Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I need some help here. Kia Rio5 2006

Had some rough starts for a month but ran fine when warmed up. Then eventually it started misfiring pretty bad and had a huge power loss with a really rich smell out of the exhaust. Thinking the plugs or wires were bad, I changed the spark plugs only to see that plug wells 2 and 4 were drenched in oil and those plugs were fouled.

Valve cover gasket was no good so I replaced that, and in doing so, noticed that the PCV valve was clogged pretty bad so I replaced that. Hoping that the clogged PCV valve, in turn blowing the VCG, in turn flooding the spark plug wires and shorting them was my problem in the first place, I put everything back together. During the process I did visually verify spark on all 4 plugs and wires so I don't think those are bad. Still running the same after all of that except that now cylinder 3 is fouling as well.

Any ideas? Would a clogged cat cause misfires and foul plugs? Some sensor gone awry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
edit tool isn't working. Just wanted to add that the check engine light is flashing, but the diagnostics tool is not picking up any codes.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
If you lack power yes one thing to check is the cat or cats my o2 has 2 cat,s. second if the light is blinking that indicates a missfire condition is happening and it wont set the code untill enough missfires have happened. I had the same thing with the valve cover gasket also. your engine is different than mine i have no exp with your engine sorry but did you have any other codes? i had the same symtoms with mine and the second cat was blocked. http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service materials. good luck with it. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply ronjohn. I am getting no codes at all on my reader. Is pulling the o2 sensor to unrestrict airflow a viable option for testing the cat?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,957 Posts
Pulling the O2 sensor will allow some pressure to be released ahead of the Cats. Why not do a pressure reading at the O2 bung hole...Anything above 2~3 PSI at 2k RPM would indicate a blocked exhaust (probably cats if that's the case).
The super rich fuel you have WILL damage the Cats if left in that condition.
You didn't post the mileage on the car and this would help some.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulling the O2 sensor will allow some pressure to be released ahead of the Cats. Why not do a pressure reading at the O2 bung hole...Anything above 2~3 PSI at 2k RPM would indicate a blocked exhaust (probably cats if that's the case).
The super rich fuel you have WILL damage the Cats if left in that condition.
You didn't post the mileage on the car and this would help some.
Dave
79,000 miles, oil regularly changed, only owner.

removing the O2 sensor didn't change anything in how it idles. I am begining to think it may be something else.

Is there a special tool to test the pressure at the sensor or is a compression guage good enough? Not sure if it can handle the heat.

I only tested the spark visually on each wire while turning over the car and grounding the plug at the block. Is it possible for the coil to go bad intermittently?

What about the MAF? This thing still smells like its blowing pure gasoline out the exhaust, there has to be something wrong with either the air fuel mix or the spark. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts