1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SI 1.6L Auto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 Kia Rio SI hatch.

When I open the car door there is no alarm to advise that the external lights are still on.

Is this common in these Kia's these days.

Thanks

kiwalian

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I am in Canada & No exit warning on my SX Either. However my Lights go out automatically on my SX "top of the range" model no matter what position light switch is left in On or Automatic etc.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2012 Kia Rio SI hatch.

When I open the car door there is no alarm to advise that the external lights are still on.

Is this common in these Kia's these days.

Thanks

kiwalian
I'm in Canada too. Same thing here on my 2012 Rio EX. Told about it to my dealer and the answer was the same: since your lights go out automatically, no need for a chime. I have auto lights. But I never tested the system. What is automatic is me turning off the lights before leaving my car!!!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Even without the auto switch, lights go out when you remove the key and open the driver door. Has been this way in Kia vehicles for a long time. Even my nearly base model Rondo and Sedona do that, they do not have automatic setting on the headlights.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Even without the auto switch, lights go out when you remove the key and open the driver door. Has been this way in Kia vehicles for a long time. Even my nearly base model Rondo and Sedona do that, they do not have automatic setting on the headlights.
My 13 LX Rio5 does not operate this way, first couple of times I've gotten out at night and forgot to turn off my lights. I noticed after I closed the door, and my key was removed, the headlights were still on.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Rio will switch its lights off after about 30 seconds of you leaving the car. I never put the lights on the auto switch and if I have left them on they switch off themselves.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I have a base model '13 LX Rio5 with no options at all. I park, remove my key, open the door, and my lights turn off... every time. I get in the car and start it and the lights come back on. I have not touched my headlight controls in a long time. I don't know why all cars are not equiped like this, it's so nice to never kill your battery. My '69 Cadillac had auto headlights too... if they could do that over 40 years ago, should be standard on every car made today.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
It's even sweeter in my Canadian '13 SX. I leave it on 'Auto' all the time. If there is enough light out, it will turn on or only use the day time run lights. If if is dark enough out, the head lights automagically come on. And it all turns off when I turn off my car and get out. Essentially I never have to turn on or off heads lights. It is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX
17 Posts
Willywidget,
would you post picture of your Daytime running lights? We do not have it in US, so it would be interesting to know how they look like and ask my dealer to install it for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
For sure, I had been intending to take a video of the Auto setting on my car. For example mid afternoon when I pull up to my garage the day time run lights will be on. However as I pull into the garage and it gets darker, the head lights come on.

From some of the other posts I read, this 'Auto' setting doesn't seem to behave the same for everyone. It seems to be split between Rios like mine and Rios were you cannot have the LED day time run lights without your headlights. Unfortunately the weather is fairly bad today and we have a snow storm warning which seems about right. As soon as I get a nice day with some light I will take a video.

·
Registered
333 Posts
willywidget,Your Hatchback SX LEDs are your daytime running lights without the headlamps being on? My SX Sedan has both on in the "On" position & in "Auto" just the headlamps are the DRLS. Kia Canada & my dealer says that the way it is & won't help me change anything.Never seen any other vehicle DRL'S with LED'S & headlamps on together:mad:. Nice weather today if you drive a snowplow for a living?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
willywidget,Your Hatchback SX LEDs are your daytime running lights without the headlamps being on? My SX Sedan has both on in the "On" position & in "Auto" just the headlamps are the DRLS. Kia Canada & my dealer says that the way it is & won't help me change anything.Never seen any other vehicle DRL'S with LED'S & headlamps on together:mad:. Nice weather today if you drive a snowplow for a living?
Thought I read in one of these threads that it seems to be only the sedans which don't have LED's only as DRL's. Even then, it's not consistent. Some sedans do and some don't. In my hatch the LED's are the DRL's and when the headlights come on the LED's go dimmer. I'd be pissed if mine didn't work that ways since that is how the car is promoted in the brochures.

·
Registered
333 Posts
marleyfan61 I am pissed! but so far no help from dealer or Kia canada:mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wish I had a snow plow today rroyce! ;)

Marleyfan described the same behaviour of my SX hatch. I leave my car's light position on 'Auto.' The only thing that comes on is the LED accent/day time running lights. Only when it is dark enough out, first thing in the morning or late evening, do the actual head lights come on. When the headlights do come on, the LEDs dim a little and function more like parking markers.

I've found it kind of neat when out travelling and the sun is setting, then automatically the headlights come on. That is the other thing, when running on the LEDs, there is no headlight indicator on my dash. Only when the actual headlights come on does the indicator come on. They really are true automatic, set and forget, lights.

I cannot believe they would cripple the Sedan like that. I know the Sedan was kinda of an after thought. Oh crap, people might want a sedan, we'll have one next year. I don't know why they didn't just keep the hatch's front end too. I wish you luck rroyce. Anyone have a Sedan where the LEDs function like DRLs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts