Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia rondo 2.4 ltr. Automatic, 2000 Tacoma & 1969 VW bug.
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2004 we bought two Korean cars ( Chevy daewoo aveo) and in 2007 a Kia Rondo.
The Aveo's are 167k and 186k and don't use a drop of oil between oil changes. The Rondo is 83k and uses almost a quart ( at highway speeds ) of oil in 1000k miles. All the vehicles were serviced the same.
................Is this normal oil usage for a 83k mile 2.4 L Rondo ?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,493 Posts
By coincidence, we also have 2 Aveos in the family - an '05 and '06. These engines are wonderfully uncomplicated, and yes they never use oil. We also have the '11 Forte and also my Daughter's '11 Mazda 3i 2.0L; and neither one of those engines ever use any oil, both with 7.5K OCIs. BTW, the engine in the Forte is a later version of the same Theta engine that's in your Rondo.

So from my personal perspective, 1 quart in 1K miles is horrific. But that's just me, and I suspect that if your engine was still under warranty, a stealership would tell you that usage is 'normal'. However , since it's no longer under warranty, they may very well agree that it's not normal, and also be quite willing to sell you a new engine.

The first thing to evaluate with oil 'usage' is leaks. I'm going to assume here that you have positively determined that there are no external leaks on this engine. However, if that's not the case, I would urge you to do that asap, because there are multiple ways for an 11 year old vehicle to externally leak oil.

So assuming no leaks, an important question would be the oil loss history. Has this engine always had oil usage, and is just slowly increasing over time? If not, and the loss just started recently, that would suggest that a significant problem might be in the works.

But if it's always been a oil user, then the most important question is what to do about it. And the answer to that question is the same for almost every owner: do nothing. It's simply going to cost WAY too much to open up the engine and go poking around looking for the culprit. You might just as well buy a new engine and hope the replacement does better. But almost no one does that either.

Some folks experiment with oil brands and higher viscosities, which is certainly something you could try as well. But the bottom line is to just continue checking the oil regularly, top-off as necessary, and hope this drinking habit doesn't get much worse.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,484 Posts
Been a member here for over a year now, one item I have never seen posted as a source of motor oil usage is VALVE SEALS.
YEARS ago VW had a major problem with the type composition of the valve seals(1979-1981) as the cause of excessive motor oil consumption.
Granted it is a fairly involved job to go in and replace them, but most certainly a lot less expensive than another engine in cost!
I have not taken a Kia motor open to know just what it is to do them, Just throwing my thoughts out there for consideration!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for the input....the Rondo never used oil before (owned since new) and no leaks. It probably started using oil slowly over the last few oil changes ( 3 k oil and filter) and I have been using the same oil type. The car has always been driven VERY CONSERVATIVELY.

Maybe I'll try a different type oil like high mileage ( I read high mileage is really only good to swell worn seals but maybe intake valve seals also)

Next oil change isn't due for about 2k miles but when it's done I will report back if a different type oil makes any difference.....meanwhile with the price of a new Niro starting at about 21k I think I'll just keep adding oil every thousand or so.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not exactly sure how I messed up.....probably parking on uneven ground and adding a little oil each time when it really didn't need any ?????

Anyway took a long 1,600 mile highway ( average 70 mph) trip and checked carefully when home. Used less than a half quart ( just going by dip stick it might be about 12 oz low)

So over the last few oil changes I went from no oil usage between changes to about maybe 3/4 quart every 3,000 . At 83,000 ( lots of short trip city driving miles ) miles and 11 years old.....not bad I guess.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
For certain you need to be checking the oil consistently. That means always on level ground, and also waiting approximately the same amount of time after shutting off the engine. It doesn't matter how long you wait, just do it the same way each time. Some guys always check it cold in the morning before starting up, and that's fine as well. It sounds like you need to put a few more K miles, in order to be more certain of exactly what the usage is with your engine.

·
Registered
Kia Soul!, 2011
132 Posts
It might not be using a lot of oil while driving on highways - the engine load is very modest and fairly constant (that's why highway miles count less than the city miles).
I would look at any leaks such as valve covers (will leak on exhaust manifold, burning off) or any blue smoke at tail pipe (while accelerating - worn piston rings, while decelerating - worn valve seals).

·
Registered
Kia Carens 2007
98 Posts
Been a member here for over a year now, one item I have never seen posted as a source of motor oil usage is VALVE SEALS.
Valve seals are one of causes of oil usage, but not so much as in this case! If engine eats oil som much the reason is piston rings.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,484 Posts
Valve seals are one of causes of oil usage, but not so much as in this case! If engine eats oil som much the reason is piston rings.
Well in this particular thread, we are BOTH wrong! and at posted mileage of this cars thread, I would seriously doubt RINGS. But yes rings going bad can and will make oil consumption quite noticeable.:)

·
Registered
2004 Spectra EX
29 Posts
I'd agree it's most likely not the rings. Even one cylinder with bad rings would normally be quite noticeable with blue tailpipe smoke.

I'd follow the advice given, check the oil consistently. Same method every time so you're getting accurate comparisons.

The high mileage oil may not be a bad idea but I'd only use it if needed so make sure you need it first. It is possible the valve seals could be the problem. Depending on the seal type, it's very possible valve seals can go bad with age, not mileage. If the vehicle does alot of sitting and the seals don't stay lubed they can start to dry out. Rings can also tend to get a little sticky but that's going to be it had to be poorly maintained and sat for a very long time. For engines with that problem, I've had good luck in the past with a pint of Marvels Mystery Oil in the crankcase and within a couple thousand miles oil consumption got much better.

How about the PCV Valve? Had it been replaced as suggested at proper intervals? They too can become sticky and not work 100% correct and allow a little oil to be sucked up into the intake. Those are cheap enough, maybe worth throwing a few bucks at it for just because and call it maintenance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
?...........

How about the PCV Valve? Had it been replaced as suggested at proper intervals? They too can become sticky and not work 100% correct and allow a little oil to be sucked up into the intake. Those are cheap enough, maybe worth throwing a few bucks at it for just because and call it maintenance.
PCV valve ???? It is original and the oil usage isn't as much as I first thought, but it did start over last few changes......I think I'll try replacing the PCV . Thx.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I hit the "buy it now" button on eBay I thought I better check the PCV first.....it had never been out before but was perfectly clean ( I washed it out with carb cleaner but no sludge, no nothing ) and rattles like it should........ I change oil regularly so I guess I kept it perfectly clean.

It was a good suggestion though, I guess I'm back to trying the high mileage oil next oil change.

(It's only using roughly 3/4 of a quart in 3,000 miles, not the original "almost a quart every 1,000 miles", that I mistakenly posted. Still it seems to have started recently over the last few changes )

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
.... It's only using roughly 3/4 of a quart in 3,000 miles, not the original "almost a quart every 1,000 miles", that I mistakenly posted. Still it seems to have started recently over the last few changes
First off, I'll say hats off to you for coming back to report that the usage has not been nearly as much as you originally posted. There are very few follow-ups of any kind on these forums, and it's extremely rare to read a correction from an OP, so kudos to you for that :beer:

If you've been using 5W-20, one other thing that you might consider before going to high mileage oil, is a switch to 5W-30. Aside from that, just keep on doing the carefully monitoring and topping off that you've been doing, and hopefully the usage will hang in there and not get much worse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If you've been using 5W-20, one other thing that you might consider before going to high mileage oil, is a switch to 5W-30. Aside from that, just keep on doing the carefully monitoring and topping off that you've been doing, and hopefully the usage will hang in there and not get much worse.
5w-30 ......yes good idea since my Tacoma uses 5w-30 also and since my next oil change will probably be due as warm weather approaches.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just following up on old tread.......the Rondo was finally due for an oil change so I went for a 5w-20 hi mileage synthetic (Walmart brand) ....... Just came back from over a thousand mile highway trip at 70 mph pulling a utility trailer at maybe 800 pounds..........ZERO OIL USAGE : )

( previous oil was 5w-20 regular Walmart brand)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It will be interesting to see how much oil it uses in the future. If the oil usage continues to be very low, then it's basically certain that the additives designed to make the oil seals swell that are in the high mileage oil were the reason for the improvement.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage SX AWD
355 Posts
It pays to use a good oil. May I suggest getting the Mobil1 high-mileage 5W-20 also sold at Walmart? In any event, congrats on solving the mystery. I know you'll sleep better at night knowing your engine is still good. I'd say you gave it 'the acid test' by taking the long trip and pulling the trailer.

·
Registered
Kia Carens 2007
98 Posts
I'm wondering why you use 5W-20 instead of more viscous 5W-30 or better 5W-40?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5w20 since that’s what Kia ( in USA at least ) recommends in the owners manual.
If I determined that I did in fact have a worn out ( worn rings and bearings ) engine I would definitely go to a higher viscosity. Until then I’ll go by the owners manual.

P.S. the reason I use Walmart these days is because of the Consumer Reports test on motor oils done on N.Y.C. taxis......The results; no appreciable difference in all the brands tested as long as they met the required specifications for the engine.
I use name brand filters and change oil every 3,000 miles or 6 months, whatever comes first.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final report......2,000+ mostly highway miles in summer heat . ZERO oil usage. Still at full mark on level ground.
...........I’ll be sticking to 5w20 synthetic high mileage from now on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts