Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage, 2003 Toyota Sienna, (1995 Saturn SL1 - gone, was a great car though)
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

My O2 "Sensor 2" fuse was blown. OBDII threw a P0135 (and P0134). I had driven a long time (too long, don't ask) with the engine light on.

Today I ran the codes, did a bit of reserch. Checked the fuses at the toe panel as on the list of things to check. Found the O2 SEN2 was blown (of the two, it's the one on the right). I swapped out the spare fuse, reset the CPU with a battery disconnect, and went for a test drive.

Blew out the fuse again, P0135 on the OBDII when the circuit fails...

So... The P0135 says its the "Front", (upstream?, the one on the exhaust manifold?) and the fuse block calls it SEN2 which is counter intuitive to me... The million dollor questions are:

  • Which O2 should I focus on?, and so to cut to the chase...
  • Is there a place where the wiring frequently wears and grounds out?
Or is this simply what they do when they die, and am I just into it for new sensors?

Thanks.
Warren
 

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage, 2003 Toyota Sienna, (1995 Saturn SL1 - gone, was a great car though)
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it!

Nothing was near anything hot, everything was routed well in that regard.

Where the upstream 02 sensor connects to the harness, the harness is held up by a bendable J hook wire bracket bolted to the top, drivers side, back end of the head/valve cover. The connector and wires had slid up out of their protective plastic conduit and rubbed a hole in the lead running power from the fuse to the O2 sensor. Colour matched the schematic too (green with red stripe).

Other than a bit of exposed copper on the one wire, everything seemed sound. So out came the electrical tape!

There wasn't much room to work with between the connecter and the plastic conduit, but I managed to wrap a "tag" of electrical tape around three of the wires (the worn one included) and then I wrapped the whole thing several times.

Tape is cheap.

I didn't like the idea of the holder wearing through the tape so I cut a piece of the same electrical plastic conduit stuff I just already happened to have, added that in for good measure.

So far so good, the fuse isn't blowing an more and I haven't set any codes so... yay! $1.50 in fuses, some tape and an inch and a half of plastic stuff.

I've attached a photo of the harness, taped up and back in the holder before I decided to add some more of that conduit plastic. (Sorry, it's a little out of focus).

Anyhow, thought I'd share. If you're getting codes off the upper O2 sensor, or are blowing the fuse like I was, check the harness at the connector for damage from that bracket before you sink any money into a new sensor.
 

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top