Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 lx white
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No power at all... That describes it as accurate as possible. I mean no light what so ever will come on, key in does absolutely nothing. Battery connections checked, battery checked at 12.6 volts. Fuses under hood checked. My next stop is gonna be the relays. Has anyone come across this before in any car? Wife reported clicking as she tried to start it then complete death. Fascinating.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 lx white
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sir, battery ground properly tight, 0 guage cable might I add, power at fuse box connector 12.6v

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,277 Posts
If the hazard light doesn't come on, then I don't see how it can be anything other than an issue with the battery (good voltage but bad cell), one of its connectors/wires, or fuse box. Will be interested in knowing what it actually turns out to be.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 lx white
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, disconnected positive from battery, reconnect, nothing. Disconnected ground from battery, reconnect, power again. Turn key, all lights up, to on position click click click back to square one. I discovered this cuz I went to exchange the battery. So now I have a brand new battery. One good thing good I guess. Any guesses? Working on relays later.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,069 Posts
Not knowing mileage or any add on's done..possibility of a bad alternator(diodes, or other connections there). Also the chance of a shorted out starter. Would have been a smart move to have had the original battery load tested for available cranking amps and possible dead cell before just replacing it. Need to perform diagnostics to find the cause before throwing parts at a problem...more costly doing the throw parts routine.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 lx white
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Relays check out, 105k on the car no add ons recently fixed the starter and right headlight connector. Electrical problems suck.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,277 Posts
... Disconnected ground from battery, reconnect, power again. Turn key, all lights up, to on position click click click back to square one. ....
Try running a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a different body ground point.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 lx white
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After checking battery, inspecting fuses, testing relays, exchanging battery, removing starter, testing starter, checking connections at fuse box... Decided double check battery ground it was slightly loose, there was a small piece of rubber clamped in between so... ground was poor. Cleaned it all up reattached and it worked. Imagine that sh**. I got it on video what symptoms it had I'll post that when I'm done, problem is now I fried the 175 amp fuse cuz I forgot to disconnect the battery while tightening the cable to the alternator. Have to order that fuse not found at AutoZone or any other autoparts near. Will keep you updated. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No power at all... That describes it as accurate as possible. I mean no light what so ever will come on, key in does absolutely nothing. Battery connections checked, battery checked at 12.6 volts. Fuses under hood checked. My next stop is gonna be the relays. Has anyone come across this before in any car? Wife reported clicking as she tried to start it then complete death. Fascinating.
Thank you for this thread. it helped me quickly find and fix my problem.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
499 Posts
After checking battery, inspecting fuses, testing relays, exchanging battery, removing starter, testing starter, checking connections at fuse box... Decided double check battery ground it was slightly loose, there was a small piece of rubber clamped in between so... ground was poor. Cleaned it all up reattached and it worked. Imagine that sh**. I got it on video what symptoms it had I'll post that when I'm done, problem is now I fried the 175 amp fuse cuz I forgot to disconnect the battery while tightening the cable to the alternator. Have to order that fuse not found at AutoZone or any other autoparts near. Will keep you updated. Live and learn I guess.
Where do you suppose the piece of rubber came from wedged in the negative battery cable?
Was it there all along from day one? And if so, why did it take all these years for it to act up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where do you suppose the piece of rubber came from wedged in the negative battery cable?
Was it there all along from day one? And if so, why did it take all these years for it to act up?
In my case the issue was a bad connection between the ground cable and the body. The #8 bolts that hold the ground cable to the body use plastic thread inserts the would not tighten or loosen. I relocated the ground cable to another place on the body and everything works fine.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,395 Posts
In my case the issue was a bad connection between the ground cable and the body. The #8 bolts that hold the ground cable to the body use plastic thread inserts the would not tighten or loosen. I relocated the ground cable to another place on the body and everything works fine.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts