Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Ceed GS 1.6TD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flat battery so I jump started the car. The car now starts fine however the indicators or hazards no-longer work.
I have checked all the fuses and they all seem fine.

Anything else I can check before it goes to the garage?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've never understood the logic of jump-starting. OK, you might get the car mobile, but what do you do next time you have to start it? It's just not worth the risk of making an error with the jump connection.

I no longer have jumper leads, and my family is under strict instructions not to offer their cars as "starting mules" for other drivers. Luckily, our cars all use the same size battery, and swapping has usually got us out of trouble. Once the oldest battery is more than 3 years old, I buy a spare battery to have in reserve. I have been known to take a spare battery on long trips.

Some months ago, the young people next door asked for the loan of jumper leads and also some advice for using them. They refused to accept my opinions about jump-starting. and after drawing a blank with me, they made an absolute pest of themselves by running around to see if any of the other neighbours could assist. Not sure of the outcome, but I did see that one of their other cars was immobile for a while.

·
Registered
KIA Ceed GS 1.6TD
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The jump start boosted the power just enough to get it started. After a drive the battery has enough charge for normal operation.

Managed to get the indicators & hazards working again by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins. Shame this was after dismantling a lot of stuff to check for any faults.

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
I've never understood the logic of jump-starting. OK, you might get the car mobile, but what do you do next time you have to start it? It's just not worth the risk of making an error with the jump connection.

I no longer have jumper leads, and my family is under strict instructions not to offer their cars as "starting mules" for other drivers. Luckily, our cars all use the same size battery, and swapping has usually got us out of trouble. Once the oldest battery is more than 3 years old, I buy a spare battery to have in reserve. I have been known to take a spare battery on long trips.

Some months ago, the young people next door asked for the loan of jumper leads and also some advice for using them. They refused to accept my opinions about jump-starting. and after drawing a blank with me, they made an absolute pest of themselves by running around to see if any of the other neighbours could assist. Not sure of the outcome, but I did see that one of their other cars was immobile for a while.
Ok....car left at airport for 2weeks with interior light left on (for example) Return to car, battery flat. Totally logical to get jump start from RAC/AA rather than buy a new battery surely. Don't see your logic here.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Ok....car left at airport for 2weeks with interior light left on (for example) Return to car, battery flat. Totally logical to get jump start from RAC/AA rather than buy a new battery surely. Don't see your logic here.
OK, I see your point; maybe I was a trifle hasty with my judgement.

It's a different matter if you're getting a professional to do it, but I've never experienced the scenario you mention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts