Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now if you are a sedona owner like I am, and have a 3.5 liter gas engine,
You are probebly getting 15 to 20 miles per gallon , give or take.
Verry poor if you ask me. Anyway I decided to do some experiments and modifications to my SEDONA VAN , witch by the way is a gem.
Oh yea...I have an 03 SEDONA EX .
To continue here , I installed a thermometer inside the air breather , just before the filter and noticed that the air at this point was the same temperature as the outside , I also noticed that the entry at the air breather is about 3 inch in diameter and the air entry in the grill was a lot smaller , so I decided to take off the air breather system from the grill to the air breather .

The result : More power not that SEDONA needs more power.
: unbeleivable noticable fuel reduction
I have not yet calculated it yet , but I go a lot further on fuel even with higher fuel cost.
When I say farther I meen a lot farther.

Now this may work better in colder climate , but try it .
It can't harm anything...

To non SEDONA owners out there reading this tread this may also work for you , .......Good luck.......

A WORD OF CAUTION :::::::::DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR FILTER::::::::::
You will do more harm than good.
Maybe even ruin your motor..

If you have comments and or opinion and or Questions on this or anything else feel free to reply.
I'll be happy to answer your questions if I can.....

DRIVE ON>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did the same thing on my 04 EX in my post about air intake mods. If you want even better, get you a 90 degree rubber elbow, you can get them on e-bay, and a short piece of 3 inch aluminum intake piping and run it straight down off the air box, you will pick up a lot cooler air then what it is sucking right at the air box. The stock intake pipe was ridiculous, not sure if the 03 had the same as the 04, but all it did was route the pickup on the other side of the engine in the same exact spot. You're right, removing it won't harm anything, it just reduces the restriction from all the bends. All that pipe was for was to reduce intake sound.

I would still like to find a turbo diesel hood with the scoop and hook something up to that for the intake, just can't find a hood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's really not noticable at all. You can tell it's a little louder when you tromp on it, but it is still very quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you in parts skpoppa .
When you say that you you pipe for colder air , this is probably great for a warm climate I do not doubth you ther . But I have also notised that in cold climate below freezing temp it takes more a lot fuel
I noticed that for best fuel economy ,the temperature starts at aprox +10%celcius (50%F). I can't tell you any thing past 18% celcius (66%F), but will know soon ....

Skpoppa is the temp where you live , stay above 10% celcious(50%F) ?

If it does that's most likely why you have to pipe it outside the engine bay.
If that's the case , then I'll probably have to do the same thing as you did.

thank's for the reply, skpoppa ...

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have varying temps here, below zero in the winter, can be above 100 in the summer. I don't know if the 03 has the same intake setup the 04 has but if it did, I'm certain that the temp at the orginal pickup was the same as if you take it off and take in straight into the air box. The cooler air in Canada will also always the air under the hood cooler. Cooler air will always give you a cleaner burn and wastes less fuel because it burns more of it. I've never really checked temps, but normal driving, outside air will be cooler then under the hood and will give you better mpg, but under hard driving conditions you will notice less mpg, but more HP. Colder climates may also affect the lubrication of the engine which could also rob you of hp and mpg. Since I put this on I got 18mpg in the City. When I first got the van I was getting 12mpg. I then put in a K&N filter and was closer to 15mpg, just removing the intake I jumped to 16mpg, and running the pipe down my first tank got 18mpg. I'll see if it stays that way and let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all
Here is my findings.

Based on 1000 milles (85% hiway 15%city)
With original equipment 18mpg.

Based on 1000 milles (85% hiway 15%city)
With air pipe removed 23mpg.

not bad

now I'm going to pipe the air outside to see if there's a diffrence.

this may take awile because I have other tests to do as well.

have a nice day , I'll keep you posted.

.........Drive on......... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried this with my 04 Sedona and it worked great! 27 MPG on the Highway. The only question I have is will this "Mod" effect my warranty? Do I have to re-install the breather every time I go in for service?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Modifications will not void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification is what caused a malfunction. Removing the pipe is not changing anything at all to the engine setup, it is just reducing restriction on the intake side, it is still flowing through all the factory sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK guys, so as a complete novice can compete with qualified petrol and diesel heads any chance of some pictures of the bits to be removed to get this improvement ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
well if I remember right, there is only one bolt, maybe two, and the hose clamp. Look at your air filter box and the tube that comes off of it and runs across the radiator, that is what you're removing. Should be a bolt or two up front on top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts