Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sephia, 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, 97 Civic.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lights around the speedo work cel all that but not the speedo, i got too curious, the dimmer switch was not plugged in, with a wire looped, and me being an idiot not knowing about electronics and all that, plugged it in and my speedo lights went bye bye, wich sucks cause i need to see that in the dark:confused: i checked all the fuses, none were blown, it didnt say there was a fuse for the dash lights in the cover, but my question is, do i need to replace the bulbs in my dash, or am i just screwed, i guess the dimmer switch was faulty, please reply asap. thanks.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Matt,

I would check all lamps in the speedometer cluster assembly,
The trans selector lamp, (if an auto trans)
Using the continuity test function of a multimeter,

And test all fuses in the passenger cabin fuse box and engine compartment fuse box for continuity using a multimeter,

and would plan on a replacement dimmer switch, if that was the component affected.

*This is not a fun job to do, especially pulling the speedo cluster, but if you shorted at the dimmer switch, all lamps really need to be checked..

==
I would signup at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, there you can access / view the ETM schematics for your Sephia,

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
If the Sephia is anything like an 06 Spectra then the right rear tail light fuse is blown.
I know KIA uses the same circuit layout on a few of their cars. No one would think about a tail light fuse for the dash lights but KIA did! I would also replace the dimmer circuit and remove the wire bridge. There is a current post on the KIA Sportage (1997 ??) that links to pictures of the burnt dimmer that you might want to read.
Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If the Sephia is anything like an 06 Spectra then the right rear tail light fuse is blown.
I know KIA uses the same circuit layout on a few of their cars. No one would think about a tail light fuse for the dash lights but KIA did! I would also replace the dimmer circuit and remove the wire bridge. There is a current post on the KIA Sportage (1997 ??) that links to pictures of the burnt dimmer that you might want to read.
Dave
+1 on Dave's advice - check this before pulling the speedo cluster..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you very much for the replies, i have searched and found some of the newer kia's have this type of problem, but my tail lights work, checked everything else, brake lights, headlights, hazards, blinkers and in dash clock work, check engine light and all of the other ones work when i turn the key over, just the speedo and gauges, and i noticed the lights around the heater controls dont work anymore, (not as important) but i will try and find the post you mentioned and see if it can help me, i looked at the wiring diagrams but they make no sense to me lol i need to get into wiring a bit more to understand it, any further input would be great and i will update as soon as i can. thanks, matt.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Matt,

If the fuses check out, then I'd check the Trans. shifter bulb (if auto trans.),
then would pull the speedo cluster and check & change out all bulbs w/ new, regardless of condition (had to do this on the '97 Ford Aspire here, wasn't about to pull the speedo cluster multiple times..) .

If no joy, let us know, my schedule is busy the next several days, but hopefully between Dave, myself and other helpful members here, we can help w/ back-tracking the electrical side of things..

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Ok MattMan...
Here goes (with pictures)...

The power (12v) comes from the "TAIL"fuse (look for "A" in a triangle) and feeds 12v to all the dash lights...(marked as "instrument cluster"= IC)
You will notice off the bottom of IC there is a "B" in a triangle...that is the negative side of the of the lamps.
(schematic 1)
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/daveinohio10/kia-forums/SephiaDashLights1.gif

The negative end of the Lamps "B" goes to the second schematic (2) through a blue/black wire to (5) on junction connector15. Then it leaves junction connector15 (6)
with same wire colors and goes to "Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch (4) where it would normally be "dimmed" by toggling this wire on/off through pin (2) to ground.

(how it works)
The dimmer circuit switches on and off the dash lights very quickly and depending on the frequency it does it at your eyes see either brighter or dimmer light.

So you need to draw a simple schematic block diagram...
power through "tail light relay", then through 10A "tail" fuse, then through the "5 dash light bulbs", then through the "instrument panel dimmer switch" (in on pin 4 out on pin 2) and then to the ground (body) of the car.

(schematic 2)
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/daveinohio10/kia-forums/SephiaDashLights2.gif

Start at the fuse (tail) with a volt meter and look for 12v, then check for 12v at the Red/Black wire feeding the "Instrument cluster", then check for 12v at the blue/black wire normally going to pin4 at the dimmer. you should have 12v at all of the above points.
Also check for 12v at the blue/white wire going to pin3 of the dimmer connector.
If not post where you "lost" the 12v.

By putting a wire from pin4 (blue/black) on the dimmer connection to the body/frame/ground of the car the dash lights should light up full brightness. You are bypassing the dimmer electronics.

The images won't post correctly but the links should work.
I'm here to help if needed
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
12 Posts
I would go to the dealership... act like you want to get it fixed. Most likely they'll tell you what they're going to do, then say "thanks but I don't think I can afford that right now", then do it yourself. Much easier than trial and error. ;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it looks like i've got it squared away, thank you for the detailed info DavesSpectra, that helped me tons, i checked all of it, and everything checked out okay, so i took out the speedo (very simple actually) it turns out i burnt the bulbs when i plugged the dimmer switch in, (they were toasted) so i am just going to keep the wire looped in there, got dash bulbs out of a totaled sephia, it wouldn't work at first, but i put a new piece of wire in the plug looped it and taped it in, so, all is well now. i kindly thank all of you for your input! it has helped me solve the issue, now i know how to actually test wires for voltage, and test the sensors to see if any are failing voltage Ohms etc.. (got a cel still) kind regards, matt.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
You should have grabbed the dimmer module from the donor also and finished the repair!
No thanks required as I see you are helping others now!
See ya on the forum...
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi my name is roberto i have kia rio 2001 automatic 1500cc. my speed meter it dosent work whats the cause , how many miles should run per gallon
? i made a n overhaul more than a year ok the button of over drive should i used only on highway or city too whats the real meaning of this button? im waiting for your answer regards Roberto :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi, it could be a fuse thats causing your dash lights not to work, chek all your fuses, also your kia rio gets 22mpg city and 28 highway, so 25 average. the overdrive button on your rio is basicly acts like a 5th gear for an manual transmission, even though its an automatic, it helps your car travel more effeciantly by driving in a lower gear while the engine travels at a faster rpm, desighned to increase gas mileage, you can find any of these awnsers by doing a search, and there is a forum specially for your rio to ask questions, this is for 1st gen sephias, - matt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts