Kia Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Phev
12 Posts
It gets better. Though the part is on order, it is on a ship right now so work will not start until the end of the month.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Phev
12 Posts
Latest update: when they went to replace the trans both the clutch was burnt and the electric motor. Both are being replaced. 5 weeks now. At least another week.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
624 Posts
Interesting! Sounds like you have a dual clutch automated manual transmission. Perhaps the front seal leaked creating all this grief.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Phev
12 Posts
Interesting! Sounds like you have a dual clutch automated manual transmission. Perhaps the front seal leaked creating all this grief.
I think you are probably right. There was a recall on previous models for something similar. The car is back with me and i have been driving it for over a week now. It’s different. I think the ECU was updated to not have so much torque off the line and it seems like the AC/heat triggers the engine more often now.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
624 Posts
My take on DCT technology in the N.A. continent is people generally don't like them and don't understand them due to poorly educated sales people not explaining how they work. Plus, N.A. calibration engineers are instructed to program the slip in the clutch to feel like a traditional torque converter. This creates a lot of excess heat which melts/damages the oil seal between the two input shafts. Once that happens a leak occurs and its only a matter of time until the clutch is slipping like mad, throwing codes all over the place. One only needs to study what occurred between Ford and Getrag to understand the debacle......

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,597 Posts
Wen looking for compact used car for my wife we drove a DCT Ford Fiesta and I didn't like the way it shifted and then did a little research and that put me right off DCT's, so no DCT or CVT for me.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Phev
12 Posts
My take on DCT technology in the N.A. continent is people generally don't like them and don't understand them due to poorly educated sales people not explaining how they work. Plus, N.A. calibration engineers are instructed to program the slip in the clutch to feel like a traditional torque converter. This creates a lot of excess heat which melts/damages the oil seal between the two input shafts. Once that happens a leak occurs and its only a matter of time until the clutch is slipping like mad, throwing codes all over the place. One only needs to study what occurred between Ford and Getrag to understand the debacle......
I think based on your past commiserating you are not trying to imply I didn’t understand the mechanics behind the car. I chose this car specifically because my last 2 vehicles were DCTs that I had tricked out. Though I did not plan to mod this car, i know exactly what to expect in a DCT. This car was mangled. Something was wrong with it and it cropped up only a couple hundred miles into running the car. That said the other cars did not have ‘programmed slip’. That is troubling and frankly weird. Why would you ever want that?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Why indeed!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid Electric
1 Posts
Less than 300 miles on new Niro PHEV and we started getting an occasional VERY loud bang that sounds like the transmission slamming into gear (sometimes loud enough that scares the s#*t out of me). It usually happens starting from a full stop but I think it has also happened at coasting speeds, though not always under acceleration. Sometimes happened in the first few miles of driving for the day, sometimes after 10 or 20 miles. The first time it almost sounded like a stuck brake pad, and sometimes more loud than other times, but now really sounds like transmission problem. In our first week of ownership, it has happened maybe 10 times, but I cannot reliably replicate it to present to the service department. They claim they dont know what it could be... anyone else have something similar?
Yep, we have the same problem with our 2019 Niro. Took into the dealer when we had just 600 miles on the car, they could not replicate the problem either. Not sure if it's a transmission problem or sticking caliper--maybe the mechanism used for recharging the battery in electric mode? The VERY loud noise sounds like we're getting rear ended, and it is so bad that my wife is terrified when driving. Sometimes the noise is louder than others but always happens after a stop. This is a serious problem that Kia or a federal regulatory agency needs to figure out. Terrible to spend this kind of money on a car that is now so miserable to drive. I am a very angry Kia owner.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,597 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Phev
12 Posts
Yep, we have the same problem with our 2019 Niro. Took into the dealer when we had just 600 miles on the car, they could not replicate the problem either. Not sure if it's a transmission problem or sticking caliper--maybe the mechanism used for recharging the battery in electric mode? The VERY loud noise sounds like we're getting rear ended, and it is so bad that my wife is terrified when driving. Sometimes the noise is louder than others but always happens after a stop. This is a serious problem that Kia or a federal regulatory agency needs to figure out. Terrible to spend this kind of money on a car that is now so miserable to drive. I am a very angry Kia owner.
it feels like a brake problem but it’s not. But I totally agree with you. Now that mine is fixed, It has not occurred again. I hope it doesn’t come back.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts