Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento 2.4 GDI 4 cyl Engine
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a EUC update on my sorento after it malfunctioned and went into limp mode . Got it back and vehicle will not shift. So now the dealer is saying its the transmission or electrical issue. I had no shift problems prior. anyone have this happen?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,556 Posts
I had a EUC update on my sorento after it malfunctioned and went into limp mode . Got it back and vehicle will not shift. So now the dealer is saying its the transmission or electrical issue. I had no shift problems prior. anyone have this happen?
Is it still at the dealership?

Its a time like this that you've got to hope that the dealership has some integrity and correct it if its something that they caused with the update.

No, I haven't seen reports here of that happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it still at the dealership?

Its a time like this that you've got to hope that the dealership has some integrity and correct it if its something that they caused with the update.

No, I haven't seen reports here of that happen.
Yes still at dealer. When the dealer hasn't even plugged in the TCU to diagnose the problem , calles to tell me it the transmission or electrical problem clearly has no integrity. Just saying.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
413 Posts
Well, given it's a 2013, isn't that covered by the 10 year/ 100K mile warranty?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
784 Posts
You said after the ECU malfunctioned and went into limp mode. Did they say why? Flashing the ECU, I believe, is not usually the fix for going into limp mode.

Perhaps the issue being experienced now is related to why it went into limp mode.

Did you take the Sorento back after the ECU flash? Did you drive off the parking lot and notice the problem and turned back? What does the invoice of work done you were provided with say?

More details please.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
73 Posts
I had a EUC update on my sorento after it malfunctioned and went into limp mode .
If it went into limp mode it was not shifting at that time. So they've flashed the ECU, likely there was an update available, the original problem is still there, so still in limp and not shifting is what I take from the info written.

I'd also expect codes present, did they report what codes were stored?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it went into limp mode it was not shifting at that time. So they've flashed the ECU, likely there was an update available, the original problem is still there, so still in limp and not shifting is what I take from the info written.

I'd also expect codes present, did they report what codes were stored?
I was driving on 70 loud noise from engine. Vehicle went into limp mode. Limped it home and towed it to dealer. Bergstrom dealer has a code on P1326 so they said we installed a ECU update vehicle was fine. As i got closer to home I noticed it wasn't shifting . More noticeable when you drove aggressively. So i asked my husband to take it for a ride. He was driving it more aggressive them I was. Took it to the hwy and it was horrible. Got home and call Bergstrom dealer he said to bring it in. I said i will have to tomorrow after I'm done with work. I dropped it off. They called and said this was not there when the tech tested it. I told them , bullshit!!! He said 90.00 to diagnose this is not a warranty problem. It is electrical or your transportation. I said bullshit!! I need my car so yes diagnose it. I have not heard a thing back yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The code wa h

I was driving on 70 loud noise from engine. Vehicle went into limp mode. Limped it home and towed it to dealer. Bergstrom dealer has a code on P1326 so they said we installed a ECU update vehicle was fine. As i got closer to home I noticed it wasn't shifting . More noticeable when you drove aggressively. So i asked my husband to take it for a ride. He was driving it more aggressive them I was. Took it to the hwy and it was horrible. Got home and call Bergstrom dealer he said to bring it in. I said i will have to tomorrow after I'm done with work. I dropped it off. They called and said this was not there when the tech tested it. I told them , bullshit!!! He said 90.00 to diagnose this is not a warranty problem. It is electrical or your transportation. I said bullshit!! I need my car so yes diagnose it. I have not heard a thing back yet.
Bad presumption on my part, now with that story, I googled that code as I can't find it for cars over hear and not liking what I'm reading in the first instance. Knock sensor and loud noise from motor. I'm getting hits for bad conrod / bearings.

@ 7:30 have a listen and or the whole video.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking limp as in transmission limp originally, I think by the way that guy was talking that code reduced engine power

·
Registered
73 Posts

P1326 KIA Meaning
The Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear. It is designed to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the occurrence of severe engine damage, including engine failure. If vibrations caused by bearing wear start to occur, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will blink continuously, and the vehicle will be placed in Limp Home Mode. This will reduce further damage to the engine and ensure that the vehicle occupants are not exposed to the risk of a more severe engine failure. At that time, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1326, specific to the KSDS, will be recorded in the ECU. The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in Limp Home Mode, but it will accelerate slowly and have a reduced maximum speed. Also, engine RPMs will be limited to approximately 1800-2000 RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

P1326 KIA Meaning
The Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear. It is designed to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the occurrence of severe engine damage, including engine failure. If vibrations caused by bearing wear start to occur, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will blink continuously, and the vehicle will be placed in Limp Home Mode. This will reduce further damage to the engine and ensure that the vehicle occupants are not exposed to the risk of a more severe engine failure. At that time, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1326, specific to the KSDS, will be recorded in the ECU. The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in Limp Home Mode, but it will accelerate slowly and have a reduced maximum speed. Also, engine RPMs will be limited to approximately 1800-2000 RPM.
Well update. No transmission or electrical issue. Now its the catalytic converter they claim it will cost 4625. 00 when i can have a third party replace it for 600.00. 4600.00 is more like a new engine.
No co2 censor code to prove it. The root cause is the engine but they will not fix it. Ive call Kia rep 5 times now. Nobody will help me. I have to pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well update. No transmission or electrical issue. Now its the catalytic converter they claim it will cost 4625. 00 when i can have a third party replace it for 600.00. 4600.00 is more like a new engine.
No co2 censor code to prove it. The root cause is the engine but they will not fix it. Ive call Kia rep 5 times now. Nobody will help me. I have to pick it up tomorrow.
Sounds better than my doomsday thoughts. SO it was blocked and loud noise was it blowing apart under pressure? You would not go near the dealer in my opinion

·
Registered
73 Posts
You just need a good locally trusted technician I think, they're out there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,556 Posts
Could you please tell me more? I'm fighting with Bergstroms in Appleton and Kia to get my engine fixed right now.
Keep it to one thread, this one!

Are you suggesting that its gone from "not shifting" to the "engine needs fixing"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep it to one thread, this one!

Are you suggesting that its gone from "not shifting" to the "engine needs fixing"?
No. I'm vehicle had large amounts of oil burn to engine knocking and malfunction light on to limp mode is a start of it all. Then they updated the ecu. From there they said, electrical problem to transmit problems to cat plugged. All started was the p1326 code. Engine knocking detected system due to bearings wear is the root problem. Burning oil will plug the cat. Why did there tech find it when the drove the car?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,556 Posts
No. I'm vehicle had large amounts of oil burn to engine knocking and malfunction light on to limp mode is a start of it all. Then they updated the ecu. From there they said, electrical problem to transmit problems to cat plugged. All started was the p1326 code. Engine knocking detected system due to bearings wear is the root problem. Burning oil will plug the cat. Why did there tech find it when the drove the car?
What's with your choice of thread title and everything you've posted at the start of this thread?

"Shifting problem" , but actually "failed engine"?

Below is about the only useful information folks here can offer.

You just need a good locally trusted technician I think, they're out there somewhere.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,597 Posts
Do not go forward with any repair that this stealership wants to charge you for.

Open a case with Kia Corporate using the url below. Make sure to mention the P1326 code in your message, and also the Kia service advisor/manager you have been speaking with. Then wait until Corporate replies and continue to discuss your case with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts