Kia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 14, Sedona 17 LX+
29 Posts
As an idea - something to try (won't solve the problem, but will be interesting to see if it improves the situation), if you normally have the rear heater turned on you might want to try leaving it off (rear temp control = cold, rear fan = off) and see if the front heater air temp and/or engine temp warms up a little quicker. i.e, the engine coolant gets pumped all the way back to the rear heater in the right rear corner via hoses/tubes under the van, and if the rear fan is on it is further cooling the antifreeze back there with the cold air from the back of the van, all of which has to, to some degree, make it harder for the engine block and coolant as a whole to warm up

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As an idea - something to try (won't solve the problem, but will be interesting to see if it improves the situation), if you normally have the rear heater turned on you might want to try leaving it off (rear temp control = cold, rear fan = off) and see if the front heater air temp and/or engine temp warms up a little quicker. i.e, the engine coolant gets pumped all the way back to the rear heater in the right rear corner via hoses/tubes under the van, and if the rear fan is on it is further cooling the antifreeze back there with the cold air from the back of the van, all of which has to, to some degree, make it harder for the engine block and coolant as a whole to warm up
Yea I definitely knew to take that into consideration, thanks though.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So guys, I got home today and was getting ready to take the van for a rip and try to sort things out. I decided to let it idle for probably a good 30 minutes (no cabin heat on) while I cleared away 2 weeks of snow. Went and checked on it, temp gauge was one block short of being in the middle, it hasn't heated up like that all winter. It's -20C today, so not crazy warm or anything. I have no idea what's happening now haha. I'll play around with it tomorrow and take careful note of what the temp does.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the DI engine generates lower heat than traditionnal ones to start with.

It needs to run with a load to increase temps, I also see my temp needle dropping at stops when its just starting to heat up because idling is not sufficient to bring it to the right operating temp. The owners manual also says to avoid long idle times or long drives at slow speeds, probably for the same reason !

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
the DI engine generates lower heat than traditionnal ones to start with.
Yea I'm thinking maybe that's just what it is, I thought I had ran it in the past without the cabin heat on but maybe I didn't.

Yesterday I did some playing around with it while graphing the engine coolant temp with an OBDII app I have.

Outside air temp was around -25C, so cold but not too cold. I had the block heater plugged in before starting so right on start it was at -7. At 10 minutes of idling it was at 60. By 15 minutes it was starting to plateau at about 80, but that's only one square short of center on the temp gauge, higher than its been all winter.

I then turned the heat on full, in just a few minutes the temp dropped to 60 and the temp gauge reading one square again.

I then turned the heat off again and kept the engine at about 2000 rpm, it heated up to 80 again pretty quick. Keeping the rpms up I turned the heat on full and even with 2000 rpm with temp dropped to 70 in just a couple minutes. I then turned the heat to about 1/3 fan speed and the coolant temp leveled off.

So what I've figured is having the cabin heat on at all is just robbing the heat from the engine. My wife has always used "auto" and it just blows barely warm air the whole time at full blast and the engine doesn't heat up. So what I'm thinking is that auto function doesn't work near as well as it should and she needs to be using manual fan speed selections. Maybe leaving it just on low for when it's command started and idling and then only pushing it to a half fan speed while she's driving to give the engine a chance warm up.

It's either that or my thermostat magically fixed itself while sitting for 2 weeks but I doubt that's the case haha.

It's unfortunate that it just can't maintain heat, even at -25 I wouldn't expect that to be a problem. Looking at garage reno options now to make the van fit inside as we'll be up north here for at least a few more years and with 6-8 months of cold weather every year it's just not sustainable. I've always lived in cold places but an extra command start and 10 minutes of idling has always been enough to warm things up. Damn this efficient engine! Thanks for all the help and input guys, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
129 Posts
One thing I totally miss about big ole '70's 'merican steel is the frigid AC and how the heat blows right where G-d intended--on your toesies!

If I had a complaint about my Kia, it's that I have no idea where the floor air flows, 'cause it sure ain't over ma feet.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts