Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 sportage 06 forester XT
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime reader first time poster. I inherited a 02 kia sportage from my fiance which sadly was neglected for about 100k miles. No maintenance had been done save oil changes and a replaced timing belt. The radiator was bone dry and the tires on steel belts. So far ive changed out the spark plugs/ fuel filter, replaced the vacuum lines for the hubs, put a new hose clamp on the fuel line so no more gas smell , swapped out the thermostat for the one that was listed on forums that is not specific for the kia but it worked to drop the trouble code. All fluids have been changed. Got new main and fuel relays. Upgraded intake and exhausts. Upgraded the tires to 230/70/15 which btw, so much better. Current project is going to be welding on the crank keyway, methinks when the timing belt was done the bolt on the lower belt pully was not properly torqued and with the added power and an aggressive driving style the timing seems to be off. Reguardless of all these things i love my little kia she is finicky and frustrating but so much fun! This forum has been so very helpful i hope to return the favor some day.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum and sounds like your Sportage project is coming along well and we welcome your expertize .

·
Registered
97 sportage 06 forester XT
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heh its been awhile. update. Tore down to the keyway it was perfectly intact. changed out the timing belt idler and tensioner. have tweaked the timing like 5 times now think ima bite the bullet and buy adjustable cam gears although i should really scope it to find absolute tdc. the advanced exhaust deff made for some more torques and lots more noise but top end was meh. changed out the wheel bearing and races turned out the noise was from the hub bearing, whomp whomp. changed out pads and rotors the frot left rotor was warped and least now i have spares so i can just get them turned. Things on my to do list: change out the glasspack for somthing with a lil more backpressure -P its perdy snap crackle pop. the ball joints and tie rod ends are gonna have to b changed soon along with the springs/ shocks. Been saving up to do an engine swap leaning towards a skyline 2.5 turbo with the awd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts