Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sorento SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible the KIA Sorento SX has no tow hooks? You know - the thing a tow truck would hook up to if you need to be towed. The service department at our dealership doesn't seem to know and we can't see one.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
Check section 6 of your manual, in the What to do in an emergency / Towing section, specifically, "Removable towing hook (if equipped)".

I'm pretty sure your SX will have one, as does my SXL. If not, or it gets misplaced, you can get one from Kia. Look in the foam that holds your jack. The slot for it is closer to the rear of the car in that foam block.

Check the right side of your rear bumper, not far from where the horizontal red lens stops. The little rectangular plastic panel (maybe 2" wide and 1-3/4" tall?) that covers the hole where the hook threads in should pop loose without too much trouble. It has a little 'down arrow' molded into the bottom of it. That's where you press.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sorento SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check section 6 of your manual, in the What to do in an emergency / Towing section, specifically, "Removable towing hook (if equipped)".

I'm pretty sure your SX will have one, as does my SXL. If not, or it gets misplaced, you can get one from Kia. Look in the foam that holds your jack. The slot for it is closer to the rear of the car in that foam block.

Check the right side of your rear bumper, not far from where the horizontal red lens stops. The little rectangular plastic panel (maybe 2" wide and 1-3/4" tall?) that covers the hole where the hook threads in should pop loose without too much trouble. It has a little 'down arrow' molded into the bottom of it. That's where you press.
Thanks - we'll look for it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 Lxv6 doesn't have one. I don't know why there is no tow hook or recovery point in both front and rear of the car.. Like kia want us to spend additional trailer hitch where we can hook if get stuck.. most car have a hole or slot in front and rear bumper like my friend's 2016, I wonder why my 2018 doesn't have one. If I knew it doesn't have one I won't get a sorento. Useless if you get stuck, like last winter someone stuck in the snow, I am about to help but could not find a recovery point where I can hook in my car so I was not able to help..vice versa if it happens to me, I will have to call towing company and wait.....

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
Double check your rear bumper area for the little rectangular 'cover', Jaycob.
Even if the hook (a giant eye bolt, actually) is missing, the cover should still be there with the threaded portion behind it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
You won't find tow hooks on Cross over type SUV. Heavier class 4x4 and trucks pretty much only. These don't have frames as most of the others do. Install a CLASS III tow hitch which would withstand being pulled from or you pulling something or someone. You won't tear your fenders/bumpers off. Those loops under are purely for tie down point for the auto trailers used to transport these and not be pulled by.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
316 Posts
Double check your rear bumper area for the little rectangular 'cover', Jaycob.
Even if the hook (a giant eye bolt, actually) is missing, the cover should still be there with the threaded portion behind it.
Doesn't exist on a 2018 V6 LX or least doesn't on mine.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
You won't find tow hooks on Cross over type SUV.
Interesting. I actually had to use mine on my Santa Fe (that I had just before this Sorento).
I didn't spot that one, but it looks like this >> 091470X000

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, here's the little door on mine, and another shot of it opened up. Way back in the bumper is the threaded portion where the hook screws in.
What trim levels included this, I don't know, but it's on my SXL. And yeah, it needs a bath. We had a little snow here.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
285 Posts
You won't find tow hooks on Cross over type SUV. Heavier class 4x4 and trucks pretty much only. These don't have frames as most of the others do. Install a CLASS III tow hitch which would withstand being pulled from or you pulling something or someone. You won't tear your fenders/bumpers off. Those loops under are purely for tie down point for the auto trailers used to transport these and not be pulled by.
They are on my unibody 2013 Acura TL...little removeable squares front and back

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
316 Posts
Don't know about Kia because they are made here but possibly exported overseas from the US but I know that those hooks on Mazda aren't specifically for towing, they are tie down points for ship transport. You've got to secure cars someway for an ocean voyage, don't want to put undue stress on any suspension pieces so they created these "hard points" for expressly that purpose. Now, everyone then uses them as a tow/retrieval point as well and they seem to function just fine as such but a lot of tow jockeys will still just hook the chains to the a-arms and start pulling it up onto the flat bed and never even look for these points. We used them extensively on our track cars so I know they are durable and fitted into the unibody in such a way as to prevent tweaking the body.

Don't know why Kia would put them on some trim levels and not others since the area that it's threaded into is built in structurally - not something you would want to do or not do depending upon trim. It's probably there on every trim, just not accessible except on higher end ones.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
I can't believe we're still having a discussion about the utility of the hook. Let's at least put that part to rest.

First, this can't be used properly for a tie down point. The geometry is all wrong. Further, it would need to be there for all trim levels.

Second, Hyundai and Kia even make its purpose clear in their OWNER MANUALS. See "Removable towing hook (if equipped)" in any Santa Fe or Sorento (and many other models) manual -- up through 2018.

Like you, though, I'm baffled as to why only some trim levels have them (hence, the "if equipped"). The utility of the hook would apply across the board. Further, it appears they have dropped that option for 2019. There's no mention of it in the 2019 manuals. Can an owner of a 2019 SXL, for example, confirm absence/presence of the little cover in the bumper?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX
102 Posts
I can't believe we're still having a discussion about the utility of the hook. Let's at least put that part to rest.

First, this can't be used properly for a tie down point. The geometry is all wrong. Further, it would need to be there for all trim levels.

Second, Hyundai and Kia even make its purpose clear in their OWNER MANUALS. See "Removable towing hook (if equipped)" in any Santa Fe or Sorento (and many other models) manual -- up through 2018.

Like you, though, I'm baffled as to why only some trim levels have them (hence, the "if equipped"). The utility of the hook would apply across the board. Further, it appears they have dropped that option for 2019. There's no mention of it in the 2019 manuals. Can an owner of a 2019 SXL, for example, confirm absence/presence of the little cover in the bumper?

View attachment 112803
They are not on my 2019 EX. Did have the pull out plug on the back of my 2014 EX. The toe eye was not included in the tool kit on the 2014 (original owner). There are oval slots on the bottom of the chassis rails (with plastic plugs) behind the front wheels. A tow operator should have chains with a "T" hook which will fit in the slots.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
718 Posts
Also missing on the 2019 SX model

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
898 Posts
Definitely looks like they dropped this feature for 2019, but was available through 2018. Strange.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts