Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2019 Niro PHEV Ex Premium
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer had apparently been far too optimistic in believing my Green/Sage X-Line Prestige would arrive by the end of the year. While I was pretty comfortable with my purchase agreement for the tax credit if it arrived this year, I'm not sold on risking it for my 2023 taxes for reasons that probably don't make that much sense. Add to that increasing interest rates and decreasing trade values and I just can't see it making financial sense.
My dealer said that, apparently, my order was accepted by Kia some time ago and then just stalled out in that status. They reached out to Kia and have not heard anything.
One fewer person competing for the Sportage PHEV, at least. I'm bummed, though. I was excited for it. Guess I'll keep my Niro PHEV a while longer.

· Registered
2023 Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
95 Posts
Sorry my order was in similar situation, After doing some research and phone calls I found that only the east and west coast are getting the only PHEVs. Mine in Texas got picked up and then dropped back out. The district manager said none for this district for now at least. I cancelled my local orders and got deposits back. I'm not giving up though, I placed an order in Arizona (Calif district) for MSRP. It makes no financial sense, but truthfully a new car never really does. It's a desire that I want it and not a need; but that's just me.

· Registered
823 Posts
My dealer had apparently been far too optimistic in believing my Green/Sage X-Line Prestige would arrive by the end of the year. While I was pretty comfortable with my purchase agreement for the tax credit if it arrived this year, I'm not sold on risking it for my 2023 taxes for reasons that probably don't make that much sense. Add to that increasing interest rates and decreasing trade values and I just can't see it making financial sense.
My dealer said that, apparently, my order was accepted by Kia some time ago and then just stalled out in that status. They reached out to Kia and have not heard anything.
One fewer person competing for the Sportage PHEV, at least. I'm bummed, though. I was excited for it. Guess I'll keep my Niro PHEV a while longer.
On a positive note, the new Niro looks pretty cool. Maybe look into that one?

· Registered
Looking at getting 2023 Sportage PHEV
141 Posts
Sorry my order was in similar situation, After doing some research and phone calls I found that only the east and west coast are getting the only PHEVs. Mine in Texas got picked up and then dropped back out. The district manager said none for this district for now at least. I cancelled my local orders and got deposits back. I'm not giving up though, I placed an order in Arizona (Calif district) for MSRP. It makes no financial sense, but truthfully a new car never really does. It's a desire that I want it and not a need; but that's just me.
Yikes. I should reach out to my Texas dealer about my order too. What dealer did you place order with in Arizona?

I wish Kia would just say that they don't sell PHEVs to Texas like Hyundai if they're not going to provide any vehicles to the district. Then at least we won't be limbo.

Though like you said, Sportage PHEV doesn't make sense financially, especially without the tax incentives.

Maybe my wife and I will go test drive a 2023 Ford Escape if the Sportage is still not here in a few months. We test drove a 2022 and found the interior lacking compared to the Sportage, but the 2023s are refreshed both inside and out. The Escape PHEV should still qualify for some of the tax rebate too.

· Registered
95 Posts
Wow I haven't seen the Escape since the update. Big improvement inside and outside styling... I hated the old look. When is the Escape going to be available? Are you sure able the tax rebate (where's it getting built)?. I built up an escape to be comparable to prestige (AWD not an option though). Let me know what your Texas dealer says about your Sportage. Arizona taxes are a couple points higher than we are so I'm going to have it shipped to me.

· Registered
141 Posts
Wow I haven't seen the Escape since the update. Big improvement inside and outside styling... I hated the old look. When is the Escape going to be available? Are you sure able the tax rebate (where's it getting built)?. I built up an escape to be comparable to prestige (AWD not an option though). Let me know what your Texas dealer says about your Sportage. Arizona taxes are a couple points higher than we are so I'm going to have it shipped to me.
Dealerships should be taking orders for the Escapes now. But I don't know how long the lead time would be.

Escapes are built in Kentucky. So tax rebate qualification would depend on where the battery is assembled and where the critical minerals are sourced. I don't know the answer to that for sure. Hopefully there will be better guidance from either Ford or the IRS on how much it qualifies.

· Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige
6 Posts
Dealerships should be taking orders for the Escapes now. But I don't know how long the lead time would be.

Escapes are built in Kentucky. So tax rebate qualification would depend on where the battery is assembled and where the critical minerals are sourced. I don't know the answer to that for sure. Hopefully there will be better guidance from either Ford or the IRS on how much it qualifies.
I know there's a new redesign coming, but from what I've read, the current 2022 MY still qualifies for the $6,800-ish tax credit and I believe the MSRP is lower than the new redesign, so buying one now and giving up the new design and bigger screen inside might net a pretty good deal in comparison.

· Registered
141 Posts
I know there's a new redesign coming, but from what I've read, the current 2022 MY still qualifies for the $6,800-ish tax credit and I believe the MSRP is lower than the new redesign, so buying one now and giving up the new design and bigger screen inside might net a pretty good deal in comparison.
That's true. Unfortunately the 2022 Escape's exterior is not my cup of tea. I bet you can get a great deal on a 2022 if you can find one on the dealer lot though. No dealer is going to want to sit on 2022 inventory with a greatly refreshed 2023 on the way.

· Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige
6 Posts
That's true. Unfortunately the 2022 Escape's exterior is not my cup of tea. I bet you can get a great deal on a 2022 if you can find one on the dealer lot though. No dealer is going to want to sit on 2022 inventory with a greatly refreshed 2023 on the way.
Yeah, I've been watching some Escape PHEVs on lots around me and a dealer that already advertised $500 off MSRP just cut another $500 off. My parents were looking, but ended up with the new Niro PHEV. Slightly more expensive, but similar tech and function to my Sportage Hybrid, so it was a more comfortable choice for them.

· Registered
shopping for a 2023 Sportage Hybrid EX
16 Posts
Sorry my friend. I am following the Rav4 Hybrid forums too, and I haven't seen a delivery bragged about since November. There seems to be a lithium shortage and production seems to have stopped on several hybrid models across the industry. Bad news.

· Registered
141 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm going to tap out as well. Placed an order for a PHEV X-line in July 2022 and still has no news on when it would arrive.

We went and test drove an Escape PHEV at a local dealership and it was way better than the ICE SE trim we test drove earlier. The leather seats and electric drivetrain made the vehicle feel so much nicer. We couldn't reach an agreeable price at that dealership, but my wife and I decided that the Escape PHEV was good enough if I can find one at a good price price.

Eventually I found a 2022 Escape PHEV SEL trim that's decently loaded (adaptive cruise with stop and go, pano roof, leather seats with memory, and premium sound). MSRP is $44k, agreed to $41k with zero dealer add on and 36 months 0% APR. Ford is trying hard to clear out these 2022s to make room for the refreshed 2023s. The Escape also qualifies for $6,843 in tax rebate.

I still prefer the exterior styling and interior of the Sportage, but I couldn't justify the additional $7k the Sportage PHEV X-line would cost. Luckily I live in Texas so the lack of AWD on the Escape is not a big deal.

Something else that swayed me heavily is that remote start, lock and unlock, and locate vehicle is free forever on the Ford, but Kia Connect Plus would cost $150/year after the one year trial.

· Registered
'23 Sportage HEV SX Prestige
130 Posts
I was at 2 Kia dealerships this week. Salesman at both were not happy with the lack of new cars to sell.
Its all about volume. Don't go in person, it takes too long and subjects you to possible mind-games. Just call, or better yet, just submit an inquiry via their web sites. Can ping 50 dealers in a couple 1/2 days of effort. Easy. You will find a car much quicker that way. Assuming you have 50 dealers within a reasonable drive/flight/truck shipment...

· Registered
141 Posts
@rocketJeff Have you done comparisons on the prestige versus Escape PHEV fully loaded. Besides the front wheel drive, what are the other major differences?
Comparing the 2022 Escape Titanium with all of the options to the 2023 Kia Sportage XLine Prestige

Pros of the Sportage
  • More power 261 hp vs 225hp.
  • Heated Windshield
  • Ventilated seats
  • Handle to drop flatten the backseat from the trunk
  • Touchless liftgate opening (2022 Escapes had them all deleted due to parts shortage)
  • AWD
  • Better interior plastic feel, coat hooks in the back of the seat
  • Bigger Infotainment screen
  • 360 camera
  • Longer warranty
  • Move vehicle with keyfob
  • Higher maximum charge rate on level 2 charging, 7kw vs 3.3kw.

Pros of the 2022 Escape Titanium
  • More efficient, 37miles of EV range vs 34. EPA 40mpg mixed vs 38mpg
  • Has spare tire
  • Qualifies for tax rebate (for now)
  • Sliding backseat that allows for either more backseat leg room or more cargo space
  • Has cabin resistance heater, so the car can stay in EV more often
  • More proven engine and transmission system (planetary gear eCVT similar to Rav4 Prime)
  • Has HUD (though not projected on the windshield).
  • Real leather seats instead of faux leather
  • Capable of automatic parking and exit parking spot
  • More real buttons for climate and audio control
  • Keypad on the drivers side door to enter w/o a key
  • Remote start and stop without a subscription
  • Comes with stock auto dimming rearview mirror and garage door opener

Based on what's released so far, here what's different on the 2023 Escape
  • Much bigger infotainment that's Sync 4. Capable of wireless carplay and AA. Suppose to be really good
  • Fewer hard buttons and knobs. More functions integrated into the screen.
  • EDIT: 360 Camera on the 2023
  • tax rebate status is iffy. May be $0, $3750, or $7500. No one knows for now.
I think the biggest pro for the Sportage are the styling, ventilated seats, and AWD.

· Registered
Ordered 2023 Sportage HEV SX Prestige
152 Posts
Comparing the 2022 Escape Titanium with all of the options to the 2023 Kia Sportage XLine Prestige
I would have included
  • 5-year / 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper
  • 10-year / 100,000-mile powertrain
vs
  • 3-year / 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper
  • 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain

· Registered
45 Posts
One of the other items of note is that Ford appears to be producing extremely limit numbers of the Titanium trim, if any. I have only come across the SEL trim in the PHEV. Edit - I guess this is just in my region.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts