Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their NAV software on their Borrego? I see that an update is available through the dealer (checked out the Navteq website). I was wondering if the upgrade provided any other additional advantages outside of upgraded maps and how much the upgrade cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The Borrego NAV update is now available. The TSB is available on KGIS/Kiatechinfo as of this morning (Tuesday 12/20/11)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder how much this will cost. Also, does anyone know if this update also updates the format and appearance?
My dealer quoted me $400.00!!! That aint gunn happen. I can buy a BRAND new handheld for 100 bucks every year and be up to date!

This whole Navigation thing is a joke! I have been in contact with Map-N-Soft for TWO years for this......my 2009 had 2008 data new.....Personally I think anyone with a Borrego should recieve there new maps free of charge being that they were old when the vehicle was bought!

Ok...I'm done! :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You can buy it online and do it yourself for less than $250.

By the way, even the current map update is going to be 6-8 months old. It takes that long get the data from raw form to usable software for the product its intended for. And guess what, that costs $$$, therefore why it isn't free.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I called my local dealer and they said that the NAV update was $215.00

This included the time for them to do it. I am not sure if I will go ahead and do it but I am considering it. I think that there will be some updates to the interface and new POI's. I know it is a lot of money, but if you have the nav, you might as well use it to its full extent with the new software.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can buy it online and do it yourself for less than $250.

By the way, even the current map update is going to be 6-8 months old. It takes that long get the data from raw form to usable software for the product its intended for. And guess what, that costs $$$, therefore why it isn't free.
Where online can you buy this update?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have talked to Salazar Kia, my dealer in AZ and the Borrego update has to be done by them. It has something to do with our Nav being the first generation/Or the USB update, not exactly sure why. I also called MapnSoft awhile back and they said the dealer would have to update it for me. The dealer cost is $189 for the update. Salazar did tell me that the update is already 6 to 8 months old and that Map n soft is getting ready to start with the next update. I think I am going to wait for the newer version to come out. How long this will take, I am not sure, but for almost 200, I can wait a few more months.

I just went to the mapnsoft web page and it states that they are getting ready to release a new update soon and are not going to be taking orders for the current update they have now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went to the mapnsoft web page and it states that they are getting ready to release a new update soon and are not going to be taking orders for the current update they have now.
Where did you see this? I just looked on the site and see they have "v4 North America Map Update for Borrego" listed. I'm wondering if this is the new version or if they simply removed the reference to the update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the version they have on the webpage has been out for awhile. The new update is in the works. If you have questions give them a call. I have called in the past and they were very helpful and friendly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe the version they have on the webpage has been out for awhile. The new update is in the works. If you have questions give them a call. I have called in the past and they were very helpful and friendly.
Thank You for that info! I think that I can wait a few months also for the updates inorder to get the latest version.
Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gps update?

I have read all the posts and been online doing everything everyone suggested...IS THERE ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY GOT A GPS UPDATE FOR THE BORREGE???????The map in the vehicle is dated 2008....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Borrego Navigation upgrade experience

I'm the proud owner of a 2009 Borrego with an integrated Infinity audio and nav system. Purchased the vehicle new and it and the audio/nav system has been performing admirably for the past 5 years that I've had it. I've recently upgraded the nav and wanted to share my experience with it. The previous version was V_064 and the new version is V_0610_2.

First, thanks to those of you on this forum whose postings directed me to mapnsoft.com where I purchased the upgrade. I bought it for less than what I thought it would cost (it cost me $149 before tax and S/H). The software arrived in a nice USB in a well padded envelope along with good written and visual direction in a glossy manual. The upgrade process itself occurred as advertised. No bumps in the road during upgrade process. The experience was not unlike performing a computer software update or upgrade.

The first thing that surprised me about the process was that it is not just a map update, but a system upgrade. An update is when your wife puts on a new shade of lipstick. An upgrade is when you get a new wife. This was an upgrade. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll leave to you to decide. But wanted to share my initial impressions of some of the good versus bad.

The good: All screens - the radio, satellite, USB/Aux, navigation, system - have been freshened up, some more than others, but they each still retain a familiar enough look that you can confidently whiz you way through things. I like that the pre-set radio button you select is now lit up in a more clearly distinguishable yellow-orange color. There is a new audio setting button on the radio, satellite and USB/Aux home screens that allows you directly access the bass/mid/treble settings. And more information is displayed on the same screen real estate when the radio text feature is turned on. When the text feature is off, that space is instead occupied by a cool old school looking horizontal radio tuning display.

The bad: Where the heck did the mute button go on the navigation screen? That was my favorite thing about the whole system! Now, to mute that voice, you'll have to go through the menu. That is a huge strike in my book. Also, any addresses you've saved in your nav system will be erased with this upgrade. Not a huge loss in my view because I have them saved elsewhere. But if you don't, then beware. And, needless to say, your saved pre-set radio stations are bye-bye. Not a big deal, I think.

On balance, I'm pleased to know that my trusty Borrego now has an updated map. And I like the refreshed look of all the screens. But whose idea was it to do away with that navigation mute button? Off with his head!

[UPDATE: I wish to RETRACT my comment about there being no mute button on the navigation screen. It does indeed exist. It appears only after a destination has been entered. I've duly done a forehead slap, a la V8 Juice commercial, and apologize to the hardworking developers, programmers, their family, spouses and progeny, and any others persons or creatures, living or to be born, who might have read or will read my comment about the non-existence of mute button with considerable chagrin. The nav mute button is alive. The universe is back in balance, all is right, and I'm in love with Borrego all over again.]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts