Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Kia Sorento SX with factory remote start. Maybe I don't know how to operate, but it usually takes 5 seconds to start and every once in awhile it takes 20 seconds. Am I do something wrong? Anyone else have remote start that might be able to explain operation? In addition, the engine will shutoff if I open the rear door?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
I don't think remote start is a factory/Kia option for the SX.

Is your remote keyfob a Kia brand? If not what brand is on the remote?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The remote start is KIA, unsure if installed at the factory, but according to the service department it is Kia remote start. The remote start key fob is seperate from original fob. in addition, they are trying to tell me it's normal to take from 5-20 seconds to start. They say, the sequence is different every time and the reason for delayed start????

·
Vendor
Kia Soul, Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Kia Forte, or any Kia!
75 Posts
Kia Sorento Remote Starter

Hi Raskm,

The Genuine OEM Kia Sorento Remote Starter sounds like it is running normally to me (for the most part). Typically, what happens when you first engage the transmitter it just makes your "vehicle come alive" and sense its internal safety features. It's standard with remote starters that you must click the button first then hit start, thus leading to the car seeing if all of the doors are locked. Otherwise, the car just won't start. It just takes a few seconds for it to see if the coast is clear for starting.

That's probably the reason for the delayed start. But... 20 seconds sounds a wee bit extreme. But maybe the above steps just weren't followed properly on your other starts. Hopefully that info will help you out a bit more. I'm sure distance will be a reason, too. But you probably aren't starting from the 500 ft max distance.

Anyways, if you are ever in the market for some more OEM or soon to be, aftermarket Kia Sorento accessories, let us know. We are even getting authentic K Logo badging! We'll be sure to be the cheapest! Give us maybe another week and a half or two for us to get these in. We'll have them available in black and red. They are sick (in a good way) looking!

But any who, we can help you out with the following:
1. Free shipping on order $150 or more within the Continental U.S.A.
2. Use the following Coupon Code for 10% off your purchase: codekf

Hope we can help! If you ever need it, use our websites "Contact Us" form!
- Team KiaStuff -

The remote start is KIA, unsure if installed at the factory, but according to the service department it is Kia remote start. The remote start key fob is seperate from original fob. in addition, they are trying to tell me it's normal to take from 5-20 seconds to start. They say, the sequence is different every time and the reason for delayed start????

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
I thought the Kia remote start was only for the keyed ignition and not the smart key. How much extra was the option?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
I thought the Kia remote start was only for the keyed ignition and not the smart key. How much extra was the option?
you're right, unless they just came out w/factory as of this fall...DIRECTED/AUTOSTART is the most popular used with PUSH START and it does take it a few cycles for it to sync with OEM theft/imobilizer system, mine took 10 +/- starts and now works fine, it's a pain in the !$%# having to use 2 remotes...beats having to FREEZE your !$%# to warm it up!

click on link to see the one I have.

Autostart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked on the factory window sticker and it is kia remote start-- for push button start $425.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked on the factory window sticker and it is kia remote start-- for push button start ignitions $425.00.

·
Vendor
Kia Soul, Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Kia Forte, or any Kia!
75 Posts
Push Start Kia Sorento Remote Starter

Hi VIM,

Originally, it was just the key-start ignition. But until fairly recently, Kia had the Genuine OEM Kia Sorento Remote Starter engineered for the Push-Start ignitions. Probably seeing how all the other customers were mega pissed that they couldn't get an OEM remote starter kit while people with key-start could!

But the price difference is $46 more for the part that will fit the Push-Start version. Different part # for it, but it'd just be a click on the drop-down box.

$292.05 for the Key-Start (after using the 10% off coupon code)
$333.45 for the Push-Star (after using the 10% off coupon code)

Both get free shipping in the Continental U.S.A. and the coupon code is: codekf

- Team KiaStuff -

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
Hi guys,
Im new to this forum but let me put my input and then I have a question/ problem...
My 2012 Kia Sorento is a V6, 3rd row seats, luggage bars and remote starter from factory. Bought it brand new And it supposedly a LX. My remote starter instructions from the Kia Rep Sales was 1-LOCK the doors until you here the honk. 2-Press 3x the remote starter button in blue. As soon as I do that the side lights turns on and then the car. Always takes about 3 seconds from pressing the blue button to start mode.

Now 50% of the time when the car has warmed up I guess, the alarm start honking around and I need to run looking for the key to UNLOCKED the doors so the alarm shuts up, then LOCK it. If you press the LOCK button it does nothing. All this happens around 5-5:30am. Waking up my neighbors.... The alarm sound is not the weird typical alarm sound when you open the door with the alarm on, is more of a constant HONK-HONK-HONK-HONK. Not the HONKHONKHOONNKK-HONKHONKHOOONNKK sound. ANY IDEAS WHY? Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD prem pkg
12 Posts
Is this owner installable with basic electrical knowledge or should it be installed by a dealer. Certainly don't want to create any warrantee issues.
Frosty in NH.
Queensbury, nice area near LG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the factory OEM kit on a 2012 w/ key ignition. It took about an afternoon. The instructions clearly describe every step for accessing the wiring, reassembling the dash and testing/troubleshooting the installation. They are excellent and very clear.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/74833-lx-factory-remote-start-price-installed.html

You'll need to be comfortable with removing parts of the dash panel, the plastic around the steering column and the A-pillar cover. After that it is unplugging a few connectors from the body control module behind the dash and attaching a few wire splices included in the kit.

I don't see why installing a factory kit should cause an issue with the dealer unless they can demonstrate that something with the installation was wrong. This may depend on the attitude of your local dealer.

Is this owner installable with basic electrical knowledge or should it be installed by a dealer. Certainly don't want to create any warrantee issues.
Frosty in NH.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
You may still want to get another remote start and not the OEM one. My viper has a ton of changeable options...some only installer modifiable but the majority are user modifiable. Depends on model too. The range is important too.

Just trying to provide more info.

You may want to take the prices to an alarm installer and see if they can match or best the price.

I'd say for the OEM, it's mostly harnesses and should be user installable. If there is flashing or soldering, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you're not experienced.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Frosty in NH.
The only thing that could possibly cause any warranty issues is if you damaged something(wiring, modules), or wired the unit incorrectly, and caused other components to fail. The instructions are fairly detailed, and there are only 5 wires that need to be spliced, everything else is basically plug and play. Just double check which wires you are splicing to and it should go ok. If you haven't installed one before, it will probably take you about 3-4 hrs.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD prem pkg
12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. re warrantee

The reason I asked about the warrantee issues was past experience with a Dodge RAM. I had a remote starter installed at an alarm shop. The best thing since sliced bread in 0 degree weather IMO. Sometime later the fog lights stopped working. It was under warrantee so they should have been covered. Nope, charged me 80$ for a diagnostic fee and said it was the remote starter. While I was waiting at the dealer I overheard a phone conversation with another customer blaming his problem on a remote starter. That's why I asked the question.
My problem turned out to be the light switch.

PS: While the Sorrento heated seats and heated steering wheel have been great in the -20 windchill lately a remote starter is on the must have list.
NH has a law that says above 0 degrees to 20 you can idle for a max of 20 minutes without breaking the law. MA and CT have similiar laws I know of. So it must be programable to only run 20 minutes or 15 if it's above 20.
What a joke.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
815 Posts
If it ended up being the light switch you shouldn't pay for the diagnosis. They would have done the diagnosis anyway and it should have been covered by the time allowed by the warranty work to fix the light switch. They wouldn't replace the light switch without being sure that was the issue.

Did they provide the written report/diagnosis before you have the go ahead to fix it? If so, you could always go godmother dealer or the alarm shop to have it repaired.

If this happens to me, I'll ask before the diagnosis whether they'll waive the cost if it's not the starter. Didn't think about it until now.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, for aftermarket remote starters, you can set how long they stay on. My starter defaults to 12 minute start cycle. Perhaps you can do this with the OEM starter too.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
As I posted before in 2011, I installed the OEM Factory Remote Start for the 2006.5-07-08 Kia Optima. Part number is U8560-2G000, dealer list price was $325, but purchased discounted for $209.63 from Pat at KIA of Santa Rosa parts (kiapartsshop.com) plus shipping. I chose this OEM system and recommend it because it uses the factory plug-and-play harnesses to install and connect, with just a few extra wire taps needed for additional hookups. If you intend to do it yourself, the most difficult part will be to locate the required wiring harnesses under the dash while following the included instruction manual, which uses line drawings, not photos, so you need to read them carefully first and then search for each specific color-coded connector wire.

The new KIA remote start fob replaces my factory key fob, and my system now requires pushing the top lock button once, followed by the blue key ignition button to start. Pushing the blue key button twice starts the defrosters, and pushing the unlock button opens the door, twice opens all doors and 3 times opens the trunk. I then just slide the key into the ignition on mine and leave it in the on position to run and drive.Touching the brake pedal shuts off the engine, without the key being inserted. Otherwise the system shuts down after 15 minutes running time.

Removal of some interior panel trim is required, so have a set of plastic trim removal tools handy. (Be sure to first check out KGIS online for wiring diagrams and connector location pictures, as well as all the required trim removal steps, which you can print out ahead of time.) You will also need a good set of wire crimpers, needle-nose pliers, small ratchet wrenches and some bright work lights as well, which will need to be positioned to help you see while crouching and working under the dark, cramped confines under the dash and steering wheel. Those familiar with soldering under those conditions can finish the wiring connections that way.

This is a simple remote start system which works fine for me, using 2 new transmitters, and with all that preparation and help, I was actually able to confidently install it myself. I made it part of a set of new leather seat covers and heated seat warmer install. It is so comfortable to have your car pre-warmed or pre-cooled and ready for you before you walk up to it, regardless of the weather. There are so many versions of aftermarket remote starters, including those which just use your own factory remotes and security system, all the way to those which use those slick LCD screen remotes, like the Viper 5902, which runs for over $300 (made by industry giant DEI.) These can even start your car from your cell phone as well as roll down your windows or open your sun roof if you want, and can include wailing sirens and shock sensors, but obviously will involve more installation steps, programming options, modules, apps and labor costs. My 2007 model does not have the imbedded transponder in the key, so it also avoids those extra module parts and labor costs.

So be sure to shop around and decide exactly what you want, need and can afford, pricing the total cost of all parts and installation in your area, if you will not be installing the remote start yourself. Let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Sorento and the remote starter is not working. I click on the lock button twice (to lock doors until the horn beeps), then press the blue button once. Normally, it would start immediately. Now all I get are two short horn beeps and nothing. I am just over 60,000 miles and dealership wants to charge me to even bring it in to look at it! I am very upset...this is not the only problem I am having.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX FWD v6
57 Posts
My 2013 Sorento ex, v6, fwd has all the packages, but not remote start. Kia should include it in their packages. They can eliminate something else. I'm reluctant to have an aftermarket remote put in as I never trust these places of doing a good job and fear they will screw something else up. Bottom line, I will have a cold butt this season. I'm telling you all this so If Kia reads these forums, I believe they do, they will make this change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts