Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs,gents
I have a 2005 2.5 Diesel with 4 wheel drive (Auto / Low ) i think this called TOD.
In 2007 i had a noise from behind and KIA service just changed my transmission oil and the problem solved.
In 2010 i lost my 4 wheel possibility and then the KIA service also changed transfer oil and some other things inside like pump oil,motor... and the problem was solved.
Now 2013 i am not in Greece but i am in Belgium.Before one week i had 130000Km service and also i asked to fix a problem with a noise from the front and wheel trempling.KIA service changed the whole front right bearing with the knuckle (667 euro) and the service (486) total 1153.
After one week i had the symptom:
When i start and full turn left the wheel there was a noise from the frotn left like a metalic noise in a small frequency(click-click-click...).
I went back to KIA service assuming that they didnt fix well the bearing and they said that there is a possibility of failure front differential (cost 1990 euros) or the whole transfer (cost 4900 euros).
Then i told them that i need to think about it...
They put out the front shaft propeller and they said that i can now drive safe to home.
I would like to mention that i dont have the noise any more since i remove the front shaft propeller.I spoke with KIA in Greece and said:change the oil in the transmission and check how it goes.
May i ask is it a problem to continue drive my car without the front shaft propeller since i dont care for 4 wheel drive since i drive very smoothly with my 17month baby on board.
Please is there any someone who can give me any advice since you can understand my dissapointment.I can not afford much more money for a almost ten years car

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
401 Posts
The Clicking sound you get from turning full circle is due to worn out CV Joints, that need replacing.

The amount of money you paid should have covered it. Anyway it seems they didn't change it and when you got the noise, they simply removed the shafts, which is connected to the CV Joint that rotated the front wheels. The front wheels is now running freely, hence no noise.

There no danger in driving without the front shafts, but your car is now a rear wheel drive and not a 4x4.

I hope they removed both left and right shafts, not just one ?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
+1 on Aref_Bilal's reply - sounds like a worn/damaged CV axle, which they removed..

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,918 Posts
I hope they removed both left and right shafts, not just one ?
I think you will find they removed the prop-shaft between the transfer case and the front diff. You may well be correct about a bad CV joint, but the one in the prop-shaft if that is the type of shaft installed (They vary - I have uj at each end). But, it could be something else since now the drive load has been removed and appears ok. The condition of the removed shaft should be easy enough to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the CV joints.Something else?

thank you very much for your quick response.i have a date on 21th May and i am going to tell then to check the CV joints.
Aref i have only one propeller shaft (as Gee6 describes) which connects the transfer case with the front differential, now in my garage.As i told you i dont have now the noise and the engineer (outside of KIA service) told me that he is going to put again the propeller shaft to check again the status and then i told him to change the transmission oil (Dextron III) and see how it goes.
Do you have any other recommendation to what else might is the problem?I am looking forward your answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question?

May i ask:
If the problem is the front CV joints even though i removed the front shaft propeller the noise should continue. Correct?
Because as i told you i dont have any noise now with the propeller shaft removed.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sotirios, Not sure I can see how changing transmission fluid is going to influence anything. imo a waste of money, unless you mean transfer case fluid? In latter case get Kia TOD oil from dealer and a magnetic drain plug if not already fitted. A refurbished transfer case can be obtained in UK for about £700. IF that is the problem (again doubt as it was rebuilt in 2010??) I would seriously look locally for refurb or rebuild rather than pay the asking price. Likewise for front diff. (Not sure if you are staying in Belgium or heading back to Greece. May be worth a trip across the Channel if you have time!)

Agree if problem is front wheel CV, I would still expect to hear it, BUT maybe at this point only bad enough to cause a problem when driven by transfer case. without drive (freewheel) noise might dissappear.

Condsider potential issues causing unnecessary torque transfer to front (aggravating possible transfer case problems and others):

Are your tyres of same make/model/size? Check rolling circumference. There are limits for difference front-rear. Most common cause of TOD T/C 'malfunction'.
Faulty speed sensor in transfer case (front/rear propshafts) can do same.

Anyway, you can certainly drive safely with front prop removed (I have seen a couple actually sold without it as they had undisclosed problems).

I would still favour really checking condition of prop-shaft before it is ever re-installed. Better to drive without than have it fail. They suffer badly from lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If the problem is the front CV joints even though I removed the front shaft propeller the noise should continue. Correct? Because as I told you I don't have any noise now with the propeller shaft removed.
CV joints transfer motive power from the shafts to the wheels. With the shafts removed, most of the CV joints will have gone as well; just the outer "cage" part will remain.

CV joints have an inner and outer section which is connected by (usually) 5 ball bearings which move in lubricated slots. Conventional "Universal" joints do not provide smooth power transfer except when almost straight (as they are in the propellor shaft of a RWD car).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KIA dealer new estimation

thank you all for your help.
Gee6 yes i mean transfer oil change and my tires are the same and ok
i had a call from Belgium KIA dealer who made another estimation "without checking my car" and he said that the problem should be the driveshaft and he needs 2300euro to replace it.If this eqiupment is the front shaft propeller i have in my garage i would like to say that i prefer 2 wheel drive from behind and thats it.
Gee6 thanks again for your help.May i ask your last opinion about my problem?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Any chance to post a picture of shaft that was removed? As I think I mentioned there are different types. Kia on-line dealer is quoting £716 for a new 2005 diesel version (not installed of course) but not sure if TOD or EST version.

At E2300 'on a guess' I would stay as you are for now and see if anything develops. (And if possible get someone who knows, to check shaft joint condition) iirc your shaft should have a universal joint at one end and cv joint at other. UJ joints notorious for lack of lube by dealers and fail, but these can be replaced. CV joint is 'none servicable' and is covered by rubber gaiter. (Condition of gaiter?)

From other discussions CV end should have 6 bolts and fits to front diff. A bad CV could sound like noise is coming from front left wheel as diff is offset to that side.

(My vehicle is later model and has 4 bolt fixing UJ at each end, so not interchangeable.)

By the way, on your model it is possible to eliminate Transfer case problems from the equation by removing Fuse 13 in drivers footwell (labled 'TCCS') which turns off torque transfer electrics .... rather like removing the shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DSC04899.jpg

DSC04900.jpg

DSC04901.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

DSC04903.jpg

gee6 kindly find attached the photos of my removed front shaft propeller.And yes is in one end 6 bolts CV and the other end UJ.The MODEL:BLA 2.5 4x4 F/T P PART No:491003E150 and LOT No:4Y10H from KASCO.
For my poor experience it looks fine.What do you think?:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts