Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Sorento XE CRDI with 5 speed auto box which has now covered 4500miles since purchase in May. I am generally pleased with it, apart from a noisey diesel engine and in my opinion poor fuel economy (I have been unable to achieve more than 24 mpg under any conditions).
My supplying dealer has informed me that all sorento's are as noisey as mine and the fuel economy is to be expected from a vehicle of this type and size. I find this very dissappointing as the manufacturers brochure quote much higher mpg figures, this coupled with the articles regarding mpg posted in the SORENTO forum that I have just read, has convinced me that there is a serious mechanical fault with the engine, but I am now facing the usual lack of interest from the supplying dealer in sorting the problem out. This has tainted my opinion of what on paper appears to be a very capable vehicle.

Have I just been unfortunate with this vehicle or have any other owners experienced similar problems :(

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wouldn;t class the sorento as noisy, obviously it's quite difficult to tell on here if yours is noisy or not.
I would say, you know it;s a diesel under the bonnet, but I would say it's not actually intrusive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I have owned two diesel engine powered vehicles previously (Peugeot 806 and Seat Alhambra), but can honestly say the SORENTO is by far the noisiest (even when driven with light acceleration!)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Ian,
I think the dealer is trying it on with you, hoping you will go away now that they have your money. I have been involved with the Kia group on Yahoo since it's set up and we now have over 80 Sorento owners and no-one who drives a diesel has an mpg as low as this. You really need to take the Sorento to another dealer for their opinion.
I drive a 2004 XS Auto (though not the H-matic) with 14k on the clock and have fitted a booster to it putting the bhp up to approx 175, and I still regularly manage 29-30mpg. Even with my foot buried in the bulkhead I get around 26-27. !!!
Also there should be no appreciable noise from the engine. I know that it is a diesel but it should be no more noisy than any other diesel. Park up another diesel beside it and see what the difference is. Maybe someone on this forum lives near you can help with this or I'm sure if you try the Yahoo group someone there is bound to be close.
Good luck.
Eugene

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've driven 60k miles in a 806 TD... and The Sorento is pretty much the same level of noise.
I think you need to speak to your dealer, or direct to Kia customer care.. Kia customer care do follow through every complaint!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Ian Malthouse@Oct 12 2004, 06:00 AM
I have an 04 Sorento XE CRDI with 5 speed auto box which has now covered 4500miles since purchase in May. I am generally pleased with it, apart from a noisey diesel engine and in my opinion poor fuel economy (I have been unable to achieve more than 24 mpg under any conditions).
My supplying dealer has informed me that all sorento's are as noisey as mine and the fuel economy is to be expected from a vehicle of this type and size. I find this very dissappointing as the manufacturers brochure quote much higher mpg figures, this coupled with the articles regarding mpg posted in the SORENTO forum that I have just read, has convinced me that there is a serious mechanical fault with the engine, but I am now facing the usual lack of interest from the supplying dealer in sorting the problem out. This has tainted my opinion of what on paper appears to be a very capable vehicle.

Have I just been unfortunate with this vehicle or have any other owners experienced similar problems :(
gudday to all out there my question is I have a K2700 ute my fuel economy is shocking around town or highway use loaded or empty is getting around 15.7l per 100km or 17.8 mpg they tell me it should get 25mpg or 10.5l per 100km has any one else got this type of vechicle and what is your fuel economy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sorento EX diesel since 2003. The fuel comsumption is always between 10 and 11 lit/100Km (10,5 as a mid).

Type of Conduction: city (70%) and motorway -140 km/h (30%).

About the noise, is a diesel. The noise is smaller when the engine is hot.

Sorry for my english.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Oct 11 2004, 11:28 PM
I've driven 60k miles in a 806 TD... and The Sorento is pretty much the same level of noise.
I think you need to speak to your dealer, or direct to Kia customer care.. Kia customer care do follow through every complaint!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Oct 11 2004, 11:28 PM
I think I may have found the reason behind my problem with the fuel economy at last?
KIA have had a batch of suspect 5 speed autoboxes and have just issued a safety recall on the affected vehicles, the recall involves replacing the box and reprograming the electronics for the box and the engine to remap the power transfer, I am told that this will solve my problem (the car is booked in for 14/12 so fingers crossed).
Still not convinced that it will eliminate the noisey bearing sounds, which to me sound like early symptoms of a main bearing failure, it could of course be a shaft in the autobox in which case the new box should get rid of that.

Heres hoping!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just going through these recalls now...
There's also one for the alternator pulley, and ECU harness check... plus any outstanding recalls... brake pipes, cooler pipes, intercooler pipes etc etc :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Nov 20 2004, 05:32 PM
Just going through these recalls now...
There's also one for the alternator pulley, and ECU harness check... plus any outstanding recalls... brake pipes, cooler pipes, intercooler pipes etc etc :rolleyes:
The alternator pulley, ECU harness, and oil cooler pipes you mention are also being taken care of when the box is being changed, so hopefully I will be able to put my mind at rest as to whether I have made the right choice in choosing the Sorento? afterall 19K is a lot of money to have spent on a vehicle that has up to now not been as pleasurable an experience as was expected. Lets hope KIA have now got their act together and sorted the nigglies :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe you have now received the safety recall letter that I have just posted.

I would love to see a bigger version of the Skoda diesel(pump-duce) in a Sorento, quiet-economical-grunty I parted with my year old Octavia with great sadness but had to through towing stability problems

·
Registered
k2700
1 Posts
i have a k2700 and only get 330 km out of a full tank .when i got it i got 450 km and had only done 6000 km now i done 95000 km what is the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts