Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line (reserved)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took delivery of our x-line about 4 weeks ago and just returned off a 3500 mile road trip. TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM and finally back to TX. FWIW, here are some observations from the drivers seat.

1. Extremely comfortable vehicle and I had up to 10 hours in the driver seat with only short breaks for fuel and food. The Highway Driving Assist made a huge difference in reduced fatigue as all I needed was a light touch on the wheel. The assist did the rest and I only needed to watch out for tire debris, obstacles, idiot drivers, etc...
2. Adaptive cruise was nice with a couple of exceptions. I felt like in traffic it was probably annoying for the cars behind with the amount of braking that it would do. Especially when it would go hard on the brakes rather than just easing off the throttle to open the gap back up. Seems like maybe they could refine the programming to first reduce throttle. There were a couple of times that I had changed lanes to go around a slower vehicle. Even though I did this in plenty of time, it would hit the brakes like it still thought there was a vehicle in the open lane.
3. One time I was making a left hand turn, hit a bump and noticed the traction light came on. This seems to mimic the experience that others have seen in the thread about losing power. I can't say for certain if it stopped accelerating as i eased off when I hit the bump for a second.
4. Engine power was great all through the mountains and we got just above 10k feet. Never noticed any struggle for power. Also, we averaged around 28 mpg and this was a manual calculation. Typically the dash estimate was half to 1 gallon less than actual.

Overall very satisfied with the vehicle and fun to drive. Any questions that I can answer, let me know.

Ron

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
85 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. That's good to hear; I'll be going on a similarly long road trip later this week, and I'm really looking forward to it. This should be a significantly more comfortable car to do it in vs. any of the cars I've owned previously.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
93 Posts
Excellent feedback. I’ll be putting 1500 or so on my hybrid next month between two separate trips from Boston, one up to Maine and one down to Philly/New Jersey. Being a hybrid only your first 2 items apply, but it’s great to hear.

as for the most comfortable road trip car, I took a 97 Cadillac Boston to Florida twice and it was heavenly. Done the trip in a Honda Odyssey and Dodge Journey as well, and they were both fine but the Cadillac blew them away.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
117 Posts
Good feedback. I wonder if you tried different settings for adaptive cruise. I find that setting the distance closer/farther based on different traffic situations very helpful. For examples: If I'm on a single lane highway it works on all settings but I often like the setting that has me follow closely so I can more easily decide when to pass. In heavy multi lane traffic that keeps changing speed or has lots of people changing lanes, I often like the closest distance as well because it's more tolerant of cars jumping in front. For relaxed driving without too many lane changers or when I don't care to pass, then the farther distanced setting works great.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
93 Posts
Good feedback. I wonder if you tried different settings for adaptive cruise. I find that setting the distance closer/farther based on different traffic situations very helpful. For examples: If I'm on a single lane highway it works on all settings but I often like the setting that has me follow closely so I can more easily decide when to pass. In heavy multi lane traffic that keeps changing speed or has lots of people changing lanes, I often like the closest distance as well because it's more tolerant of cars jumping in front. For relaxed driving without too many lane changers or when I don't care to pass, then the farther distanced setting works great.
In my fairly limited use of it, that’s been exactly my experience as well

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX FWD
15 Posts
Took a trip from Houston to Dallas and back last week ( 600 miles and 8 hours). I used the adaptive cruise and lane assist most of the way and bet I didn't manualy drive more than 20 minutes by myself.. Just lightly touched the sterring wheel every two minutes or so. It was a very relaxing way to drive and wasn't tired when I arived at my destination. I got 30 miles to the gallon round trip.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line (reserved)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info and I spent all of the time in the 3rd distance level. I’ll play around with the closer following distance and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line AWD
10 Posts
Gotta be honest, the few times I've tried lane keep assist, I turn it right back off. Maybe I should give it another go.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD 2.5T
2 Posts
Currently doing a 4k+ road trip with my SX AWD & it’s been great! Drove all the way from IL to UT then to SoCal. Unfortunately hit a coyote in Iowa the first night, but the car took it like a champ & has been driving perfectly fine— just cosmetic damage. This has been then perfect car for mountainous conditions & long range driving! We did a very similar drive last year in a rented 2020 Santa Fe, & I am personally loving my Sorento way more.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
28 Posts
Gotta be honest, the few times I've tried lane keep assist, I turn it right back off. Maybe I should give it another go.
I am in the same boat, turn off lane keep assist and use highway assist instead. Lane keep assist is kind of annoying driving local roads especially when there are potholes or things on the road. So I just keep it turned off.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
74 Posts
I am in the same boat, turn off lane keep assist and use highway assist instead. Lane keep assist is kind of annoying driving local roads especially when there are potholes or things on the road. So I just keep it turned off.
That makes sense. I was confusing the 2

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
85 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. That's good to hear; I'll be going on a similarly long road trip later this week, and I'm really looking forward to it. This should be a significantly more comfortable car to do it in vs. any of the cars I've owned previously.
Tomorrow I'll be I'm wrapping up the ~2500 mile road trip I mentioned above. The Sorento has been amazing -- so comfortable, so quiet, so fast, so capacious. 8 hour driving days have gone by easier than 2 hour drives used to in my previous cars. Highway driving assist + lane keep assist + adaptive cruise control make interstate miles go by SO effortlessly.

I love this thing. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts