Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I got my EX, I knew I was taking a step down in tire quality over the Michelin's. I really knew nothing about Nexen tires but figured worst case I would hate them and get something better after 30k or 40k if they were terrible.

I will say I am pleasantly surprised with the tires. While they were never outstanding in the snow (and now with 53,000 miles I wouldn't want to drive them in the snow as they don't have many sipes left), they stayed quiet up until around 40,000 miles and were overall pretty decent.

Attached are two pics with 53,000 miles on them with about 4/32 of tread left... or maybe a little less. For sure they would get right around 60,000 miles if I was to wear them down to 2/32 but no way am I going to do that on my family car when we take everywhere year round.

So which OEM tires did you have and how many miles did you get out of them if you have replaced them? I am curious how long the Michelin LTX, Kumho Krugens, and others with the Nexen N Priz RH7 are holding up.

I spent hours research tires and a really good bang for the buck is the General Atlimax RT43. Rated really good in all conditions (by both CU and Tire Rack) , should hold up well, and priced right. Got them for $496 shipped with a discount. Pep Boys had a killer black friday sale on the Cooper Adventurer HT ($450 installed!) but I think it was a step down and I couldn't find any test data on them. I was also really considering the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season plus and the Cooper SRX's all in 235 60 18. There are many other good choices, but they tended to be a lot more expensive. I also wanted to go up to 255 55 18 but just couldn't justify it.

Here are what the Nexen's look like when they were new and with 53,000 miles on them (2 front tires - rears were pretty much identical)

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
361 Posts
On my previous Soul, the oem Nexen lasted about 75,000 miles. The subsequent Goodyear Assurance barely lasted over 30,000. After that went back to Nexen's some ECO model, which was the quietest tires I've ever used. It still had most of its tread left when I sold the car at 140K miles.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Nexens which I had never heard of before. I think they're decent all-around tires with long tread life.

Have the Kumho Crugens on the Sorento now. Will see how long they last.

· Registered
2007 Kia rondo 2.4 ltr. Automatic, 2000 Tacoma & 1969 VW bug.
95 Posts
Only 1 response with over 160 views? I guess I am the only tire geek on here or not many have as many miles as I do. :)
“160 views 1 response” ..... that ain't nut’n ; )

I have a question in the Kia “all models forum”.....

The question.....“How many people are changing their in tank fuel filters”.......almost 3,000 views 2 people responded.

It’s really bad when folks don’t even know if they’re having their fuel filters changed : /

· Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
459 Posts
Our Michelins on the 2016 SXL we have 60K on them and we are right at 5/32..so we should be replacing them soon.
Original tread depth is 8.5/32"
These are designed to get better traction as they wear vs. regular tires.
Depends on your comfort level on this newer technology, but maybe consider replacing when under 4/32s or before next winter.

https://www.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/premier-a-s.html#

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Sorento AWD&autoModClar=SX-Limited V6

· Registered
2016 Sorento SX-L, 2018 Stinger GT2
55 Posts
Original tread depth is 8.5/32"
These are designed to get better traction as they wear vs. regular tires.
Depends on your comfort level on this newer technology, but maybe consider replacing when under 4/32s or before next winter.

https://www.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/premier-a-s.html#

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toModel=Sorento AWD&autoModClar=SX-Limited V6
They do have a 60,000 mile life expectancy, and the first site said they work as good even half worn, so half worn will be shortly..We'll probably replace them next fall.

· Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They do have a 60,000 mile life expectancy, and the first site said they work as good even half worn, so half worn will be shortly..We'll probably replace them next fall.
I would say they are more than half worn now (5/32 to 8.5/32nd is 3.5/32nd). If the are wore out at 2/32 that only leaves you with 3/32.... if you want to go to the very end.

· Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
85 Posts
I'm replacing mine at 41,700ish, only because two big a$$ hex bolts made their way into the outer tread. Have 5/32's all around. Was waiting till spring to replace them but I've been surprised with them TBO.

· Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,476 Posts
Coming up on 60K miles, and it's time for a full set. The originals were the Michelin Premier LTX (101H) but I'm thinking of switching to the the Defender LTX tire with 105H rating for a little better sidewall construction. Gets better marks in just about all respects, same price, and with the XL/105 rating, perhaps a little less chance of cratering a sidewall when taking the vehicle off-road.

· Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
426 Posts
I bought my CPO Sorento back in 2020 with ~43k miles and dealer replaced 2 of the Kumho tires. Now, 2 years later and at 53k miles, I think it's time to replace the other 2 of my Kumho OEM tires. There are still some tread left, but I'm seeing some cracks around the treads... assuming it was manufactured in 2017 as the car, it's probably getting too old... there's an age limit for tires, right? Even if the treads still looks good?

· Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
100 Posts
I bought my CPO Sorento back in 2020 with ~43k miles and dealer replaced 2 of the Kumho tires. Now, 2 years later and at 53k miles, I think it's time to replace the other 2 of my Kumho OEM tires. There are still some tread left, but I'm seeing some cracks around the treads... assuming it was manufactured in 2017 as the car, it's probably getting too old... there's an age limit for tires, right? Even if the treads still looks good?
I thought the age limit was 10 years? On my other (non-Sorento) car, I just replaced tires last year with 40000 miles and 10 years on them.

· Registered
426 Posts
Yeah, just googled a bit, 10 years is probably like the absolute max limit! Most manufacturers will want us to replace after 5 or 6 years and probably won't offer any more warranties beyond that. If you want to push to 10 years, you'll need to inspect your tires very carefully every year.

Also depending on where you parked the vehicle. If it's carefully garaged, 10 years should be no problem. However, even if you have no problems with tire blow outs... even if you have sufficient tread left... rubber compound may change perhaps harden and become 'slipperier'? Didn't Paul Walker die in a crash because that Porsche had very old tires on it? Just googled the info... that Porsche had 9 year old tires. They're still good tires, but just doesn't grip as well as new.

Anyway, I'm really a money pincher and try to buy the cheapest possible replacements..., but I don't think I'd want my family vehicles to have tires older than 5~6 years.

· Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
361 Posts
I think Paul Walker died because the driver was speeding like an idiot when he lost control of the car. Then Walker's daughter tried to blame it on Porsche by filing a frivolous lawsuit against them.

· Registered
426 Posts
Yeah, for sure the driver was pushing it too hard, and for sure it's not Porsche's fault. I don't know much about the driver, but old tires could be one of the reasons for the crash. Just as race car drivers pushing too hard on cold tires probably will crash too. Driver error surely is the main culprit, but maybe fresh tires could've prevented them from crashing?

Naturally Sorento isn't a race car. However, under emergency maneurvering or braking, I'd like my tires to still be able to grip rather than slide.

Anyway, I never paid much attention to tire age before because I drive so much in CA and tires will wear out way before these age limits. It's after I began owning my RV trailer that I began to realize tires have age limits. RV trailer tires have even short life than auto tires, about 3~8 years. So I don't plan on having my trailer tires for more than 3 years especially when I just park my RV in my backyard under the sun and weather all the time... Moral of the story is that rubber compound can age over time under the weather. Just be careful and pay attention to them.

· Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
1,028 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few whose car came through with Hankook tires and I really wish it had not. Threw them away at about 15K with plenty of tread left. They had zero traction in the rain and obviously no snow in the desert, stopping distances were obscene and handling felt like a 1964 Chevy Impala. As soon as I changed tires, it was a whole new vehicle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.