Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The screen shots are the basic required information of an OBDII compliant vehicle.
The screens will be noted left to right from top to bottom.

the screen with the Six dials contain;
Throttle .. Vacuum
Tachometer .. Speedo
Intake Air Temp .. Coolant Temp

The second screen contains the
air (MAF)......fuel (adjusted for 14/1 ratio, LTFT)
O2 voltage

The first dials of value are the IAT and the Coolant, they must be equal (ambient) when the engine is cold..
Second value (TPS), engine off, key on, throttle depressed slowly must register on gauge with a gradual sweep with no jitter/jumps.
On cold start the ECU checks the coolant temp and if <180* will initiate rich injection and open ISC (idle control), colder the value the richer the injection(longer pulse).

As the coolant temp increases the ECU commands the ISC and Injection pulse to reduce fuel/air, lowering RPM to +/-800.
On reaching coolant temp >170* the ECU obtains CL (closed loop) and allows the O2 S1 to control the data based on the amount of unburnt oxygen in the exhaust prior to CAT.
In order to achieve the stoic 14.1/1 AFR ratio, the ECU considers the coolant temp + MAF + O2 + TPS.

The second screenshot displays the MAF value. Once running the ECU adjusts the fuel (STFT) based on the collected data, the STFT fluctuates to quickly to be useful at this point so the LTFT is required The closer to 0.0 the better, +/-10 requires attention, and above serious investigation. The system will trigger a CEL somewhere close to 15% and above..

It is important to recognize the O2 values must switch rapidly and even top to bottom. If the readings are consistently High(rich mixture) or Low(O2 sensor is biased or sees an O2 leak) and if slow has become lazy..
It is important to know that the system cannot have any illegal air leaks, either post MAF>prior combustion chamber, or post combustion chamber>pre CAT. Hence the requirement for the Vacuum gauge. The S2 has no bearing on the fuel air ratio and the sensor only monitors the values exiting the CAT

Remember switching/replacing parts and guessing just wastes time and $$$.....

The trick is to get the engine working correctly.

Hope this has given you a start......Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Code reader vs Scanner

1st frame is part of my electronics cabinet
2nd frame, good old OBDI code reader <1996.
3rd frame, USB OBDII Scanner with laptop OBDII/CAN
4th frame, Combo OBD 1&2 code reader OBDII/CAN
5th frame, MS509 OBDII Scanner with live data and graphing capabilities..OBDII/EOBD/CAN

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have several with RS232, that I used with an old XT, a Palm M105 and a Palm IIIX.

Much more cumbersome to setup and use...

My present toy is a BT dongle permanently installed in my daily driver and Torque on my Android smartphone... Immediate references, no setup, just tap the screen once.... Just love it...

Still go back to my Harrison/Palmer RS232 (once in a while), as I have extended OBDII and mode 6 capabilities..... Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Code reader purchase

Hi all, I am considering buying a trouble code reader. I am looking for any advice or recommendations on this purchase. Are these code readers universal ie will it work on any brand of car? Also , what kind of price range do they sell for? Are there any brands of code reader that I should look for , or are they all fairly good?
I enjoy doing small repair/maintenance work on my car. Is this a good purchase?
Thanks,
Darren.:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
Hi all, I am considering buying a trouble code reader. I am looking for any advice or recommendations on this purchase. Are these code readers universal ie will it work on any brand of car? Also , what kind of price range do they sell for? Are there any brands of code reader that I should look for , or are they all fairly good?
I enjoy doing small repair/maintenance work on my car. Is this a good purchase?
Thanks,
Darren.:nerd:
You're better off buying a full scanner, not just a code reader.

Do a search here and on Google and you'll find Bluetooth ones for around $10 with free software.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/83130-obd-ll-scanner-2.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Obd2

Wow , saved a lot of money ( and grief )via this forum. I went to Canadian Tire today ( a large Canadian auto parts franchise ) looking for an OBD2 diagnostic scanner. They had two models , and the cheapest was 130$ CDN. The links provided here show me where to order the Maxiscan MS509 for a lot less. Thanks for the help.
Darren.

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
My OBD scanner is old and cumbersome, and just because I like to tinker, I bought this WiFi device off eBay for $11 shipped.
ELM327 Mini WiFi OBD2 Car Code Scanner for Android iOS Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-Mini-wifi-OBD2-Car-Code-Scanner-for-Android-iOS-diagnostic-scan-tool-/252072358276?hash=item3ab0aef184&item=252072358276&vxp=mtr

It took 8 days for delivery from China to Louisville KY.

It came with a small CD loaded with bootleg copies of Torque Pro for Andriod and DashCommand for ios devices that are Jailbroken.

I tried it on the Samsung Galaxy Note, and the iPad Mini 2 and they connected at first try and worked great.
The iPad isn't Jailbroken so purchased DashCommand for $9.99

It's far easier to install "unisgned" apps on the Android.

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
So there seem to be ALOT of scanners out there, and most lists dont seem to fit all cars from KIA. Im guessing many of them are cheap knock offs, but do they work? And if so which ones would you recomend?

OBDII bluetooth scanner | eBay
The ones in the thread and in the post above yours works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Best Kia OBD2 Scanner ABS SRS Engine Transmission Code Readers

Does anyone have experience with OBD2 code readers that can troubleshoot more than jus the check engine light?

I am looking for something that is able to diagnose transmission, abs and srs on Kia / Hyundai vehicle.

What's the best OBD 2 diagnostic scanner from your experince?

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Hyundai / Kia GDS Dealer scanner?

I read about it here. Not sure if I can get a GDS for personal use but there are several scanners listed in that list that are within my budged. Any suggestions?
You can purchase the Hyundai/Kia GDS, but last I checked they were around $5k

Why don't you consider some of the $20 ones in this thread?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The $20 scanners only read the check engine light. I was looking for one that can read ABS, SRS, transmission codes.

GDS is out of my range but on the link I provided there were a couple of options that sell for around $150-$200. Something like that would be worth it, especially if the scanner works on all makes.

·
Super Moderator
9,474 Posts
The $20 scanners only read the check engine light. I was looking for one that can read ABS, SRS, transmission codes.

GDS is out of my range but on the link I provided there were a couple of options that sell for around $150-$200. Something like that would be worth it, especially if the scanner works on all makes.
No, they are not only error code readers, but also live data scanners.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted a complete write-up on scanners vs code readers about a yr ago..

Autel has a couple of commercial/professional scanners comparable to snap-on, for 1/5 of the cost..

If you are into real diagnosis, a DSO is in your future..

... Philip

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scanner Diagnostic Code Reader Tool

I want to buy a Scanner Diagnostic Code Reader Tool, so any thoughts on good and reliable product?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts