Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 04 rio about 2 mths ago. Since then I have tried driving till the empty gas light would appear, but it hasn't. Is it possible I don't have this light? This is the base automatic model. Has ac and cd, but nothing else. Not even tilt for the steering.

Could the light be defective
Or need a fuse
Replacement? Ive gotten scared cause I notice when
It gets very low, accelerating gets bad. I haven't driven to empty. Should I see the light when I start the car or turn the key? Cause I don't

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
On my 04 Rio the light didn't come on till you were right on empty. Anything above E and no light. But you could have a bad light. The easiest "solution" to this fear is to fill up the tank.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Only thing I can contribute is that our Cerato warning light comes on a milliwhisker above the E mark, and there's about 6 litres left at that point. That's about standard for most cars.

It's not a good plan to actually run out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 04 Rio the light didn't come on till you were right on empty. Anything above E and no light. But you could have a bad light. The easiest "solution" to this fear is to fill up the tank.
lol, i dont have a fear regularily..i just had it when i was trying to get the light to come on. eventually, i got too scared waiting for it to come on and just filled up.

thanks for the replies...

does anyone's light come on momentarily when they turn the key? cause mines doesn't. if it's suppose to, then for sure something is wrong with the bulb/fuse (i tried checking the fuses inside interior, and i couldn't tell which was which - anyone know where this fuse is?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Mine doesn't turn on when you turn on the key either. 10 amp meter fuse but if your gauge works the fuse is fine.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Only thing I can contribute is that our Cerato warning light comes on a milliwhisker above the E mark, and there's about 6 litres left at that point. That's about standard for most cars.

It's not a good plan to actually run out.
Technically yes, its not good to let it actually run out. But it's even worse to let it constantly have low fuel in the tank to where your waiting on the light to come on. The fuel in the tank keeps your pump cool, constant low fuel will cause your pump to go out much sooner than it should.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Some drivers worry about this more than others. One of our cars has a warning light, but we've never seen it come on; it's my son's car and he always fills at ¼ Full. Another car lights up between E and ¼ Full (8 litres remaining), so that's when we fill up. A couple of cars (including the Cerato) light up at a puffteenth of a milliwhisker above E and I checked it as part of the initial fuel economy runs. - I was pretty confident about the accuracy of the gauge near the lower end, and had spare fuel just in case. Never seen the warning since on these cars, but it's nice to know there's about 6 litres remaining if it does come on.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
A couple of cars (including the Cerato) light up at a puffteenth of a milliwhisker above E and I checked it as part of the initial fuel economy runs. Never seen the warning since on these cars, but it's nice to know there's about 6 litres remaining if it does come on.
LOL I gotta remember that one...puffteenth of a milliwhisker..... LOL

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
LOL I gotta remember that one...puffteenth of a milliwhisker..... LOL
Yes, it's a good one. I first heard it used by a friend (who was an engineering technologist) in reference to small alterations to the "bedding" of a target rifle. Unfortunately, Trevor is no longer with us, but the unit of sub-molecular adjustment remains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts