Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked by a close friend to investigate why the oil in his sump disappeared on a 30 mile journey. He had started the engine in his Kia Sportage Diesel Turbo 2010, as he moved off the oil light flashed on/off , switched of checked oil level ok, he then proceeded to drive home when he got home a noise had developed in the engine, checked oil level again it was now very low below min mark dip stick, he then took it to a local main dealer who spent several day investigate the disappearance of the oil in the sump no leaks found, unfortunately the big ends were shot,also turbo requiring replacement, from my technical experience/knowledge my answer is pointing too the turbo failing allowing the oil to pass the seals in the turbo to end up going into the exhaust &burnt off also going down exhaust to the cat causing a check engine light to appear on in dash, has any other shortage owners or any Kia drivers had this fault with their vehicle engine , I would appreciate all replies as dealer has charged my friend for new engine warranty was rejected by Kia on dealers supplied information.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,498 Posts
The Oil light only comes on when oil pressure is extremely low usually 5-8lbs inch . I would imagine the engineers have checked oil pressure sensor and read temperatures etc. in ECU from the evidence have concluded it was oil shortage that caused damage.
Jeff

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
I was told by my Kia dealership that if the oil light came on, the damage is already done. Its not to be treated as a warning light. If you see it come on, put the car in neutral, and shut the car off ASAP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts