Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 EX V6 and today I was eating my lunch with the engine off listening to a book over Bluetooth. Well I went a little too long and then tried to start the engine. I got the sound that is made when your battery is dead. I went to a parts store to get a pair of jumper cables which took about 15 minutes. As soon as i returned I tried to start my car and it actually started. Only problem is now I have no sound from my speakers. My radio station presets were all set back to default. I can play the jukebox, USB Radio Station, and phone Bluetooth but no sound comes out of speakers. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this. I went to the dealership and they cant see me until Friday
;[

·
Registered
2 Posts
No sound from speakers

Happened to me today. Everything functions normally except for no sound coming from speakers. No system beeps, no music, and no voice menu.

Just got my Sorento back for a fuel rail replacement. i don't feel like dropping it off at the dealer again.

-Tad

·
Registered
2013 optima and 2013 soul
7 Posts
see if you have a reset on the front of the radio, if you do take a ink pin and push in for 10 seconds, that resets your radio, if you do not have a reset, you will have to unplug all connector plugs that plug in the back of the radio, leave them unplugged for 3-5 min, then plug them back in, it should work now, hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nobody has heard of this issue?
Have had this problem... no sound from speakers... on and off for two months. It is now completely dead.
Dealer in Texas replaced power amp located under drivers seat. Solved the problem for two days... now dead again.

Checking other websites, there MAY be a software problem with the head unit. One suggestion is that the bluetooth link to your phone may "think" that it's still making a call and has internally muted the sound system. They say to hit the "hang up the phone" button on the steering wheel and see if that restores the sound. Another says to unlink the bluetooth radio and phone.
Yet another suggestion is Find the fuse for the radio and also for the "room"/"memory" fuse. This is to force the radio computer to reboot and hopefully clear the problem.

With mine, there is no sound from any source. Sometimes it kicks in when first started. Most times not... and I have used the bluetooth/phone link which may be the problem.
I've also had the radio start up... but very low level and not controllable by either the dash volume control OR the steering wheel control... which supports the theory that this is a software problem.

Mine is still under warranty and it'll be going to the dealer, so I haven't tried any of the above as I want the dealer to see the problem and if any of the suggestions work they can then report it to head office to get the software fixed and a service bulletin issued.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have had this problem... no sound from speakers... on and off for two months. It is now completely dead.
Dealer in Texas replaced power amp located under drivers seat. Solved the problem for two days... now dead again.

Checking other websites, there MAY be a software problem with the head unit. One suggestion is that the bluetooth link to your phone may "think" that it's still making a call and has internally muted the sound system. They say to hit the "hang up the phone" button on the steering wheel and see if that restores the sound. Another says to unlink the bluetooth radio and phone.
Yet another suggestion is Find the fuse for the radio and also for the "room"/"memory" fuse. This is to force the radio computer to reboot and hopefully clear the problem.

With mine, there is no sound from any source. Sometimes it kicks in when first started. Most times not... and I have used the bluetooth/phone link which may be the problem.
I've also had the radio start up... but very low level and not controllable by either the dash volume control OR the steering wheel control... which supports the theory that this is a software problem.

Mine is still under warranty and it'll be going to the dealer, so I haven't tried any of the above as I want the dealer to see the problem and if any of the suggestions work they can then report it to head office to get the software fixed and a service bulletin issued.
It's the radio. I thought mine was under warranty. Guess what. It's not.

The radio is only warranty for 10,000 miles. That should tell you something. I had to replace it twice now. $280 each time. At least after complaining enough to the dealer they split the cost on the second one. I think it does have something to do with streaming music through your Bluetooth form your phone. And stopping and starting the car. Frustrating but the dealer tried all of the steps above. They even made calls to Kia telling them that they should cover it. No luck.

I wish you luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
The car is due to go into the dealer tomorrow. Started it this morning and the radio worked! That only lasted until I had to turn off the engine and then restart it. Now back to no sound again.
Tried pressing the "discontinue call" button on the steering wheel and the sound came back on. I did not have my phone with me at the time however so not sure what was going on with that. Maybe the head unit is busy trying to find the phone to pair with. ???
But this doesn't solve the problem every time it seems. Tried using the button when the sound cut out again with no success.
Stay tuned.... will report on what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took the car into the dealer Wednesday morning to have the head unit replaced. Two hours later, still no sound. Dealer says must be the power amp, even though that had already been replaced in Texas a month ago. Car went back in on Friday and new power amp installed and there's sound. However, since that seemed to fix the problem they couldn't justify leaving the new head unit so that was removed and the original head unit re-installed. Drove away with radio working but didn't go to far before trying to lower the volume. Neither the steering wheel control or the dash volume control had any effect. The display indicates the volume is going up or down but absolutely no effect on the speakers.
Turned around and took the car back in. They removed the original head unit and put the new head unit back in. Then reported we're back to no sound at all.
At this point the car has been in the shop the entire weekend and they are replacing wiring harness a piece at a time from another car on the lot.
I'm starting to wonder if KIA is Korean for "piece of crap". Won't ever buy another one of these vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a fuse problem... or a stuck mute button. The car has been in the shop now for a full week. At last count, they removed the door panels and found that one of the speakers in a rear door was missing a ground wire. That was fixed and there's sound again (for now). However, when they took it for a test drive the door latches were going on and off... so now they're looking at another system. Not sure if there's a co-relation between this and the radio. I just want them to piece it back together so I can trade it off for a Toyota Highlander. Man! Only owned this for 7 months and 18,000 kilometres and I want to be rid of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Service dept called and said the car was ready to go but they have to order in a new door lock for the driver's door. It is unlocking when the car is put in reverse. I don't understand how replacing the lock is going to solve that problem (it does latch when put into gear) but they're the experts.
Got to the dealer, got the keys and the radio worked BUT they had neglected to switch my satellite radio subscription over to the new head unit. Another hour wait while they sorted that out.
Taking the car to a NISSAN dealer next week to see what kind of numbers I can get towards a 2014 Pathfinder. Then comparison shop with Toyota.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Car went back into the shop to have the door lock actuator replaced (front passenger door).
Supposed to be a one hour job. Three hours later and the car is out of the shop. Service manager reports that the problem wasn't there when I drove in but they replaced the actuator anyway. Then... wait for it.... the radio wasn't working again. But, it oddly came back to life when they put the panel back on.
Now they want to replace the harness that runs to that door.
Car wasn't bought at this dealer and I'm not sure they really care. After all, they get to charge head office for shop hours for as long as this thing is in there. Sort of a "make work project".
I'd suggested just moving my stuff into another vehicle on the previous visit that took a week of shop time. They laughed at that suggestion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have to fix this myself

Tried to go to the dealer today and my Sornto is at 38000 mi and they said radio is under warranty until 36000 or 3 years. They said they would just replace the head unit at a cost 600 or so. i left and will have to fix this myself. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll try them all and post my findings.

-Tad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys is there any new updates/solutions on that problem? Bought a used 2012 Sorento EX V6 like 3 weeks ago and this happens to me... I tried reseting radio with the tiny reset "hole" on top right of radio, unhooking battery for 10 mins, checked fuses they looked alright .. Nothing worked. I'm at 76k kilos i'm out of warranty for audio i guess.. Meaning i have to pay 600$ to change a radio that just stopped working randomly?? Help please.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
What ever dealership you guys are dealing with are ripping you off. Remaned head unit's are all right about $100.00 with exchange. Even the nav units are that cheap. If Any one wants one from me send me a PM. I must get your old unit for the core and it MUST be the same unit.

Reactions: koreanwheels

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol i just called them and they told me the original Kia radio costs up to 2000$ to change. What a joke, i already hate Kia.

They will verify what is the problem on thursday and let me know and ill probably get another radio model with blutooth usb and all that crap and get it installed somewhere else (if the radio is the problem).

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Lol i just called them and they told me the original Kia radio costs up to 2000$ to change. What a joke, i already hate Kia.

They will verify what is the problem on thursday and let me know and ill probably get another radio model with blutooth usb and all that crap and get it installed somewhere else (if the radio is the problem).
You can get the radio cheaper just keep trying. Why get so upset, it's just ONE problem.
NO MORE SWEARING. Call another dealership to get a cheaper price, ask for a Remaned radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know i get mad pretty easily.. I'll check around see the options available.
Didn't know we couldn't swear, alright for the future.
Thnaks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
I don't know i get mad pretty easily.. I'll check around see the options available.
Didn't know we couldn't swear, alright for the future.
Thnaks for the help.
No problem
If you still can't find a radio, shot me a PM with the last 8 of your vin#, I'll give you the part# for your radio, should make it easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts