miles, no apparent damage to front or back of radiator.

On the internet for £185 inc VAT.:mellow:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
How long has it been since the coolant has been changed?
UK car owners state "plate" numbers for years that are useless to persons from other countries... Coolant has additives that counter act the differences between the dis-similar metals within the cooling system. "IF" they are not changed every 2~3 years the aluminum heater cores and radiators get their insides eaten out and fail.
Something to think about...
Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

Changed every year, until last year, although coolant is very bright green, looks clean enough.
Of course no one locally stocks the radiator so I'll get one off the internet, hopefully for Monday or Tuesday, if I decide i can do it myself.
All depends on whether it is connected to the smaller radiator in front of it.

Thinking of putting some Radweld in it or something to get me over the weekend.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UK car owners state "plate" numbers for years that are useless to persons from other countries... [/QUOTE said:
Hi.

Yes , sorry about that, although I have not stated an age related "plate", I have altered my profile to "2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi LS".

Because I wouldn't want anyone not understanding the UK age plate system, to have to open another web page or tab, to put in " UK age related number plates", to have to find that information.

But of course, one could always ask a UK member if one wished to, we are always happy to oblige.

Toodle Pip and all that. :p

Just got a quote for OEM radiator from my "Local Kia Garage", £123.63- old part back exchange .($194.185641 US) ($195.680838 Can )..(10 719.0131 Indian rupees) (6103.25 thai Bat)..(8063.68 PHP) .

Which is the cheapest price, I can also pick it up tomorrow morning, closest I could get on the net, was delivery " early/mid next week."

Any help on fitting is appreciated . ( Be nice).

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
You said "Any help on fitting is appreciated . ( Be nice)."

The condenser is "loosely" mounted on the radiator and will come apart from it. It usually only sits in slots on the bottom and is usually held on the top with two bolts.The refrigeration lines may limit it's movement. Be careful not to bend them.

If you will notice...I did try to help you and had no idea of the age of your car. Failures of aluminum/aluminium cores are common because of electrolysis between dissimilar
metals. Coolant change is helpful in slowing that process. Your radiator may have a crimp problem or a simple design failure..

The below comments are NOT made to aggravate anyone and we are being nice....

As for "be nice"... It is not our responsibility to provide information on your car...it's YOURS.... We need that information (year) to try to help YOU with your problem(s).

We accommodate others here (or at least I do) by using "Ground/earth/chassis/return", "trunk/boot", and "hood/bonnet" when we respond to help requests for clarity's sake.

You said "Because I wouldn't want anyone not understanding the UK age plate system, to have to open another web page or tab, to put in " UK age related number plates", to have to find that information."

Why should we have to clarify something only related to the UK when you are on a "global" forum? We deal with Mileage conversions, weight conversions, gallon/imp gallon/liter conversions daily.

If information is lacking in a request we ask for it and want information we can use to help others... Is this really too much to ask for clarity?

I am not the only person on this forum and my statement "UK car owners state "plate" numbers for years that are useless to persons from other countries..." was made for all that read and respond and haven't a clue to your "localized" system of "plate 55" for a common year. It truly IS "useless" to others.

Well back to the forum...
Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi.
Ha ha. Good post, good read.

Thanks for the info , I didn't know that the condenser was attached, KIA told me it was separate, I will look out for it.

Its good you can speak for everyone. :p

By the way, "Local KIA" was put in because its not really local to me, but its good you got the jibe in about a"55" plate being localized, whereas, of course its the whole of the United Kingdom..:p:p

I have found this forum usually very helpful and would like to thank all those who have offered advice.

Can't find the damn "Like" button.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
The picture in the first post looks like the car is rolling backward off the ramps? Why is the car positioned this way, with the wheels on the slanted ramp part and not on the flat stable part?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi.

Good spot.

Yes, the front Splitter? lips of my car did not clear the ramps when the tyres met them. So I had to angle the ramps away so the tyres could climb them.

Therefore I could not drive all the way onto the horizontal rests , because the angle of the ramps meant the tyres would drive off them.

Sorry for the confusing description, I really must invest in some axle stands.

I had just put the new wheels on as well that day. :huh:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
Old chauffeurs trick: Put a couple of raw eggs in & run it til it's nice n hot, that'll seal it short term...but doesn't do the matrix much good!

Radweld is good but there is something better, however (age related thing) the name escapes me. If it's only seeping I would try anything rather than replace.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi.

What are the two large diameter pipes that feed the second large radiator for, I may have to disconnect them to get the damaged radiator out.

Got car in bits at the mo.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
You said "What are the two large diameter pipes that feed the second large radiator for....?"
If you are speaking about the rubber hoses ... then that "is" the radiator and the other "radiator"/condenser (AC cooler) will have aluminum "pipes" connected to it.. Do not remove them! they are pressurized with R134A refrigerant. Both (what you call "radiators") are about the same size... Which one is leaking? It may be the condenser for the AC.

I requested that you did not use the "plate55" and to give your cars manufacturing date so that other posters (as well as myself) could possibly help you find a replacement.

Yes "plate55" is for "of course its the whole of the United Kingdom" but you seam to have forgotten that it is just a small portion of this much larger globe...
My comment was meant to standardize a piece of the puzzle of your request...
The rest of the world uses the cars date of manufacturing .

You sound like you do not have the skills to properly do the repair as you seam like you can't identify even the parts and may hurt yourself... Seek a proper servicing mechanic before you do more damage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey Dave.

Please don't worry about it, all I said was "Tongue in cheek" , I was laughing as I was typing. I apologise that my sense of humour never came across, I thought the tongue hanging out thingys would convey that, again, sorry.

The large rubber pipes fed another radiator directly behind the radiator I was replacing.
There looks to be three radiators, the one I replaced was nearest the engine, I could not get it past the pipes that fed the middle radiator. But washing up liquid did the trick in the end.

HOWEVER, fixed to the top (non engine side) of the radiator i replaced (the one nearest the engine) was another narrow radiator, from which I lost a lot of black oil- what would this be for do you think- turbo cooling? gearbox cooling?
I've searched the net but can't get any immediate diagrams.
Any help gratefully received- I'm just flushing water through the engine cooling system at the mo cos I'm changing from green slick to 5 year blue slick? (Kia guys words , not mine)

dave, you are wrong, the radiator I am changing is the one nearest the engine, the big rubber pipes feed the radiator behind that one. The metal aircon pipes feed another one behind that , and then there is the narrow radiator that I lost oil from whilst having to disconnect it to replace the one I replaced.

Your last sentence was a bit of a dig, you have no knowledge of my skills set or my many accomplishments in life..but I forgive you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The pics show, the large rubber " braided covered" pipe at the bottom that caught on the radiator I changed. You can see at the top, the top radiator hose going into the radiator I changed which is the engine cooling radiator. The large rubber pipe does not go into the engine cooling radiator.

The other pic shows the three radiators shot from above, you can clearly see the tops of the front and middle radiators and at the top of the pic, the narrow (once oil filled) (darker in colour) radiator that is fixed to the new radiator I changed. So in all 4 radiators in the front of my car!

If anyone does know what the function of the narrow darker radiator is, I would appreciate it. Of course I will contact KIA on Monday but if I can top up the oil it dripped whilst I was changing the larger rad, then I could use the car this weekend.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Radiators

Hopefully this will explain the four radiators and point out the narrow rad and if anyone knows what it does, I would be grateful, so I can top up the oil that dripped out of it when I had to disconnect the pipes that led into the rad I changed.

Thansk

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old radiator

Hi again.

This is my old radiator, the small metal pipes on the left of it were connected to the narrow ( 3" x length of this radiator). Any ideas as to what oil it was cooling, so I can top it up?
Can't follow the pipes in the engine bay.

Thansk.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dave

Hey Dave.

UK car owners state "plate" numbers for years that are useless to persons from other countries..

"UK car owners state "plate" numbers for years that are useless to persons from other countries..." was made for all that read and respond and haven't a clue to your "localized" system of "plate 55"

I requested that you did not use the "plate55" and to give your cars manufacturing date so that other posters (as well as myself) could possibly help you find a replacement.

The condenser is "loosely" mounted on the radiator and will come apart from it. It usually only sits in slots on the bottom and is usually held on the top with two bolts.The refrigeration lines may limit it's movement. Be careful not to bend them.

Your quotes above. You stated about UK car owners in your first post, which had nothing at all to do with my original post. Your second quote, again you mentioned "55 Reg"..not me. Then you requested I not use "55 reg", when in fact , it was you who had referred to it twice...not me. Finally, the condenser was no where near my radiator , the aircon radiator was at the front of the car, third in line from the engine, and NOTHING was loose, in fact, I would say that everything in the car had something bolted to the engine coolant radiator , including the other three radiators! lol. :D:D:rolleyes::D

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Those lines are for you auto trans cooler. You will need to check your trans fluid and fill a little.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Atf fluid

On Sat I replaced the engine cooling Radiator, flushed the system out, refilled with 5 yr coolant. Today I visited the KIA garage to get some ATF who told me they do not supply it, the local carpart store said they do not stock it either which led back to the KIA garage who then told me who their supplier was. I visited them and picked up a Litre of ATF-Q3 which is DEXTRON 3.

It took 65 ml to top up the Automatic transmission.

My question now is..can I use the rest of the ATF to top up my power steering reservoir ?

Thanks for the help, next week I'm changing the ATF completely.

The large rubber braided pipes, were the feed and return for the INTERCOOLER, which is the second radiator , the third being the aircon radiator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts