Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, My wife has a 2007 Sedona LX with 75,000 Miles, recently something started happening near the gas pedal but coming from behind the firewall.

It's a sound very similar to what you hear when you hit those spring door stop that used to be installed to avoid the door knob to crash against the walls.

It only happens when the car has rest for a while and starts moving around 10 or 20 mph and only happens once.

When it happens you can also feel it in the gas pedal.

Does any body has an idea what it could be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently purchased a used 2007 sedona and am experiencing the exact same thing, did you ever resolve this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently purchased a used 2007 sedona and am experiencing the exact same thing, did you ever resolve this?
Hi, not yet.
This is not causing any problem that I could detect and I hope it stays that way.

Regards.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
The throttle is electronic "fly by wire", meaning there is no physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle.
On the gas pedal is a potentiometer, it sends a electric signal to a matching one on the throttle, that signal tells the throttle how much to open/close.
They both have springs inside them, I am betting you are hearing the one inside the passenger cabin.
Replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Spike555, I'll check on that, but it doesn't seems to be associated with the throttle. It only happens once and is when the car starts moving after resting for at least 5 minutes and you start to accelerate. For example, I’m parked at a supermarket and the car rested the time that took me to buy a couple of thing in there, then I start the car and move it slowly through the parking lot, nothing so far, then I stop before getting the main street and start to accelerate normally while joining the traffic in the street, this is the moment I feel this spring like sound and the very soft hit in the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Ok, try this in the morning when you know it will make the noise.
Dont start the engine, just press the gas pedal like you were driving, does it make the noise?
The next time you know it will do it turn the key to the "II" position but again do not start the engine, again press the gas pedal like you were driving.
Does it still make the noise either of those times?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi everybody, My wife has a 2007 Sedona LX with 75,000 Miles, recently something started happening near the gas pedal but coming from behind the firewall.

It's a sound very similar to what you hear when you hit those spring door stop that used to be installed to avoid the door knob to crash against the walls.

It only happens when the car has rest for a while and starts moving around 10 or 20 mph and only happens once.

When it happens you can also feel it in the gas pedal.

Does any body has an idea what it could be?

Thanks.

Don't know about the "spring noise"

2007, 75,000 miles...

Q: Have the SUB-FRAME Cradle bushings been replaced?

(Subframe moving might cause other noises...)

To test, IIRC find a vacant parking lot.. go around 15 mpg while turning and hit the brakes. If bushings are bad you should hear /feel a clunking noise as sub-frame moves.

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
Likely bad rear engine mount, CV axle, or even your transmission. When is your last time service your transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
found this, seems like same problem

Gas Pedal Vibration

Here is the tech bulletin portion of it:
customers may notice a buzz noise or feel a vibration in the floor or throttle pedal at speeds of approximately 16 km/h (10 mph). It may also be noticed during a 1-2 upshift.

This buzz or vibration may be a result of the supplemental brake assist (SBA) diagnostic test. (The SBA is mounted on the brake vacuum booster and creates vacuum for the brake booster in case of a vacuum loss or low vacuum to the brake booster.) The test occurs at 16 km/h (10 mph) after initial engine start-up. Normally, the test will not run again until the next engine start-up. Customers may believe that this is a transmission related noise as the 16 km/h (10 mph) diagnostic test may be very close to the 1-2 upshift speed under certain driving conditions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, try this in the morning when you know it will make the noise.
Dont start the engine, just press the gas pedal like you were driving, does it make the noise?
The next time you know it will do it turn the key to the "II" position but again do not start the engine, again press the gas pedal like you were driving.
Does it still make the noise either of those times?
Hi Spike, I tested and it didn't make the noise at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gas Pedal Vibration

customers may notice a buzz noise or feel a vibration in the floor or throttle pedal at speeds of approximately 16 km/h (10 mph). It may also be noticed during a 1-2 upshift.

This buzz or vibration may be a result of the supplemental brake assist (SBA) diagnostic test. (The SBA is mounted on the brake vacuum booster and creates vacuum for the brake booster in case of a vacuum loss or low vacuum to the brake booster.) The test occurs at 16 km/h (10 mph) after initial engine start-up. Normally, the test will not run again until the next engine start-up. Customers may believe that this is a transmission related noise as the 16 km/h (10 mph) diagnostic test may be very close to the 1-2 upshift speed under certain driving conditions.
This one really match my problem, thanks, I'll investigate thoroughly on it.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the same problem. I posted awhile back
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-2006/76572-sedona-2007-30km-h-40-km.html#post410095

Originally i felt it in the pedal when i slowly accelerate.
Mine was at the 30km mark. It only happens once.

After a few months, you don't feel it in the pedal as much and you start to hear it around the same accelerated speed (mine was at 30km)

It happens more in the cold weather.
Remember it is only during slow acceleration so if you go fast around your trigger speed, you won't feel or hear it.

I did a transmission fluid changes but nothing.
I figured there must be some metal filings and when the engine is cold the filings fall to the bottom and during slow acceleration it runs thru the gears again.

Like the post i had, somebody suggested torque converter lockup shudder.
Google it up and this seems to be the problem.

I went to the dealer but he was an ass. Bad vibe and i think we both will need to get the transmission repaired.

Let me know if you come to the same conclusion. I tried to go to the dealer to get a software update cause that was one of the bulletins i googled around and found.
But the dealer was an ass and i couldn't get it done.

Before i can only hear it the first time you drive it that day. Now i can hear it more during the same day. It is getting worse. I did the fluid change twice... no change in noise.

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Phantom,the problem in my wife's Sedona doesn't match what you described but what's on this link Gas Pedal Vibration, since wvvdub replied with it I've been looking for information on the SBA for the Sedona but haven't found anything so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vibrating Gas Pedal on Acceleration

Gas Pedal Vibration

I apologize for bringing back an old discussion but my wife's 2007 Sedona now has the "short vibration in the gas pedal on acceleration" problem. Can anyone confirm - was it the SBA? Is it a serious problem requiring immediate repair?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I apologize for bringing back an old discussion but my wife's 2007 Sedona now has the "short vibration in the gas pedal on acceleration" problem. Can anyone confirm - was it the SBA? Is it a serious problem requiring immediate repair?
1: How many miles on the 2007 Sedona?
2: Has it every been wrecked /hit?
3: Had the car for a while, or recently purchased?
(Problematic cars get sold off, via a private sale seller will usually be honest about problems. (Fearing some nut job may set their house on fire) On cars traded into DEALER, and or cars that come from a "auction" problems are rarely disclosed. The mentally of persons trading into a dealer on a "problematic car" being, I can trade this turkey off, good riddance and Hey the dealers going to screw me, so I don't feel bad about do the same to him)

4: I'm all for hearing about a solution to this problem as I'm of the mindset we need a DATABASE of fixes,(People posting info instead of posting, then never doing a follow-up) but the link that you referenced is for a GM product.

5: Could be subframe bushings, or any number of things. (I posted about that above, told how to check subframe bushings)

6: So far as the gas pedal itself it is electronically controlled, and noises, vib could be coming from the pedal itself: This thread might give you some ideas http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-2006/80251-tps-sensor-symptoms-tps-failure-cel.html

PS: If you do find info, and or fix the car please repost the fix here /posts details of the fix!

Don't be a "drive by poster", me-me, me type..

What "details" you may ask?
Details you'd like to be looking at right now!

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
296 Posts
Don't know about the "spring noise"

2007, 75,000 miles...

Q: Have the SUB-FRAME Cradle bushings been replaced?

(Subframe moving might cause other noises...)

To test, IIRC find a vacant parking lot.. go around 15 mpg while turning and hit the brakes. If bushings are bad you should hear /feel a clunking noise as sub-frame moves.

How does one do that? :rolleyes:

What's subframe CRADLE?

·
Registered
263 Posts
How does one do that? :rolleyes:
You drive car to a empty parking lot. To test, (subframe bushings) IIRC find a vacant parking lot.. go around 15 mpg while turning and hit the brakes. If bushings are bad you should hear /feel a clunking noise as sub-frame moves.

To test engine /transmission mounts - while car is stationary have a trustworthy assistant appliy parking brake, and brakes. Start car. Run car thru the gears from Drive, Park, Reverse while holding brakes at approx 1500-200rpm and visually see if engine trans is moving excessively.

What's subframe CRADLE?
As most cars these days:
The 2nd Generation Sedona /Carnival, Hyundai Entourage are of unibody construction. (Light gauge steel sheet pressed into shape and then welded together.)

To isolate vibrations produced by Engine, Trans, Suspension (And to allow for the complete engine package to be installed quickly on the assembly line) the engine, transmission, lower suspension components aren't mounted directly to the unibody.
They are instead bolted via rubberized and or fluid filled bushings (Aka Engine/ Transmission mounts) to a "subframe", aka "Craddle" that is comprised of several sections of heavy gauge metal that is welded into one piece that engine, transmission, lower suspension control arms are mounted.

Subframe / Craddle is mounted to the unibody via rubberized bushings. As happens with engine/ trans mounts over time subframe/craddle mounts go bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts

This happens on my Entourage as well. I think I figured it out. You know how on some vehicles, the doors will lock when you hit a certain speed? I think that since the Sedona/ Entourage is able to have this feature (although not technically an option) this noise is a result of whatever mechanism would trigger the doors to lock at 18/20 mph.

I read a thread about re-programming the Body Module? (don't quote me on that name) b/c the same module is used in other Kia / Hyundai that come with the auto lock feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Per questions above, we have been the sole owners of this van since we bought it new in 2007. Its got 59K miles on it now. Our local Kia service department said not to be concerned about the noise so we let it go. It still makes the sound once in a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts