Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was trying to look thru the manual and i still cant find anything about its recommended octane rating. well if its 93, i guess a regular unleaded fuel is enough. maybe others from this forum can help.

thanks jgotangco!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i use normal regular unleaded in mine, which here in the UK is around the 95 octane mark (mostly Shell low-sulphur unleaded). Our super-unleaded fuel is, i think, around 97 octane, but is mostly designed for high-performance engines, it probably won't increase the picanto engine performance enough to be noticable, but will cost you lots more :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robparker,

have you tried using a 93 octane fuel? is there any noticeable performance gain? here in the philippines a regular unleaded has 93 rating, while premium unleaded has a 95- 99+ rating depending on the brand.

im not planning to try the 99+, im sure it wont improve picanto's performance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I really don't see the the difference using unleaded fuel of octane ratings higher than 95 considering the Picanto only has a 1.1 engine. On long drives maybe, but if you consider how horrible city traffic in the Philippines is, I don't think there would be any noticeable performance difference...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by aloy_g@Dec 12 2004, 11:18 PM
robparker,

have you tried using a 93 octane fuel? is there any noticeable performance gain? here in the philippines a regular unleaded has 93 rating, while premium unleaded has a 95- 99+ rating depending on the brand.

im not planning to try the 99+, im sure it wont improve picanto's performance.
hi aloy_g, i don't think i can buy fuel with an octane rating of less than 95 here in the UK. Our premium fuel is rated at 97+ octanes, but I don't think it will give any extra performance gain in the picanto engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your concern dandan, but i know that already. that is why i was asking for the RECOMMENDED octane rating for the picanto. and i also said that im not planning to buy a high octane fuel because im sure that it wont improve the car's performance. but using a recommended rating versus a lower or higher rating would definitely make the engine run better. I had been researching for octane rating before because im into tuning small displacement bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
High octane's difference in performance is notable on highly tuned engine. High octane fuel doesn't ignite that easy on high pressure thus reducing premature burns which is wasted fuel. I think our (PH) regular unleaded is suitable for the picanto, also considering the price of fuel nowadays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.