Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Sportage and Kia owners,
Been driving my 2000 Sportage 2WD all over this island and really love the fuel economy since we have the highest gas prices in the U.S.
For the last several months there's been a kind of KSHHHHHHHH sound coming from the rear wheels. When the car is in gear and also in neutral (moving). The sound has been pretty steady and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. (or louder). It's pretty constant no matter how fast I'm going.
I took it to a guy that was working on my son's car, when I dropped him off and asked him his opinion. He lifted the back wheels, put the car in gear and sure enough the noise was there while they were rolling. Because of the sound it was hard to pinpoint only that it was coming from the rear end and that he thought it was bearings. "impossible to tell", of course and would cost big money because the only way to tell for sure was to take it all apart. And then who knows if the parts were available. and no he didn't do that kind of job. I've seen a couple of postings on this forum talking about Kia doesn't stock parts and such and I'd have to buy a new rear end.
Any thoughts on this? How to tell for sure? Past experiences?
Mahalo for your Kokua,
Scott Martin

·
Registered
17 Posts
sounds like same noise problem i have.

i am replacing all the belts and water pump since it has not been replaced since new.

its has 82K on 2001 2WD.

car runs fine other than that, let us know if your able to fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howzit
Thanks for the reply. Took Kia to another guy today that specializes in trans and rear ends. He drove it and told me since it's been doing this a while it didn't sound like bearings. Bearings get worse, louder etc. and the noise is alot different.
This has been a constant KSHHHHHHHHHH. Same noise no matter how fast you go. I've got an appointment to bring Kia into this guy next wednesday evening and he'll have the car all day Thursday to try and see what it is. He was actually quite puzzled and said that it could be just something loose inside rear end and rubbing. I was encouraged by that because a new diff. is very expensive. I'll let you know what we find.
Aloha and Mahalo,
Scott Martin
Kailua, HI

1 - 3 of 3 Posts