Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Someone noticed this in Sorento:
when AC is on, in irregular time frames there is well noticeable sound, like high frequency electric noise. Sounds like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, lasts 1-4 sec, then its normal. And after a while again.... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii............ If I put AC off, the noise is immediatelly cut.

Do I have something in my head and have to call to doctor? :banana:

I think the noise is coming when AC is doing some adjustment, measurement or other test, but I´d like to know if anybody other have heard this?

So far my Sorento is doing outstanding well, this is the first oddness I found.

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
If your Sorento is an EX with the luxury pkg. you should have the auto climate control. I believe this noise is the cycling or valving of the air conditioning to auto correct the temperature set in the climate control. Mine seems to sound more loke a hissing sound, which comes and goes as the unit tries to maintain the correct temp. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it. Mine really isn't that intrusive, but it is noticable. But, that's all the more reason to crank up that 6 disk CD changer...lol..!!!

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
This sounds more like the cooling fan tripping on IMO. This is completely normal as the cooling fan cools the condenser which is a radiator like device that sits in front of your normal water radiator.

I think the fan on my Sedona is quite noisey compared to previous cars with AC.

Try standing outside the car with the bonnet(hood) open and get someone to turn the AC on whilst you watch the fan.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
I picked this up in mine while on a trip, every 30 seconds or so it sssssssssss's, sounds as if its changing modes but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. Mentioned it to the dealer who hadn't come across it before but checked all the sorentos in the yard and they all did it. So, is it a common fault? or just something that all aircons do ? It's one of those things that you don't hear until one day "WHATS THAT" and you hear it forever cos your tuned to it.

Cheers

Derek :blush:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more clarification:
My Sore was 6600 first kilometers without this iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii -sound. I am very sure of this because I was on my holiday trip towing caravan and this odd noise came suddenly when driving (it was very hot day, about 1.30 pm and temperature had been +28-30 Celsius degrees all the day, so AC had some work to do).

The sound is so clear that it can´t be missed. First I thought there was something coming from the radio but after several times swithced it off and found the AC is the beginning.
And yes, my AC is the automatic one. And furthermore I can hear also the hissing sssssssss-sound you guys described. That sound is not irritating at all compared with the other one.

I think the frequence of the sound is on the area which is quite annoying, not only my ears but also others sitting in my Sore are asking about that.

Many thanks to all you who replied, I think I will try to clear up what could cause that in garage and let you know what we`ll find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to my whimpering Sore:
A/C was causing this sound as I expected:
Fault was the pressure of the system.
There have been bunch of Sores coming out of the assembly line with wrong pressures in a/c system.
If I understood ok, there is depressio in part of the system and this depressio was too low. Problem was not the amount of cooling liquid, just pressure.
After adjusting it the sound was away. :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts