Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase Part# A9061 ADU00 hitch for my 2016 Sedona SX. I could go the aftermarket hitch route, but I tend to prefer OEM for the look and custom fit. Does anyone have any pictures of a 2015-2016 Sedona with the OEM hitch installed? And does anyone know if I was to purchase it would it be something that an aftermarket hitch dealer could install easily? Or is it going to have to be a Kia Dealership that does the work?

The only pictures I can find on it is a close-up of the hitch. I'd like to see an image of the entire apparatus to get an idea of the installation requirements.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We bought the OEM hitch for our 2016 Sedona SX. Bought it with the van, but dealership had to order it and install several weeks later. Looks very beefy and well made. Have not yet used it. I would go for the OEM hitch and bypass the U-HAUL or other aftermarket solution.

I will try to take a picture when it's daylight and submit.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Looks great. I watched some install videos for a 2015 Sedona on ETrailer.com for the major brands out there. I saw that there is a trim panel that they say must be permanently removed and discarded to access the nut holes on the frame to install an aftermarket hitch. Do you know if those trim panels are still on your vehicle? I am also leaning toward having the dealer do it so there aren't any warranty complications down the road. I would be concerned that leaving the trim panel off could lead to corrosion issues in the rear bumper area.

I should have included it as part of the sale. I'm dumb.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
The hitch will come with a very nice instruction sheet. Buy the hitch take it home, look at what it will take to do the install. If it's something you don't want to do, have the dealership do it for you....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got the factory hitch for my '15 SXL. The installation is so simple (at least for the '15s) that it is something that anybody with a minor amount of mechanical ability can do. Not only are the mounting holes there, but there are already captive nuts in the frame. The most complicated part of the installation is the loosening of the exhaust pipe to allow the hitch to be snaked into place. There is one trim piece that needs to be removed and they say to throw it away, but I was able to trim it up a little and reinstall it. I ask my local mechanic how much he would charge to install it and he estimated about $40 to $50. The instructions say 1 hour for a novice and 1/2 hour for an expert. I was in the 3/4 hour range, mainly because I am 76 years old and can't move as easily as someon younger and more flexible. I'd say go for it, even if you have to pay someone to do it for you as the installtion cost will be a small percentage of the price for the hitch. Also, the shipping from South Korea was more than the price of the hitch, but was still very reasonable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We bought the OEM hitch for our 2016 Sedona SX. Bought it with the van, but dealership had to order it and install several weeks later. Looks very beefy and well made. Have not yet used it. I would go for the OEM hitch and bypass the U-HAUL or other aftermarket solution.

I will try to take a picture when it's daylight and submit.
Still trying to decide on aftermarket or OEM. From your pictures the hitch looks very similar to the DrawTite/Hidden Hitch model designed for the 2015-2016 Sedona. There are two main differences I think I see - the first is that the chain hooks sit vertically on the OEM hitch while they sit horizontally on the DrawTite/Hidden Hitch model. Also, the DrawTite/Hidden Hitch has a welded mounting plate to the left of the hitch that you can attach the wiring harness receiver to. The difference in cost is pretty substantial too - the cheapest I can find the Kia hitch is about $350 while the DrawTite is $179 most places online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a wiring harness receiver plate on the left side of the hitch, but it is blocked in the picture I took.
The pins are horizontal, not a round pin type. Still, the wiring harness reviver is there.

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
l after a lot of back and forth with my wife and calling lots of local dealer/installers, I opted to purchase the OEM hitch part online. I found a wholesaler site offering it for $330 and $30 shipping. The main thing that made me go with the OEM was that it included the wiring harness. If you purchase an aftermarket Curt or DrawTite, you have to also buy a separate wiring harness. That gets the price closer to what you pay for the OEM version.

I won't lie, I like the rubber KIA hitch guard too - it's REALLY nice looking. The wiring mounting bracket clinches it for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hitch will come with a very nice instruction sheet. Buy the hitch take it home, look at what it will take to do the install. If it's something you don't want to do, have the dealership do it for you....
Hitch came on Friday. Great instructions like you said. I was also pleased to see that it comes with a ball mount as well as the hitch, harness, and rubber hitch cover. All-in-all, a very nice package for the price. Planning on installing in two weeks with my friend before too much road grime starts to accumulate on the bottom of the vehicle. I will post pics from the install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone found an OEM trailer wire kit? I've been searching and can't find one, i'd expect Kia to offer a plug and play wire kit if they offer a hitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Penetronn, can I ask where you bought the hitch from? I can't seem to find a seller that has it for as inexpensive as what you paid. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Penetronn, can I ask where you bought the hitch from? I can't seem to find a seller that has it for as inexpensive as what you paid. Thanks.
I bought our OEM hitch kit from quirckparts.com. I installed it myself and it wasn't too hard. The instruction manual lays everything out for you. There were some areas that were a bit of a pain. Had minor issue with the exhaust removal with the rubber exhaust hanger bushing. The slightly harder part was that the control module harness wiring did not really fit in the metal area that they had in the instructions. I ended up using several more zip ties since the controller could only be in that area but the metal "housing" area did not allow it to fit.

Let me know if you had any questions on installing it yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry been on the road. Quickparts.com is also where I got it. $333.75 to be exact. I ended up not installing it myself - couldn't find a jack that would lift the van high enough to safely do the work. Paid a guy $190 to do it and he did a great job. Even cut the trim piece and reinstalled it just like the directions.

Took it for about a 200 mile round trip with our 850 lbs. Coleman Switchback camper and hardly felt it. However it rained the whole time and now my wife wants to upgrade to an ultralite travel trailer. Jayco makes a few models that max out at 3500 lbs gvwr. So I figure as long as I add sway control, a brake controller, and stick to the correct weights as spelled out in the manual, any issues I encounter mechanically will be on Kia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone here who got the OEM hitch save the instructions? I'm interested in how much the M12x1.25 bolts are to be torqued for the OEM hitch.

For Curt's they say 86 ft-lb.
For Draw-tite's 76 ft-lb.

Seems a big difference. I'd like to compare to the Kia OEM torque spec. I can't find the instructions for the A9061 ADU00 anywhere online.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone here who got the OEM hitch save the instructions? I'm interested in how much the M12x1.25 bolts are to be torqued for the OEM hitch.

Seems a big difference. I'd like to compare to the Kia OEM torque spec. I can't find the instructions for the A9061 ADU00 anywhere online.

Thanks!
I dug into this some more. Besides the bolt size the torque spec is based on the bolt class, coating, and whether torqued dry or lubricated.

Curt supplies class 10.9 bolts that can be safely torqued dry to 86 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've installed hitches on all my previous vehicles and the installation for the Sedona is by far the easiest to install. There's no need to cut any metal heatshields, just a piece of plastic. There's no drilling or fishing bolts/nuts through the frame. The hitch is a direct bolt on. The wiring harness is also simple and quick to access. On other vehicles I had to run a wire from the battery to the trunk. I found that a jack and a exhaust hanger removal tool are must haves especially if you are installing it solo. The floor jack helped me lift up on end of the hitch while I bolted in the opposite end. I would of had to build up a platform with wood otherwise.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Thanks!
set it to 80 ft-lb :) Seriously, that's sounds like within range, most non-engine build related torque wrenches have a margin of error of like +/- 5ft-lbs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks like I'll install myself as well.
I ordered my hitch and wiring harness from e-trailer and installed myself. Took all of an easy weekend afternoon. A good part of it was actually clearancing out the plastic cover IIRC. The wiring harness was super easy and pretty much plug and play. E-trailer has instructions in both pdf and video.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts