Kia Forum banner

November 8 release date for next navigation update

4K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  BrianC302 
#1 ·
Let's hope it fixes some of the major issues from the April update. If they have to keep us in purple mode, I can live with that; but let's have more than one or two POI icons per intersection, please.

#5 ·
When I talked to the map people they'd indicated the Nov update is only a data one. As the software which includes the interface has nothing to do with them. Its Kia themselves that supply that part.

#7 ·
Next year sometime will be a full update and hopefully improvements if Kia was notified or aware of issues owners aren't happy about. With the expense of these my old garmin unit still blows it away in all aspects of driving. Too many times I have ended on gravel roads to a destination as it doesn't stick to main paved highways to get you there. There is no option to block wayward routes roads along the route. LOL

I was cursing drive my new to me Sorento on gravel each time. I'd been force to check the main hwy numbers on google maps to know where I should be turning. Avoiding directions going any other path. It shouldn't be that way.

#9 ·
Tried it and not sure and I use my SAT Radio station a lot. I didn't figure out how to manage it in Android auto which I am sure uses data.

#12 ·
I'm noticing that when I turn the engine off with the radio on, and the radio continues playing, it "fast fades" out when I open the driver's door. Before, I swear it simply cut off when opening the door without any kind of fadeout. Am I right? Is this a minor upgrade in the new software update?

#15 ·
You need to contact them at the update site on what they've done. Its a guess at this point but last year I was told it was going to be data only. But as I say last year and a guess on what they did. There is a number somewhere you can call.

#17 ·
The Sorento 2020 update wasn't available for a spell, so I didn't use the update I downloaded before they took it down. It's available again, and it had a new updated updater, so I'm downloading it again, we'll see how it works out this time. Glad I didn't update too quickly, might have regretted it.

#18 ·
I did a binary compare of the files from the first update to the latest one that just appeared again. The only different files appear to be the audio system update files from the previous Nov 8th release. Hopefully, they fixed something that they screwed up the first time! :D

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

#26 ·
Because I like the convenience of using the one that I don't have to mount the phone for. I'm still not happy with the performance of Android Auto in my car, so I prefer using the Kia Nav if it can be properly updated. For long trips that traffic might be a major issue, I cross-check with Google maps.

#21 ·
I have this very expensive GPS built in. Kia needs to make it work effectively. Few if any streets or roads show up with names on them. Especially in non nav mode. Even in Nav to mode names don't appear. Sometimes if I play with zoom level more appear. But thats extremely distraction me in driving and I cannot be doing it all the time on a route.

Reactions: DenverBrian
#23 ·
That port is likely a low powered USB port. Most phones need a 2A port min to charge properly especial when on and active. There is fast charge port in the arm rest area but won't work for android auto.

#29 ·
I tried Good Maps years ago just on the phone and it uses a lot of data even a short trip. I don't have a big data allowance. Its expensive for bigger cell data. GPS doesn't need data but a phone does. Stupid system.

#32 ·
It's been written about here before, earlier Sorento years had a more anemic USB power output. I have no problem with the wireless charging with my 2020 SX charging my Galaxy S21 G5. It charges fine with the USB cord as well, but I don't really use that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.