Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2011, LX model
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that Kia won't make any Sedonas for 2013. They might come out with something new in 2014...but nothing definite. Dang, that's not good news for us

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
that's the info I have too, new Peter Schreyer makeover model due out after the release of the new Rondo/Carens.

Where are you located jcoast? Would be helpful if you could fill out your DRIVES and LOCATION profile on the left as vehicles are not the same worldwide and release times and models are also not the same.

Good buys on 2012 models at present, my dealer had about 4 or 5 when I was their last week.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
this is from the KIA media website with regards the Sedona

The minivan segment has been and will continue to be important to Kia. Although there will not be a 2013 model year Sedona, our plans call for the current generation vehicle to be available at dealerships through 2012, with production scheduled to resume in 2013.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Kia may be setting to shake up the minivan segment with the 2013 Sedona. They have been banging out some winners and may be dropping a bombshell on the Caravan and Odyssey...preparing to set the standard on what a modern minivan should be. The current Sedona is behind the times compared to what other companies offer, the new one may blow them all out of the water. I personally will keep my 2011 until it dies even with it being outdated, I don't need fancy...I need reliable...and so far it has been a great vehicle.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I just replaced the radiator in mine at 192,119 miles. At the same time replaced the oil, and the front brake pads. For an OEM radiator, it cost me $160, plus brake pads, coolant, transmission fluid, oil, and filter totaling $90 - for a grand total of $250. Did all the labor myself. It's gotta make it until I can get my hands on a 2014-2015 Sedona.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I just hope they stay roughly the same size. That concept drawing of the KV7, which I've heard rumors is the basis for the next Sedona, looks too small to be a proper minivan.

I still kinda wish I got a Sedona instead of my Optima, but hey, you know what they say about hindsight.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
just saw this on Autoblog when they were listing the 10 vehicles that would be gone for 2013 model year

The minivan segment has grown from fiercely competitive to downright cut-throat and earning an embarrassing "Poor" rating in the IIHS roof-crush test certainly didn't help this family hauler. However, this isn't really goodbye for the Sedona as Kia has plans to re-enter the minivan market as early as 2014 with a re-tooled replacement.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
A hybrid Sedona maybe? We can hope.
Think about it, how much of the market would they corner with a hybrid minivan? With the price of gas just going up and up...no brainier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A hybrid Sedona maybe? We can hope.
Think about it, how much of the market would they corner with a hybrid minivan? With the price of gas just going up and up...no brainier.
To each his own but I'd go for a turbo diesel vs a hybrid...

(IIRC they have turbo diesel's in Europe for years.)

How about this... Next version weighs 3,000 vs 5,xxx + lbs...
Make the chassis out of aluminum /carbon fiber... Use Plastic body panels like used on Saturn cars.

With the price of fuel (no matter what fuel is being used) and the number of people INCREASING in the world we need LIGHTER vehicles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Then It will cost $100K. Good luck selling that.

Mass production would bring the price down.

Weight is the enemy, weight costs fuel to move.

The other day I was reading Ommi magazine from I think 1982 or so a neighbor gave me.

In it were cars that got like 29mpg? city, over 40mpg hwy.

30 years later.... only a handful of (reasonably priced /non-hybrid=big dollar to repair) cars get the same.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
To each his own but I'd go for a turbo diesel vs a hybrid...

(IIRC they have turbo diesel's in Europe for years.)

How about this... Next version weighs 3,000 vs 5,xxx + lbs...
Make the chassis out of aluminum /carbon fiber... Use Plastic body panels like used on Saturn cars.

With the price of fuel (no matter what fuel is being used) and the number of people INCREASING in the world we need LIGHTER vehicles.

I agree with the TDI.
Plastic body panels suck hairy sack, they crack when cold if hit to hard (a guy I know did this to his Oldmobile, walking out to his car one winter morning, slipped on ice, caught himself on his fender, the fender shattered {shadoobie})
Aluminum is where it is at.
Lighter than steel but twice as strong.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
here's a satellite shot of where the Sedona is built in South Korea. Its the Sohari Plant and they also build the Rio at this location. The plant covers over 123 acres and the building area is 2,327,306 sq. ft.

the maybe into change over phase at the factory because the production figures for August are the lowest so far this year at least for export purposes, not changed much for the domestic market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts