Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Has any of you noticed a clicking or vibrating sound or a knocking sound on the dashboard area in front of the driver when you turn a corner? I have this on my Picanto although on certain occassions only. Sometimes it makes that sound sometimes not when I turn a corner.

Im quite sure it isnt the steering since I feel no disturbance or unusual vibration on the steering column when turning.

Also, on 4th gear, my manual stick shift clicks forward and backward just a tiny bit but when I accelerate from about 70kph, the stick vibrates and makes a sound.

Please post your suggestions. I've brought the car to the dealer but I would like to hear from the owners themselves.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Hello StrayDog
Its sounds like the same symtoms of a worn wheel bearing, I would get it checked out by the dealer - should be done under warranty.

Kev.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't think it's the wheel bearing cos the sound definitely comes from within the cockpit. i've got mine checked and the tech said it was a faulty steering coupling. still awaiting the part arrival so i can't confirm if the prob is solved... yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by StrayDog@Aug 4 2005, 02:29 AM
Also, on 4th gear, my manual stick shift clicks forward and backward just a tiny bit but when I accelerate from about 70kph, the stick vibrates and makes a sound.
Yeah mine does the same thing, only it isn't audible. If i leave my hand after shifting in to 4th (great position to rest your hand) i can feel the knob going twiching forth every time i push the accelerator pedal from zero position. It feels like the engine strain transfers to the gear knob and at times it looks like it's trying to push it out of the gear.
As for the sound, it could be anything. For a while while driving i kept hearing a very strange knociking noise while driving over small bumps so i thought my suspension wasn't ok. I decided it was time for an expert inspection and just before i was gona go to the service my gf. went to take something out of the trunk while i was sitting in the car. and when she closed the trunk i heard the same noise. I came out and went to the back of the car only to realize that my rear licence plate holder wasn't fixed properly and was bouncing against the car chasy making the horrifing noise. I placed two pieces of rubber betwen the car and the holder and guess what, no more noise. So before running to the shop just inspect your car from every angle and see if there are any lose parts that might be making the noise (like water containers, hood holding rod and stuff like that)

·
Registered
105 Posts
my case isn't as simple as that cos i can replicate the sound... the metal knocking/rattling sound only happens when i turn my steering wheel more than 90º while driving and going over bumps. no sound appears when going straight. and it comes from somewhere inside the ignition key area just below the steering wheel. very very irritating especially when going up multi level carparks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I brought the car to the dealer. They tightened the body bolts and did something on the stick shift. I didnt have the details. Guess what. My complaints stay.

I crawled under the dash and lied down with my head knocking the pedals and half my body outside the car. I poked around inside the dashboard near the steering area but nothing's loose there. In that tight space I could easily miss the culprit, of course. It's definitely not the steering column as I can see the steering metal path. Sometimes, this dashboard noise seem to come from near the left rear view mirror.

I tried to pry loose the boot of the stick shift but the lid wont pop open. I intended to see if there is anything loose inside.

I think I'll just have wait for these things to get worse so the dealer will not find an excuse. It is the 3rd time I complained about the stick shift vibration on 4th gear. With the dashboard noise, its a "now you see, now you dont" kind of nuisance noise and easy for the dealer to dismiss.

By the way, I liked the fact that you can replace the car aircon's air cleaner. I just did and the car smelled really clean. It's good to know that your aircon's evaporator isn't collecting dirt.

Thanks for all your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts