Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I work in an IT company. In our company we develop tracking and diagnostic devices for cars. I want to share our project to you and will be glad to hear your opinion. I suggest you to participate in the creation of a really good device. Our device is almost finished but we still have time to add new functions or change some of the existing ones.
The device connects to OBD2 port and main functions are next:
- reads engine error codes;
- shows the data from dashboard indicators(speed, rpm, engine temperature, engine load, airbag and belt status) in your account;
- real-time 24/7 vehicle monitoring;
- location tracking;
- notification when vehicle enters or leaves a geo-fence;
- driver's behavior analysis;
- accident notification;
- 3D reconstruction of the accident;
- mobile application; Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
I will be thankful for any ideas. Feel free to say what you think.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Hi,
I work in an IT company. In our company we develop tracking and diagnostic devices for cars. I want to share our project to you and will be glad to hear your opinion. I suggest you to participate in the creation of a really good device. Our device is almost finished but we still have time to add new functions or change some of the existing ones.
The device connects to OBD2 port and main functions are next:
- reads engine error codes;
- shows the data from dashboard indicators(speed, rpm, engine temperature, engine load, airbag and belt status) in your account;
- real-time 24/7 vehicle monitoring;
- location tracking;
- notification when vehicle enters or leaves a geo-fence;
- driver's behavior analysis;
- accident notification;
- mobile application; Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
I will be thankful for any ideas. Feel free to say what you think.
That sounds interesting.

Please note that only supporting vendors may advertise on this forum, and if you'd like to become a supporting vendor please PM me, and until then please do not post any form of advertising.

Please fill in your profile detail, location, vehicle etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
What is this one? Also, I think it is not really needed.

Depending on the design, I would rather look into two models: one fancy for regular user, and one less fancy, but with more in depth troubleshooting.

So, for fancy one sure, add accident report with reconstruction, but I'd rather see a real life data from sensors including their voltage readbacks, such as O2 sensors, TPS, camshaft, and such.

As Ron said - you can ask for advises and opinions, but you can't really advertise unless you are a vendor or at least receive a permission from Admin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is this one? Also, I think it is not really needed.

Depending on the design, I would rather look into two models: one fancy for regular user, and one less fancy, but with more in depth troubleshooting.

So, for fancy one sure, add accident report with reconstruction, but I'd rather see a real life data from sensors including their voltage readbacks, such as O2 sensors, TPS, camshaft, and such.

As Ron said - you can ask for advises and opinions, but you can't really advertise unless you are a vendor or at least receive a permission from Admin.
3D reconstruction
This feature shows exactly how the accident happened. You can see the exact motion path of the car with the help of a 3D car model at the moment of an accident. It helps you to analyze the driver's actions on the road and see what went wrong.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hello Sam Although your product scans the OBD2 system it is a Black Box set up used for learner drivers or Pricing drivers for insurance.
Any actual live readouts will only encourage Eyes off the Road and should be banned for safety reasons. With Memory now so cheap all the information from GPS tracking and OBD2 set ups should be recorded and downloaded on computer. NOT Available driving. The motor companies responsible for the safe production of the vehicle show what information they deem safe .
Then when down loaded as with track racing the information can be time linked to positions and picture formulated.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This device won't distract the driver. It analizes driving behavior. The information from the device is interfaced in a mobile app. This device is sapposed to be used by car owners. Users can use it for teen driving monitoring or for searching the car on a parking lot. This device will inform the owner in case of an accident or if the vehicle is being towed away so users can take action immediately. This device has a wireless hotspot function, so passengers can surf the web, watch video, listen to music in the car while on the go. There are many advantages of using our device.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I don't think that Sam Witwicky is actually advertizing ....He is doing research for a company and is ASKING for feedback...
There are no links or mention of the company he's doing research for...

Jeff G.
By your definition speedometers, fuel, temperature, charging, oil pressure gauges and don't forget windshield (windscreen) wipers should ALSO be banned...as they distract the driver also...

We have too many government mandated "laws" for people to stupid too pay attention... my best ones are ...."CAUTION Coffee may be HOT and may cause burns"..."Do not use toaster in bathtub or in the rain"...

A quick glance at important information can save you or your car... Just don't stare at them...If you have to stare then the driver should be banned..
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys!
Soon we launch our Kickstarter campaign. There will be available all information about our project and our team. This project will be very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
So, my thoughts...
while the idea is good, I find some cavities. I always do.

How long will it run without power? Once you turn off the car it will start draining either its batteries or the car battery (OBD is always hot, at least one lead). Lets say, I park the car on an airport parking for two weeks. How long will the system run?

Second, SIM - how do you approach connectivity? Can you choose your GSM network? And then, I understand without active SIM card, this device is useless, right?

Next, if even all the above is not a problem, the device itself is. It is large. In many cars, at least based on my cars, I can tell it will not fit in such way that remains hidden.
It would stick out at least a few cm into my left leg operating the clutch.
And finally, imagine any new car equipped with it and going to a dealer for any kind of visit. If they spot it they will almost instantly start complaining that this device can cause some issues. Plus it is connected to OBD port. And if they want to connect their computer to OBD, they will not be able to unless you disconnect the device.

Going deeper into it. Is there a way of having and OBD adapter/extension plug so that you plug it in, but it have leads going to the side of it, while the other end of the plug is a male OBD? This way you could keep your droid connected, while service connects their computer. Kind of like through adapter. I am not sure if I call it correctly...

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
This is also PnP device for Vag vehicles. Just plug into can-bus and I have older fis+ on GTI and useful information especially for turbo equipped car. Not like VCDS but it also has many functions.
But that's VW family only...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts