Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this.
I have tried 2 scanning tools (Autel MS309 and ELM327) to connect to the ODB-II connector in the cab of my Kia sedona. Everything tried so far results in a connection being made, but no data or information when interrogating.

My car has been in "limp mode" for some time now. Earlier very unhelpful visits to Kia for "Diagnostics" (£50 a time) have established 2 possible issues (faults)
1) Accelerator pedal sensor high
2) An intermittent Diesel #4 port

I have replaced the accelerator pedal/ sensor assembly, but need the codes cleared to establish if this will fix the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations on software or scan equipment which will actually show the faults and clear them?

Another scenario I wondered was if the new pedal needs re-mapping?

I notice that there are 2 styles of connector on the car. One is the standard ODB-II style and another looks like a Kia (n-shape). Am I working with the wrong connector? I don't have the benefit of seeing how Kia connected this up to clear the codes initially.

Vince

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
disconnect battery for five minutes to reset control box

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
I notice that there are 2 styles of connector on the car. One is the standard ODB-II style and another looks like a Kia (n-shape). Am I working with the wrong connector? I don't have the benefit of seeing how Kia connected this up to clear the codes initially.
From the schematics I have, the OBD-II K-line (which is what the scanner and ECU communicate over) is brought out to both connectors, so you should be able to use either (assuming your connector wiring is correct).

The K-Line is brought out on pin 7 on the 16 pin OBD-II connector (iaw J1962), and on pin 9 (or 'k') on the Kia 20 pin connector.

Signal ground is on pin 5 of the OBD-II connector, and pin 4 (or 'r') & 12 ('s') on the Kia connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the comments so far.

I've tried removing the -ve from the battery (leaving the lights on the discharge). This appears to have no impact on the codes and the clearing of them. Kia did clarify this would not help on my last visit.

Many thanks for the connection clarification. At least I don't have to worry about this now.

My model is diesel (forgot to mention earlier)

Does anybody have any good experiences / results using a dedicated scanning tool or software / Hardware interface? I can't help but think the only thing missing here is the correct communications protocol or software.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sedona LS 2.9TCI Diesel
1 Posts
From the schematics I have, the OBD-II K-line (which is what the scanner and ECU communicate over) is brought out to both connectors, so you should be able to use either (assuming your connector wiring is correct).

The K-Line is brought out on pin 7 on the 16 pin OBD-II connector (iaw J1962), and on pin 9 (or 'k') on the Kia 20 pin connector.

Signal ground is on pin 5 of the OBD-II connector, and pin 4 (or 'r') & 12 ('s') on the Kia connector.
HI peter, regarding your reply to apcvinny, my problem is that my 2002 Kia Sedona LS 2,9 Diesel Engine with an automatic transmission started to flash the HOLD sign on my dash. I was accelerating from home then afterwards the vehicle slows down even if i'm stepping on the gas pedal. I was wondering if this can be removed or fixed by resetting the transmission control box, or other wise have it scan, but I only have the 20 pin cable under the hood and nothing else is under the dash to look for the 16 pin.

Can I use the 20 pin instead and use an adaptor and scan by an OBD2 scanner?

·
Registered
2 kia sedonas 2.9 1 partner van
29 Posts
Hi all i have been trying to find a hand held scanner for my UK 2002 MK2 Crdi Sedona for ever. i did ring Kia technical support once who after a few days got back to me (wow yes they did) with the news that these are EODB complient. if you do find one that works please let us all no as i have never found a deffinative answer as to anybody finding one cheers Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts