Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've got an 03 Sorrento EX.. everything has been great, until yesterday when I started to hear sort of a low-pitched grinding noise coming from the blower motor. The faster the fan speed, the louder the grinding noise becomes.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.. thanks!

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,477 Posts
gaber1956, sorrentofred :00000732: to the forum.
Check the obvious. Possible leaves in the squirrel cage. If nothing is in there pull the fan motor and run it outside the truck. If it is the motor and you are mechanically capable check with companies that sell small 12V. motors. No sense in buying a new complete assembly when you may just need a motor. Same with the fan cage.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Hi! I've got an 03 Sorrento EX.. everything has been great, until yesterday when I started to hear sort of a low-pitched grinding noise coming from the blower motor. The faster the fan speed, the louder the grinding noise becomes.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.. thanks!
Like nstoolman said check for the simple easy things. BTW do you have kids? or a wife that likes to put thigns up on top of dash and leave them there for days? Or do you? Might be more then leaves, maybe a crayon or pen or french fry. I heard of and saw an earring once. As a last thought, do you or many smoke in this vech? Trust me you might think it not worth the effort to reply. But I saw a BMW 735 with auto-clim catch fire. From a driver with a two-three pack a day habit and a overheated(covered in tar and nicotine)ambient temp senor.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the same thing just today

We had the same problem in our 06 Sorento. Turns out a squirrel appears to have started an acorn collection in our blower. Wife had been complaining for a while that the blower had gotten really loud recently. At first I brushed it as my blond wife but after hearing it first had I figured it was either the blower motor or something had a nest. Weird thing though, you would have though you would hear ratteling or something with the acorns but we didn't. Just a loud vibrating humm the faster you turned the fan speed.

Anywho,

Simple fix. Four phillip screws and a unplug/replug.... all done. Should be able to get this in no time w/out removing any other components. BTW located passenger side, below the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
had the same type of thing happen to my 03 Sorento. Seems like the blower motor sucked in the firewall insulation from somewhere and filled it self right up. Before i had a chance to drop the blower motor and clean it out it had stoped working all together in the low and medium speed setting. I have it all cleaned out now and re-installed but the only the high speed setting still works. Does the same relay control low medium and the high setting? if so easy fix if not any one know where to look from here?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
had the same type of thing happen to my 03 Sorento. Seems like the blower motor sucked in the firewall insulation from somewhere and filled it self right up. Before i had a chance to drop the blower motor and clean it out it had stoped working all together in the low and medium speed setting. I have it all cleaned out now and re-installed but the only the high speed setting still works. Does the same relay control low medium and the high setting? if so easy fix if not any one know where to look from here?
Many of them still use a old style coiled wire BLOWER MOTOR RESISTER block in the air flow (to cool it) of the box. Blower jams then resister overheats from load, and no air flow to cool it jsut makes it wonderful for sure to cook it. To make sure KIA did this you will have to get a wiring diag and see if there is one listed or you see one and its screws holding it in and plug onto it in there in the box area someplace. Most times it looks like a Square or rectangle shaped plate/sensor with a wire harness pigtail plug onto it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Shoot, this just started on my 03 Sorento. Turn the fan dial ON and some type of twirling sound as if maybe a bad ball bearings or something. It was not to loud the first few days but now it is really loud. Will try to address this over the weekend.

bryanwasherein06 which item or which side left or right under glove box? (pics attached)

Thank you,

Vadim.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lots
8 Posts
My girlfriend just got an 09. Blower motor still works. Iam assuming it too is located under the passenger side dash. Should be 4 screws right?

Oh and anybody know where I can download a manual for free? I found the link from the KiaTech site and I can't register. It keeps telling me to sign/check the agreement. Problem is it never pops up...just a blank page. I am on mac computers and have tried firefox and safari...both don't work.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
See my earlier post, 2nd picture - that is the blower, 3 screws and it slides right out. Mine had a dry leave in it and caused the noise, removed the leave and no more issues. Just remember I have a 2003 not 2009 but I think the blower would be in the same location under the passenger glove box on the right side (closer to the passenger door).

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Turns out a squirrel appears to have started an acorn collection in our blower.
Well what do you expect? It's not called a squirrel cage blower for nothing!

At first I brushed it as my blond wife
My wife is blonde too, but I'm 6'2", she is only about inch shorter than me, solidly built, works out 5 days a week, and- has a wickedly sarcastic sense of humor. I try to avoid comments like that in case they impinge adversely on my health.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts