Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,411 Posts
The Actron brand scanners can picked up fairly cheap from just about any parts store. There are different models, from basic code readers to ones that display data.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
The Autel MS509, has proven to be consistent in my shop..(purchased $59.00 a yr ago).... Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kia 20 Pin to 16 Pin Female Car OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic Adapter Connector Cable
I have the OBD2 connector on the bottom of my dash, Am I going to need the adapter? I do also have the Data connector under the hood. Thought maybe since I have the OBD2 I Shouldn't need the adapter? :confused:

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sedona 2.9TDI manual with gear oil leak?
5 Posts
Hi can anyone tell me what's the best cheapish obd2 reader for a 2002 Kia Sedona 2.9crdi.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
I know you're looking for a cheap code reader/eraser but I have to show some love for my Actron CP9580A. Graphs, records, pulls PATS/Body/ABS/SRS/EOBD/OBDI/OBDII really everything except bidirectional control and you can buy online for $150 if you are willing to wait for a good deal. Retails for $279 at places like Pep Boys, Autozone etc... It has a function I don't use that much but shows the common fixes and least common fixes for a given code. Better to just use a test light or volt meter and know for sure.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
296 Posts
Autel MS309 is the one I got and it's about US$24 shipped at this time: on Amazon.com. There is no need for a laptop or so, just plug and read.
It's not fancy but fast and as far as I can tell is a very good cheap scanner.
For codes and status it's perfect. If you need graphs etc, spend more money.

MS509 is better but is about 2x as expensive.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
The 309 is just a code reader, the 509 is a live Data Scanner, BIG difference..

But if you have a cell phone/tablet, for less$$ you can get an OBDII dongle and the "TORQUE" app.

.. Philip

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,386 Posts
Autel MS309 is the one I got and it's about US$24 shipped at this time: on Amazon.com. There is no need for a laptop or so, just plug and read.
It's not fancy but fast and as far as I can tell is a very good cheap scanner.
For codes and status it's perfect. If you need graphs etc, spend more money.

MS509 is better but is about 2x as expensive.
Folks need to be aware that the MS309 is solely a code reader, so if you want to tool to assist with diagnosing the fault you'll need a full scanner like the MS509.

Also there's some very cheap bluetooth ones about these days.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
296 Posts
Folks need to be aware that the MS309 is solely a code reader, so if you want to tool to assist with diagnosing the fault you'll need a full scanner like the MS509.

Also there's some very cheap Bluetooth ones about these days.
Didn't I say - for CODES and STATUS?
Yes, 509 is better but OP wanted cheap/er 'scanner', no?

Ok, there is difference between SCANNER and CODE READER.
For people who do just their own oil changes, spark plug changes, ATF changes, belts replacements, O2 sensors.. and such, MS309 is sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,386 Posts
Didn't I say - for CODES and STATUS?
Yes, 509 is better but OP wanted cheap/er 'scanner', no?

Ok, there is difference between SCANNER and CODE READER.
For people who do just their own oil changes, spark plug changes, ATF changes, belts replacements, O2 sensors.. and such, MS309 is sufficient.
Correct, and I wanted to point out the distinct difference difference between a 'scanner' and 'code reader'.

I come across many DIY folks that have a code reader, which does its job in listing the error code, and then find themselves wanting to progress the diagnostics further themselves, and a scanner is then the tool they want.

The code reader can do only that, read the error code - what "STATUS" does it do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OBDII dongle works the same function as Autel scanners?
Autel scanner is a little bit cost, but really good quality
I wonder is it possible to get a obd2 scanner at much lower price but same quality as AUTEL

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,386 Posts
OBDII dongle works the same function as Autel scanners?
Autel scanner is a little bit cost, but really good quality
I wonder is it possible to get a obd2 scanner at much lower price but same quality as AUTEL
You can access the same information with the dongle and software application.

You're unlikely to find a better deal than the Autel for a stand-alone OBDII diagnostic scanner.

My OBD scanner is old and cumbersome, and just because I like to tinker, I bought this WiFi device off eBay for $11 shipped.
ELM327 Mini WiFi OBD2 Car Code Scanner for Android iOS Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay

ELM327 Mini WiFi OBD2 Car Code Scanner for Android iOS Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay

It took 8 days for delivery from China to Louisville KY.

It came with a small CD loaded with bootleg copies of Torque Pro for Andriod and DashCommand for ios devices that are Jailbroken.

I tried it on the Samsung Galaxy Note, and the iPad Mini 2 and they connected at first try and worked great.
The iPad isn't Jailbroken so purchased DashCommand for $9.99

It's far easier to install "unisgned" apps on the Android.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Again, Ron has covered it, saved me from a lot of key bashing...

Now you have to learn how to interprete the data...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,386 Posts
Again, Ron has covered it, saved me from a lot of key bashing...

Now you have to learn how to interprete the data...

.... Philip
I'll not attempt to compete with you in that area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts