Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia rondo 2.4 ltr. Automatic, 2000 Tacoma & 1969 VW bug.
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Final report......2,000+ mostly highway miles in summer heat . ZERO oil usage. Still at full mark on level ground.
...........I’ll be sticking to 5w20 synthetic high mileage from now on.
I know I said final report but just one more.......3,000+ miles and within 1/8” from full on level ground. A lot better than the 3/4 quart per 3,000 miles I was experiencing with the non synthetic 5w20.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Just to compare, I have used 5-20 (per manual) since new. Over 300,000 km and no noticeable oil usage/loss between changes. I change oil now between 5000 and 8000 km or so.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just to compare, I have used 5-20 (per manual) since new. Over 300,000 km and no noticeable oil usage/loss between changes. I change oil now between 5000 and 8000 km or so.
Is that regular oil or synthetic?

P.S. I have an unrelated question and you seem like the man to ask.....I have a Gates serpentine belt gauge and according to that my belt (90,000 miles & 11 years old) is still perfect. Being old school I’m used to replacing belts much sooner.

Am I worrying needlessly ? How often do you change the serpentine belt ? Thx.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Belts can look "good" and fail... I ignored my own advice and let my wife's 2008 Hyundai Tiburon go past 98k and I ended up pulling the heads (2.7l V6) after the timing belt broke and wound around the crank pulley (that saved me a lot of extra damage)... I was lucky that only 2 exhaust valves were bent...
The timing belt stopped the engine very quickly... We use only Valvoline full synthetic 5w20 and the engine inside looked like new... Very little wear on the cams and no varnish on the parts...

I would say replace the belt now... I have replaced the timing belts on all of my 2.0l I4 Spectras (we have 5 in our family and friends) and no problems as of yet...

I learned the hard way...
Dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dave - Totally with you on the timing belt, I’ve had numerous engines in the past with timing belts and never let them go beyond 60K......The Rondo 2.4 is a chain drive cam so no worries there.

It’s these new serpentine belts made out of EPDM, they don’t wear like the old material belts.
I have a sister with 150K plus on her Altima ( I don’t think I would have the nerve to go that long) and it still looks good.

( Gates will send you a free gauge to test them but I was just wondering if you regular maintenance guys were changing them on a regular schedule since the owners manual only lists Inspect all the way up to 150K miles were it ends )

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
P.S. Dave when I used to do our 60K timing belts I would change out the serpentine belt just because it was cheap enough and I had it off already.....which is probably your case also. Same thing with some pulleys and water pumps.....heck your down that far might as well replace things.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Is that regular oil or synthetic?

P.S. I have an unrelated question and you seem like the man to ask.....I have a Gates serpentine belt gauge and according to that my belt (90,000 miles & 11 years old) is still perfect. Being old school I’m used to replacing belts much sooner.

Am I worrying needlessly ? How often do you change the serpentine belt ? Thx.
I use regular name brand oil, whatever is on sale at Walmart. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, etc.
I change out my serpentine belt when doing the timing belt changes. The serpentine belt isn't that hard to change and they're fairly inexpensive, and tough to judge when they may break in my opinion. Would leave you stranded, so best to be preventative I think.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
154 Posts
Follow up.....
I eventually switched to 5W30 high mileage synthetic and I’m burning about 1/2 qt. every 4,000 mostly highway miles.........13 years old and 118K miles, not too bad for the 2.4 Theta engine.

( But not as good as my 20 year old 135K mile 2.4 Toyota that uses no oil )

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX 2.7 V6
53 Posts
So did the oil use increase or decrease after moving to 5w30? In the previous posts about HM 5w-20, your reported usage sounds lower, which is inconsistent with the thinner oil you were using. I am planning to switch from 5w20 to 5w30 in the next oil change, so it would be very helpful to know if your oil consumption went up or down.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
154 Posts
It’s a little over two years ago ( and maybe 30K ) with the 5w20 and no oil use. Also it might have been a different brand. But I do believe the 5w30 burns less than 5w20.
Last year I used 5w30 Mobil 1 on a 9,000 cross country tour and used maybe 3/4 qt. total.
( I usually use Walmart synthetic and change it every 3-4K but for that trip I went for the expensive 5w30 Mobil 1 extended drain oil and the Mobil 1 synthetic filter .......different brands make a difference )

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX 2.7 V6
53 Posts
It’s a little over two years ago ( and maybe 30K ) with the 5w20 and no oil use. Also it might have been a different brand. But I do believe the 5w30 burns less than 5w20.
Last year I used 5w30 Mobil 1 on a 9,000 cross country tour and used maybe 3/4 qt. total.
( I usually use Walmart synthetic and change it every 3-4K but for that trip I went for the expensive 5w30 Mobil 1 extended drain oil and the Mobil 1 synthetic filter .......different brands make a difference )
Thank you for the response. I got some Pennzoil Platinum HM for the first oil change, then I will probably switch to Super tech HM synthetic. Both will be 5w30, as the tolerances of the engine have likely been enlarged after 132k miles of service. I hope switching to a thicker grade early will help avoid oil consumption problems in the future.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo LXV6
28 Posts
I am not sure what they were using on my Kia when I bought it but it was burning and/or using a lot of oil.

First oil change I did I used conventional 10w-40 Castrol GTX High Mileage and it seemed to really cut down on the oil consumption/burning.

I recently changed the oil again and seeing that a lot of people are using lower weight oil I went to 10w-30 in the same type...especially with winter approaching. I also am using a purolator one oil filter.

It seems to be running really well on this combination. I bought it at 204,000 miles about 2 months ago and I am approaching the 210,000 mark.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX 2.7 V6
53 Posts
Only the winter grade of oil has an effect on cold starts, so you would have been better off with 5w-30 or 5w-40. You should be ok with a 10w-XX oil as long as it does not go below freezing or your car is garaged. Also, a word of caution on the P1 oil filters, they have a tendency to tear during longer OCIs. For questions pretaining to oil and filters, you could check out the BITOG forums. Otherwise, good work on getting the car to reduce oil consumption.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts