Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obd cable

Hello,

I have a check engine light and need a cable obd-usb cable, but dont know which one to buy. I need help with choosing one on ebay. There is no point in goint to place where thay check what is wrong because price is the same as buying cable. Thanks in advance. :)

2000 Kia sportage 2.0l 128hp manual

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I saw even blutooth version, dont need one. It says that it is compatible with all OBD2 protocols, does it really work it all cars, well at least most? I have second car, 2002 ford mondeo, it would be nice if I could use for that one too.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
OBDII is a "STANDARD" and will work with ALL cars that embrace that standard.
Virtually all cars made after 2001 (at least in the USA) can be communicated with..
Some "codes" are for specific cars...but the majority are generic.
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
With the choices available these days, what your expectations are, may rule which OBDII system you end up with...

Do you want portability, in depth diagnostics, computer based (laptop), smart phone or hand held dedicated live Data Scanner.?

OBDII modules come in wired (USB or Ethernet), wireless (bluetooth or WiFi),

Software: Windows, apple, Android and even DOS based..... Philip

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I need universal obd-usb cable to connect to my windows laptop. Prices are pretty much equal for bluetooth or usb obd cables, not sure which one buy. Im not planning to use with my android phone.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Well I need universal obd-usb cable to connect to my windows laptop. Prices are pretty much equal for bluetooth or usb obd cables, not sure which one buy. Im not planning to use with my android phone.
Provided your laptop has bluetooth, the only advantage of a wireless cable would be that you wouldn't have a cable running to your laptop. Usefull if you wanted to monitor live data from outside the car or while driving.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was the original market for your sporty?? .... Philip
I bought it from germany, so I think germany.

Well I need to find other program. No use of buying cable and not having a program. :D Tried to search in program something with obd1, so I dont think that program works with obd1 too.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as reader supports all languages (PWM, VPW, ISO, KWP, CAN) I dont think there should be any problems with cars that have obd2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
According to this Top Tips: OBD-II, EOBD, EOBD2 - what's the difference? :: Gendan Automotive Products

From the topic: "Although EOBD is a standard, it is not a single 'language', but a combination of 5 main languages. Different car manufacturers use different languages when their cars speak to diagnostic tools."

Language are listed in the same topic.

On those devices on ebay: Supports all OBD protocols : ISO15765-4 (CAN), ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO9141-2, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM.

My mondeo has odb connector, uses pwm bus. Scanner support pwm. Why it should not work? With kia its other problem.

So tell me, Philip, how it really is.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Although they may uses a common communication protocol, correct data translation depends on OBD PIDs (On-board diagnostics Parameter IDs) which are codes used to request data from a vehicle.

The OBDII standard was first utilized in
  • the USA 1996,
  • Canada in 1996(partial), but not in compliance till 1998,
  • Europe after January 1, 2001,
  • Australia and New Zealand after January 1, 2006....

Prior to the compliance, auto makers used propitiatory PID codes...
That meant the one auto maker may have used 0x0A. for a data set, whilst another used the same code to access a completely different set....
This anomaly is still prevalent in that some MFG, use extended PID's (not in the OBDII generic code list) to access propitiatory data...

If you wish to test this information, be my guest, report back your findings.... Philip

1 - 20 of 23 Posts