Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2002 sportage 2wd auto (mechanic special)

after few hrs of trobleshooting the truck i find out that i dont have spark on one of the coils (cylinder 2&3 no spark) i try plug the coil on the other connector and its working i have spark when i swap them but again nothing on cylinder 2&3 i have check timing,cam and crank shaft sensors, i found the wiring diagram and i do have continuity to the ecm (no broke wired) at this point i thinking about the ecm but i would like some inputs before i spend more $$$ thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
ECMs seldom go bad. I have seen a lot of posts where they were sure the ECM was bad only to find the problem elsewhere...Of course there is always a "first" time.
The KIA RIOs of the same year(s) have a problem with intermittent connectors right at the spark coils..The wiring was good the connector was bad..
The coils have +12volts on one side and the lead that goes to the ECM is pulled (shorted) to ground through an internal power transistor. You say you know which leads are coming from the coils...You could temporarily tap a ground wire on these leads and see if the coil(s) fire. If they both fire then you may actually have a bad ECM. Because you have one coil firing you can rule out the cam and crank sensors as neither would fire if they were bad.
Wiring harnesses on these cars get dry and brittle and are known to cause all kinds of troubles...
Dave

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Check the main connector for the coils at the back of the valve cover. I have seen them have loose pin tension on multiple terminals, which will cause a dead coil. It is a 4 pin white connector. I think. Its been a while since I messed with one.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Spongebob...
I do believe you are correct...His readings may "look" good when there is no current flowing but fail under "load"
I remember wiring harness problems with the coils on these cars.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did volt meter test to the coils wiring and the one that is working have a ground wire and 12v on the other side but the one not working have 12v on both :mad: can that be a bad ecu? also if the truck jump time can cause no spark on one of the coils?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
i did volt meter test to the coils wiring and the one that is working have a ground wire and 12v on the other side but the one not working have 12v on both :
You have an open circuit on the ground side, use the DVOM correctly (Ohms) and check the disconnected harness.

@ can that be a bad ecu?
not likely.

also if the truck jump time can cause no spark on one of the coils?
No!

... Philip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts