Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone used nylon washers from Fel-PRO? I ordered oil filters and drain plug gaskets (it wasn't advertised as aluminum) and found out that I bought nylon ones :wacko:
just want to know if I should bother sending them back.

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
I don't see any problem with them, just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not leaking. When they are gone, I'd switch back to the alum ones.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I change these washers every oil change, so only thing I'm curious is should I torque to the same specs as aluminum or go easy on nylon ones.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
Just get it good and tight, and check it every once in a while.

·
Registered
Mine 2007 Accord EX-L, Hers 2004 Sorento LX 3.5L
26 Posts
Nylon drain plug washers

When I was in high School (that was a long way back...) I worked in a lube shop (roughly 3-1/2 years) and have only ever used nylon washers for the drain plugs. Snug it up and give it a 1/4 turn, that's it! If you crank it on, it will deform and you can be sure that it will leak.

As for the oil filter, be sure to give the rubber gasket a thin film of oil. This will make it easier to remove later on. Same tightening here as well 1/4 turn past snug. They don't need to be cranked on.

You also mentioned torquing the drain plug??? Do you mean with an actual torque wrench? I have never "truly" torqued a drain plug in my life and I have changed oil on thousands of cars. Not saying you shouldn't torque to manufacturers specifications and I am not pretending to know more than the engineers who came up with those magic numbers. 1/4 turn past snug is all I ever did and I never had a problem. I sure had plenty of problems removing plugs that people cranked on. If you ever have difficulty loosening a plug, stop and try to tighten it. 75% of the time it will move (not much but it is enough) and then you can almost always back it out after that.

Cheers,
LV

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You also mentioned torquing the drain plug??? Do you mean with an actual torque wrench?
Cheers,
LV
Yes. I always use torque wrench. After couple of stripped nuts and bolts I'm playing safe. So far it worked fine for me. As for the filter I use that rule - as soon as gasket touches the surface I do another 3/4 of a turn - done.

But thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts