Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Long time lurker but I am now in need of assistance. I purchased the factory remote keyless entry/starter (UP050-AY130) for my wife's 2006 Sportage LX and installed it yesterday. The install instructions were a little lacking, wiring diagram and pictures almost useless. Still I got everything working except the remote start because I could not identify where to connect the leads from the hood switch. Anyone have an better info or maybe a better picture/wiring diagram?

TIA,
jarrall

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
Hi All,
Long time lurker but I am now in need of assistance. I purchased the factory remote keyless entry/starter (UP050-AY130) for my wife's 2006 Sportage LX and installed it yesterday. The install instructions were a little lacking, wiring diagram and pictures almost useless. Still I got everything working except the remote start because I could not identify where to connect the leads from the hood switch. Anyone have an better info or maybe a better picture/wiring diagram?

TIA,
jarrall
For the LX, you got the 2nd kit for the remote start hood switch P/N UM040 AY135. The wires connect to the black/white and black wires on the module harness. No better pictures to be found. I'm looking on Kia tech site and I'm sure the pictures on there are the same as what you got in the instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yup, those are the instructions and they are too vague to be useful. Has anyone else actually installed the hood switch? It's clear that the hood switch is dead simple, sounds like a ball inside that rolls into one position while the hood is down making a circuit (like old mercury switches) and opens the circuit when the hood is up. So I think I can bypass the switch altogether by just jumpering the black/white wire and the black wire on the module harness. I will check the resistance of the hood switch as I imagine a current-limiting resistor is probably a good idea. Still it's not clear which module harness the instructions are referring to and without a better wiring diagram, I'm reluctant to start jumping wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts