Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
93? I'm basing it on the general octane rating of unleaded fuel (Shell) in the Philippines. Dunno about premium unleaded which has octane rating of 95 (Petron XCS) haven't tried it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was trying to look thru the manual and i still cant find anything about its recommended octane rating. well if its 93, i guess a regular unleaded fuel is enough. maybe others from this forum can help.

thanks jgotangco!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i use normal regular unleaded in mine, which here in the UK is around the 95 octane mark (mostly Shell low-sulphur unleaded). Our super-unleaded fuel is, i think, around 97 octane, but is mostly designed for high-performance engines, it probably won't increase the picanto engine performance enough to be noticable, but will cost you lots more :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
robparker,

have you tried using a 93 octane fuel? is there any noticeable performance gain? here in the philippines a regular unleaded has 93 rating, while premium unleaded has a 95- 99+ rating depending on the brand.

im not planning to try the 99+, im sure it wont improve picanto's performance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I really don't see the the difference using unleaded fuel of octane ratings higher than 95 considering the Picanto only has a 1.1 engine. On long drives maybe, but if you consider how horrible city traffic in the Philippines is, I don't think there would be any noticeable performance difference...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by aloy_g@Dec 12 2004, 11:18 PM
robparker,

have you tried using a 93 octane fuel? is there any noticeable performance gain? here in the philippines a regular unleaded has 93 rating, while premium unleaded has a 95- 99+ rating depending on the brand.

im not planning to try the 99+, im sure it wont improve picanto's performance.
hi aloy_g, i don't think i can buy fuel with an octane rating of less than 95 here in the UK. Our premium fuel is rated at 97+ octanes, but I don't think it will give any extra performance gain in the picanto engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your concern dandan, but i know that already. that is why i was asking for the RECOMMENDED octane rating for the picanto. and i also said that im not planning to buy a high octane fuel because im sure that it wont improve the car's performance. but using a recommended rating versus a lower or higher rating would definitely make the engine run better. I had been researching for octane rating before because im into tuning small displacement bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
High octane's difference in performance is notable on highly tuned engine. High octane fuel doesn't ignite that easy on high pressure thus reducing premature burns which is wasted fuel. I think our (PH) regular unleaded is suitable for the picanto, also considering the price of fuel nowadays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts