Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL AWD V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was heading home from work. When I got in the car everything was normal and the stereo was working normally. However, I stopped for gas and when I restarted the car there was nothing coming out of the stereo speakers. Complete silence. Everything appeared to be working but just no sound, static ..nothing. I switched from FM to satellite to Spotify and nothing produced any sound out of the speakers for the whole drive home. Everything on the display said it was working but not a sound.

When I got home I shut the car down and opened the interior fuse box thinking I might have a blown fuse. I saw the main 'On/Off' switch in the middle of the fuse panel (first I'd seen that) so I switched it off. I realized I didn't have the fuse puller tool to check anything so I simply switched the switch back On and restarted the car -POOF- everything is working and back to normal. Not sure if it was something that I did or just turning the car on/off but in any case PFM repair.

Anyone have any idea how/why/what might have happened. I've had some flakeyness with my stereo in the past but I suspected I have a weak antenna unit but not confirmed that. Typically that was just appearing to be a weak signal and scratchy cutting in/out with static where this was simply no sound whatsoever from any source.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
307 Posts
That fuse switch is used for shipping and transport. It kills interior lighting, door left open stuff, plus the UVO and AV systems, your SXL is probably UVO w/amp. The switch saves the battery from stuff that happens during transport. Car still starts and runs OK so transporters/dock workers can move it around. My best guess is you reset (powered off/on) the UVO/Amp when you flicked the fuse switch. Why it shut down in the first place is another thing ?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
62 Posts
Bad connection in wiring harness. There is a TSB (PS401) . See my experience with this starting in post #12 here:

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL AWD V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with a TSB does that mean a dealership will cover the repair? I'm the second owner and my left-over warranty runs out in Aug. However, I don't think the warranty covers the radio anyway...not sure if a TSB changes any of that.

It also makes me wonder if that might be related to my other radio issue. I have pretty weak reception on the FM band and nearly zero reception on AM. Originally thinking it would be a bad antenna unit but now this make me think it could be a related loose connection.

Bad connection in wiring harness. There is a TSB (PS401) . See my experience with this starting in post #12 here:

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
62 Posts
It was covered under warranty for us under the 5yr, 60k-mile warranty. You do not have to be the original owner. We aren't and have had 3-4 warranty repairs so far.

TSBs are not like recalls, if you are out of warranty you will have to pay for it.

It would be an easy do it yourself; the only issue being the expensive electrical goop that is required that you will likely never use again.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
107 Posts
I had issues with the stereo in my 2015 Optima, but could never duplicate it for the dealer. Sometimes when I started the car, it would take 5-10 minutes before the stereo would boot up and come on. Restarting the vehicle didn't help. Then my rear camera failed and the dealer replaced the $1400 head unit first only to find out that it was the $26 camera. After having the car for way too long, I got it back with a new head unit and camera, all under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts