Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Sportage LX 2.7L V6, AWD, 56K miles

Occasional my Sportage will not start. Turn the key and I hear one click from the solenoid but the started won't engage. It's still under warranty and I’ve had KIA tow it to a dealership twice but, of course, it starts for them. I think it is the starter but the dealer said they never see starter issues in the Sportages. And if don’t see any issue then they can’t fix the issue. His anyone else experienced any similar. Any suggestions. Thanks Phil

·
Registered
97 Jeep 96 Dodge Ram
8 Posts
Intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot. Since the vehicle is so new you should not be having a starter problem. But things do happen. Hopefully the dealer checked you battery, cables and cable connections. Battery has to be fully charged, cables good and cable connections clean and tight at the battery, ground and starter.

A bad battery, cable or cable connection may not allow good amperage for starting. Just enough for the solenoid to click. It could also be the solenoid contacts that are worn and making an intermittent contact. The contacts can be replaced. Last is the starter is going bad. When it fails to start you can hit it with a deadblow hammer and sometimes this gets the starter to engage. What happens is the hammer blows knocks any rust buildup or causes an internal electrical connection to make contact. Just hit it for some vibration and not to destroy.

You may want to have an auto electrical shop take a look at it and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I've changed quite a few starters on Sportages. It is most likely going to be the starter, but they are not supposed to perform repairs without duplicating the concern, on the off chance it could be something else.

·
Registered
2007 Sportage LX 4WD
9 Posts
This happened to me once. I called roadside assistance and it wouldn't start for them either. Battery was fine.

He got me to set the park brake, put my foot I the brake and shift into neutral, then back into park. It made a strange whirring noise when i shifted. Then when I tried to start it, it worked.

This only happened once to my 2007 sportage so I never looked further into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts