Kia Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I posted a complete write-up on scanners vs code readers about a yr ago..

Autel has a couple of commercial/professional scanners comparable to snap-on, for 1/5 of the cost..

If you are into real diagnosis, a DSO is in your future..

... Philip
Completely agree with you. Have used Autel and is the cheapest scanner that provides dealer level troubleshooting capabilities. It can be expensive for car owners though.

There are a couple of other scanners that can be found on Amazon for under $200 that are able to read and erase transmission, abs, and airbag codes on top of the ECU.

This is a great article for anyone who is looking to invest on a OBD II scanner. Best OBD2 scanners Hyundai Kia – Top Hyundai GDS Alternatives

The Autel scanner that Philip mentioned is in that list as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.
I have recently received a 2013 KIA Rio GDI, 4 door hatchback, from my departed mother. Currently I am researching software to check the vehicles assorted systems.
I have a collection of OBD and OBD 2 programs. I use them to monitor my other cars. So am relatively used to the process.
I have my eye on a few programs on flea bay like the Hyundai KIA GDS VMWare , that seem to be "dealership" type programs. Run in virtual environments on laptops. They seem to require a different interface than the standard OBD connection.
I do have multiple WIFI and Blue-tooth ELM327 interface devices. Torque and a few others as well. I am more of a laptop person. Predominately because of age and poor eye sight.
Any input of a reasonable and relatively rational nature is greatly appreciated.

I've just tacked this to the latest post in regards to this subject. Didn't think it warranted a new thread. But things have evolved in the past 2 years since this was an active thread.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello.
I have recently received a 2013 KIA Rio GDI, 4 door hatchback, from my departed mother. Currently I am researching software to check the vehicles assorted systems.
I have a collection of OBD and OBD 2 programs. I use them to monitor my other cars. So am relatively used to the process.
I have my eye on a few programs on flea bay like the Hyundai KIA GDS VMWare , that seem to be "dealership" type programs. Run in virtual environments on laptops. They seem to require a different interface than the standard OBD connection.
I do have multiple WIFI and Blue-tooth ELM327 interface devices. Torque and a few others as well. I am more of a laptop person. Predominately because of age and poor eye sight.
Any input of a reasonable and relatively rational nature is greatly appreciated.

I've just tacked this to the latest post in regards to this subject. Didn't think it warranted a new thread. But things have evolved in the past 2 years since this was an active thread.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
The VMWare stuff looks interesting to me. Have you got any idea about the interface that they are using ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which OBD2 do people suggest using?

Hello,

I spent last night digging through other/ older threads, trying to see if there was a recommended OBD2 for our Rio's.

With the hopes of not buying twice, I am here asking for suggestions and or recommendations.
Are OBD2's brand specific, being that one is more suited to our vehicle?
I guess Im looking for more then just a code reader.

Thank you

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can download Master Scanner for free to be used on a PC, and it says tablet too. Then buy the USB cable on Amazon for $25 to $35.
It has a bit more than a scanner. I have an OB11 scanner I paid more than for. D'oh

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
ZorgEntity
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing