Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Accord EX 6-speed
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sent a question to Kia regarding the base audio unit:

"I would like to find out how many total watts and channels the base audio has for the latest Optima model? I know that the Infinity has 530 watts (would also like to know the amount of channels it has as well) but I could not get any information on the base unit."

This is the response that I got:

"Based on the information that we have available, I was informed that the base unit would be approximately 240 watts with 6 channels and the Infinity unit is 530 watts with 8 channels."

It appears that they thought I was referring to the amount of speakers and not channels based on their response.

Based on the above, the output appears to line up with what's shown on KGIS. 6 speakers in total at 40 watts each would give you a total of 240 watts. Not too bad in terms of overall power output. It may help to explain why upgrading the speakers for some did make a noticeable improvement.

The Infinity has 7 speakers (not counting the subwoofer) at 50 Watts each is 350 watts in total. That would leave 180 watts for the subwoofer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
It's too bad that the FTC (federal trade commision) gave up on regulating the way power output is rated... Today's values are nothing but a "crap shoot" and are useless in doing any comparisons... It's Apples and Oranges and way over inflated.

Power output used to be RMS output across a standard 4 or 8 ohm load with ALL channels driven at a distortion reading of no more than .05% of THD (total harmonic distortion). The amplifier had to be run at half power for 20 minutes as a condition of pretesting... Most amps today will NOT meet these specs and will fail.

Now it's into what ever load they choose at 10~50% distortion for only one channel and not rated in true RMS values... Garbage mesurements and of no value other than to sell the Chinese junk.
Dave

·
Registered
Carnival EX Limited
83 Posts
Well said. The marketing department has more input into the published specs than the tech department. Take power figures with a large grain of salt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts