Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going up Gorham Hill Road today (U.S. Route 2-Gorham, NH) I was trying to pass an 18-wheeler...(I was succesful :D ) However, I was stopped by NH State Trooper because I was doing 66mph in a 55mph. Only got a written warning...told him I was still new at driving a KIA and my speedometer is in increments of 20, so its really hard to do 50-55 lol To get back on track, I think it is awesome to be able to do 70+mph up a mountain like that with a "little 4 cylinder).

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
When driving from San Antonio, to Southern Ca I typically set the cruise control between 75-85MPH depending on police presence. The car doesn't loose speed on any hills even when fully/over packed with my stuff. Add to that that I only fill up around every 300 miles (30+ MPG with the AC on all the time), the Sephia makes pretty quick work of cross country travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that my Kia is back in action with clean fuel injectors and new spark plugs, the car has gained a lot of "pick up". The car was lagging on hills, but now it blasts through them.

Great car...nuff said.

Cleo

·
Registered
107 Posts
yeah, your not kiddin either! I noticed that my Kia is sensitive to air flow so I redisigned the air intake about 6 times before I found a really good position with the least amount of restrictions (stock piping uas 2 90* bends which limit air flow, I used a 30* bend metal pipe). Its nice to have a car that you can tune and get such decient responce out of it. Wen I had a slightly modified intake (basically took off the front air intake piping and replaced it with a flexable baffled hose with a K&N ont he end of it (I know, it was terrible, and I left the stock air filter in there which really made it a moot point) and I got up to 120. I am sure I can get to 120+ easily, I will most likely get to 135 if I can squeeze in enough modifications. Next on the list is Exaust work then a new carb and injectors.

even though people say Kias suck, you don't really know how good it is, until you drive it and put the peddle to the floor where the rubber meets the road. Its a ball working on the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well, I had fun doing alot of WOT blasts with my new intake, the car has so much power, sound louder (you can her the air getting sucked ina nd the engine revving up so much more). My car easily gets up to 120MPH easily, and I haven't even began modifying it yet, I still ahve to get my ECU addon box, new exaust and I should be good to go (for now, until I can afford mroe mods).

I totally spanked my friend's Honda civic Hatch back, his engine is a 1.6L SOHC distributor system, but his engine is lighter and mroe optimized then mine, I did a few quick tweaks, a little weight reduction and my car was comparable to his when I had the very restrictive intake (he had a better intake then I did at one point) until I redesigned my intake, now he is all jealous and said that "my car sucks" but I had to gently remind him that my "lowly kia" beats his so called "superior honda". Needless to say that he kept his mouth shut for a while.

Thats another win for Kia.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To Kia freaks(like me), remember the 1.8 litre Kia engine is very similar to the engine that Mazda put in the Miata! It isn't quite identical but very similar. And the Miata has a good name. Speedster1

·
Registered
107 Posts
yes, that is correct speedster1. Its approx. 90% similiar to mazda with slight modifications (and uses a differenc ECU as well as different sensors and placements). Thats as far as I remember. They may not be major power houses, but they are damn effecient. Especially since most of the sephias are front wheel drive, which (from what I noticed) seem to have less of an HP loss then real wheel drive and have slightly better handling, but thats my opinion.

Doesn't take much to give it enough power to be race worthy either. In fact if I wanted, i could go and play with some of the big boy hondas (not talking about rice-burner wannabes) but I do it more for the fun of meing mechanically inclined, my own satisfaction and making things more effecient. I don't really care to race, but I don't mind going fast (where applicable).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts